2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, some info. I've owned a 2014 Focus Electric, 2017 Fusion Energi, and now my 2020 FE Hybrid. Stop Safely Now is a warning that pops up on Ford's hybrid vehicles when there is an issue with the electric powertrain causing the battery to be disabled or the engine causing it to be disabled.

At 828 miles on the Escape I experienced my first stop safely now. I've seen it on both of my other Ford electrics too, but never in this way.

I had just left my house after being home roughly 30 minutes. About 100' down the street the engine kicks on as is normal since its going up a hill. A few seconds later the engine turns off, I get the warning chimes and it says stop safely now. I was still able to use the electric motor to about 9kW max to pull over safely. I turned the car off and back on with the same message. So I decided to turn the car off for a few minutes to let it reset. I opened and closed the door and waited 2 minutes. Car turned on and engine started with no issues. I've put another 20 miles on it since this happened yesterday without incedent.

I pulled codes right away. 2 PCM codes.

P1A0C - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module Engine Disabled - I've never seen this one before. On the electrics i've seen only a battery disabled code.
P0340 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit

No MIL is currently on. I didn't clear the codes either. Checked wiring to the sensor it looks fine.

One time fluke or should I bring it in? I have a few other minor annoyances with this car I do want addressed, but with my last car I was in the service department so much I really hope its not the same with this one. Maybe I should stop buying Fords...

See the red triangle below, right side which is the SSN symbol.

·
Registered
482 Posts
First, some info. I've owned a 2014 Focus Electric, 2017 Fusion Energi, and now my 2020 FE Hybrid. Stop Safely Now is a warning that pops up on Ford's hybrid vehicles when there is an issue with the electric powertrain causing the battery to be disabled or the engine causing it to be disabled.

At 828 miles on the Escape I experienced my first stop safely now.One time fluke or should I bring it in? I have a few other minor annoyances with this car I do want addressed....
Take it in....you probably have as much or more experience with Ford electrics than others on this website...also the fact you’re asking is a good indicator you need to it to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2,250 Posts
Perhaps a glitch with their software programming? Definitely take it to the dealer in case it's something more serious. There may even be updated software available- here they don't bother updating anything unless the customer raises a complaint of a fault.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take it in....you probably have as much or more experience with Ford electrics than others on this website...also the fact you’re asking is a good indicator you need to it to the dealer.
I'm more of curious if anyone else has seen this. I just don't really like going to the dealer anymore. I'll probably bring it in though.

Perhaps a glitch with their software programming? Definitely take it to the dealer in case it's something more serious. There may even be updated software available- here they don't bother updating anything unless the customer raises a complaint of a fault.
Yeah I need to hook my UCDS up and see if there are any software updates. What I've found is the dealer here will ONLY update if there is a TSB/SSM for that issue. They just diagnose it the normal way otherwise...

·
Registered
59 Posts
3000 miles on mine so far and nothing like that has happened. I would definitely take it in for something like that, take full advantage of that warranty while it’s there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last week, I drove mine from Charlotte, NC to a location just north of Baltimore, MD (460 miles). It was fine on the way up, throughout the rest of the week, but on the return home on Thursday while on the Interstate, I got hit with the "Stop Safely Now" warning and it dropped in speed to 20 mph. Once I came to a complete stop, it shut off and would not start again for about 20 minutes. I was then able to get it to start (no MIL at that time), but about 70 miles later, it did it again and this time set the MIL.I dropped it off at the dealership on Friday morning. This was right at 1700 miles on the odometer.

They checked it out and said "it set a code about "Fault in Drivetrain", but not much else. They reset it, re-flashed it, but now it makes a different sound (the only way to explain it is a 'strained electric whirring noise', and is on top of the normal 'drone' sound for the pedestrian alert.), and they blew that off. Their "tech" said it was a "result of re-flashing and will correct itself in 50 miles". I am honestly afraid to drive it beyond local driving at this point, but will drive it at least 100 mi tomorrow see what happens since I just got it back this evening.

If it comes back, will let you guys know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to know what the codes were. Can you look at the paperwork and see if it was listed on there? Curious if there is any correlation with my codes.

Mine hasn't done it since and I'm about to hit 1000 miles so roughly 150 miles since it happened. I did check the code again and the cam sensor one disappeared but the other one remains. No MIL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined this forum just to post that our 2020 escape hybrid just did the same thing this weekend with 3,100 miles. Had to have it towed to the dealer. Dealer is saying they cant see anything in the computer and cant duplicate the problem. Unacceptable considering the vehicle is carrying my wife and son. Between this and my raptor being in the shop for 3 months total for various issues I'm about done with Ford.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let me add another: I had to drive 170 miles away from home to transport some equipment. And mine did it again at just over 2,000 miles, less than 250 miles since the last occurrence.

I will say this though: The drive down was on the same tank of gas where I filled up before the first time it occurred. I ran that gas out completely, and waiting to see how it performs on the drive back home tomorrow. I will say that the weird noise got worse, but after about 20 seconds, it disappeared and it seems normal now.

I am going to make sure I have roadside assistance ready to call, and if something happens I am considering getting an attorney involved as I am going to push for lemon law buyback and go through the three-strike process (In NC, a vehicle can go into service for the same problem 3 times. If the same problem occurs without a solution after that, it must be bought back under state lemon law - I know this process very well as I went through it once before with a vehicle from another brand in 2014.I cannot give any specific details as to what kind of vehicle or the final agreement/settlement because of an NDA and all that, but I can say it does require buyback at original price if its less than a certain age as dictated by the law, but other states may vary).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, since this can pose a safety problem: I wanted to suggest filing a complaint on nhtsa.gov if you haven't already. I am thinking if everyone who runs into this reports it, it might actually get addressed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For the forum: again at 2,218 miles and this time, it left the 12V battery dead. Electrical fault is all the pass app tells me right now. Will try to get actual codes tomorrow when I talk to the dealership where I had it towed.

·
Registered
61 Posts

At 828 miles on the Escape I experienced my first stop safely now. I've seen it on both of my other Ford electrics too, but never in this way.

I had just left my house after being home roughly 30 minutes. About 100' down the street the engine kicks on as is normal since its going up a hill. A few seconds later the engine turns off, I get the warning chimes and it says stop safely now. I was still able to use the electric motor to about 9kW max to pull over safely. I turned the car off and back on with the same message. So I decided to turn the car off for a few minutes to let it reset. I opened and closed the door and waited 2 minutes. Car turned on and engine started with no issues. I've put another 20 miles on it since this happened yesterday without incedent.

I pulled codes right away. 2 PCM codes.

P1A0C - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module Engine Disabled - I've never seen this one before. On the electrics i've seen only a battery disabled code.
P0340 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit

No MIL is currently on. I didn't clear the codes either. Checked wiring to the sensor it looks fine.

One time fluke or should I bring it in? I have a few other minor annoyances with this car I do want addressed, but with my last car I was in the service department so much I really hope its not the same with this one. Maybe I should stop buying Fords...

See the red triangle below, right side which is the SSN symbol.

View attachment 76312
I experienced one of those events last month. Thank you for mentioning that the codes are stored. I never thought of going back to the dealer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I just had it happen again today. Here is a video of what happened. Sorry for the expletive and vertical video - I didn't actually expect the stop safely now to happen in this video.

Edit: Video has no audio now to appease one moderator here. Feel free to view with audio from my YouTube profile.

If you listen carefully you can hear as I apply throttle the engine rev 's up but it doesn't actually reach the wheels as indicated by the power gauge. The EV power shoots way up to compensate. It felt noticeably different than normal.
If you listen carefully you can hear as I apply throttle the engine rev 's up but it doesn't actually reach the wheels as indicated by the power gauge. The EV power shoots way up to compensate. It felt noticeably different than normal.

I then was limited to 9kW electric power only and I pulled into a parking spot at a local bank down the street. Pulled codes and the only code was the P0A1C for engine disabled. No other codes this time.

Its going to the dealer on Wednesday. It was already there last week for the APIM dying and brake pedal squeak and sub rattle. They replaced the APIM and said they fixed the brake pedal squeak but couldn't replicate the sub issue. I showed my salesman (my friend actually) the sub rattle and he agreed that isn't normal. The brake pedal thing is BS. Should have been fixed. Now the SSN issue.

I honestly don't feel super safe driving it. Its not fun to be going down the road at 50mph and suddenly have the car limit you to almost no power. At 8kW I wouldn't be able to make it up the hill entrance to my subdivision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Breeves002, imagine that happening on the interstate in a 70mph zone and a tractor-trailer flying up on you right as you lose power (that was my first SSN experience. I should have worn my brown pants LOL).

Anyway, after mine was towed on March 5th, the dealership servicing it did say they were able to get it started on Friday March 6th, but it was making a loud and unexpected noise that warranted getting "a Ford hybrid engineer" engaged. As of my last call with them, they still do not have a solid diagnosis and no ETA on when I will get it back. They only speculated the sound was a failed bearing or motor, and they suspect it's the alternator given the 'belt whine' and 'whine that sounds like a failed bearing', and it could have shorted out or overheated causing an unexpected power flow problem, tripping the drivetrain safety module to disable the engine. Again, thats only speculation at this point, not confirmed If I hear something new, I will post another update.

In the meantime, if you or anyone else gets the SSN message: be sure to take it to a dealership, note the Stop Safely Now, loss of power, and that you are aware of other owners experiencing the same issue, also inform @FordService on twitter or facebook - they are already aware and tracking as well.

Also, I do have a few questions for those who have gotten the SSN message:
When was your Escape manufactured?
Is yours a Titanium Hybrid, or another trim level?

·
Registered
92 Posts
... as I apply throttle the engine rev's up but it doesn't actually reach the wheels as indicated by the power gauge. The EV power shoots way up to compensate. It felt noticeably different than normal. ...
I saw an EV output of 45kW on your dash. To get that much power from a 216v battery, you need 45,000/216 = 208 amps. I'll wager it was a thermal shutdown in the inverter. My peak sustainable EV to date is 22kW.

However, that pattern should look familiar. I see it on every cold start; lots of EV with only a little ICE power out of the driveway, until I get around the first corner. The C-Max did the same thing. The cold start behaviour is supposedly a catalytic converter warm-up period? The big question is: Why did it hit at 40+ MPH? Hardly a cold start, put perhaps emissions-related?

... they suspect it's the alternator ...
Sigh.... the dealership thinks there's an alternator in a hybrid? Hardly a good sign.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
Edit: Video has no audio now to appease one moderator here. Feel free to view with audio from my YouTube profile.
The Moderators on the Board work together as a team. The video was in violation of the Board's posting rules. Here's the rule that the poster violated:

8. Keep it clean - not just your Escape, but your words. Forum software automatically substitutes "*" for swear words. If you use acronyms, special characters, spelling or numbers to beat the system? Don't. (And too many *'s start feeling like the profanity itself.) This is a family-friendly, G-rated board. All profanity will be removed from posts, and if the problem persists, an infraction may be issued to the offending member.

If you're not familiar with this Board's posting rules, please click on this link and familiarize yourself with them: Welcome and Guidelines

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with fbov Hybrids don't have alternators and would be a RED Flag whether this Dealer has much experience with Hybrids. I probably have another 3 months before my Escape Plugin will be available, hopefully they will figure out the bugs before I get it.

Paul

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is possible FWD vs AWD makes a difference, but I doubt it. Mine is AWD. I'm waiting on the dealer to tell me nothing is wrong. Its going in on Wednesday.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts