2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
2013 1.6L EcoBoost SE, Tuxedo Black
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D I can confirm that it IS possible to upgrade our FE's to have NAV and there's no funny business from LockPick, or any other aftermarket stuff. :bunny:

I bought Turbonium911's salvaged 2013 FE APIM module with NAV, and it's plug and play! I have a 2013 FE SE that came stock without NAV, and after talking to the dealer, and surfing through the forums here, it seemed like Ford had our hands tied in keeping us from upgrading our FE's. Ergo, THIS IS EXCITING!

All you do is disconnect your battery, remove the front center trim around the MFT, remove the screen and APIM, swap the APIM, and put everything back together and reconnect the battery. *** My FE has almost 60K miles, so my warranty is out the window. If you do this, it may void some warranties, but if you're like me and you have nothing to lose, it's no worries:)

If you're interested, here's a solid guide video on how to pop up the trim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoonUYXq4vc

*** He removes the connector from the negative terminal, but it's easier to unbolt the negative lead from the ground location on the underside of the FE's hood hinge....our FE's have the battery so close to the firewall, I don't think he really used a FE for the segment where the battery is disconnected, haha.

Please see the images below.

In the images is the NAV A5 SD card for the US and Canada. When you reconnect the battery terminal, SYNC does a complete reboot. You need to reload your contacts and pair your blutooth again, but it's totally worth it! It says to insert the NAV card and it auto updates. The rest is up to you to customize HOME, FAVORITES, etc!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Confirmed NAV :)

:) Here's proof of the NAV upgrade to my FE. I scratched out the street names for privacy reasons, but it works great :nerd: Thanks Turbonium!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Nice! Did you happen to inspect the new APIM for any kind of part number?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! Did you happen to inspect the new APIM for any kind of part number?
No, I did not. Probably would've been a good idea though. Hmm perhaps we could all just start looking for these from scrapped FE's though

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I'm not familiar with the guts of the system, but I thought there was a GPS module in there somewhere. That's cool that you got it to work. Maybe the cars come with the GPS module already installed. Ford parts list a GPS module. They also list the Accessary Protocol Interface Module, with and without nav. The one thing I noticed is that they sell multiple APIM, with the build date being the difference between them. Of course Ford is notorious for changing parts/part numbers throughout a build cycle.

Thing is, was this just blind luck that it works in your Escape? Do your build dates fall within the same part number? Do you have the VIN from the vehicle you got the part from? See if your build dates from both Escapes fall within the same time slot compared to what the Ford parts website says.

On the ford parts site, I can't use my VIN because my build was without nav. But if you just use the generic drop down menus, you will see all the APIM options under "Electronics and Telematics", then "mobile media".

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Thanks! I may try this. Did you happen to get a picture of the APIM module?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
:) Here's proof of the NAV upgrade to my FE. I scratched out the street names for privacy reasons, but it works great :nerd: Thanks Turbonium!
Does the GPS with the red 'X' go away for you?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not familiar with the guts of the system, but I thought there was a GPS module in there somewhere. That's cool that you got it to work. Maybe the cars come with the GPS module already installed. Ford parts list a GPS module. They also list the Accessary Protocol Interface Module, with and without nav. The one thing I noticed is that they sell multiple APIM, with the build date being the difference between them. Of course Ford is notorious for changing parts/part numbers throughout a build cycle.

Thing is, was this just blind luck that it works in your Escape? Do your build dates fall within the same part number? Do you have the VIN from the vehicle you got the part from? See if your build dates from both Escapes fall within the same time slot compared to what the Ford parts website says.

On the ford parts site, I can't use my VIN because my build was without nav. But if you just use the generic drop down menus, you will see all the APIM options under "Electronics and Telematics", then "mobile media".
I just watched the youtube vid on taking it apart, but I did know there was a GPS unit in there as well... if you go to the "Where Am I"... or whatever it's called in the Information features, it pulls coordinates... so the APIM module just unlocks it and lets you connect to it via MFT.

I honestly don't know when my build date was. I DID know that the APIM module with Nav that I bought was originally from a 2013 FE... as mine is a 2013, I figured they'd match up and I guess it was a gamble, but it could also be that it's not really that picky. There may be complications with any SYNC downloads/updates as it may get finicky trying to download some for my vehicle's VIN, but seeing as the maps are updated via SD card, I'm guessing the updates will most likely go smoothly:)

If we can buy Nav equipped APIM modules from salvage yards, I think that's our best bet over trying to get them from Ford if they require us to use our VINs for purchase/matching items... maybe we'll find an easier way

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
That 1st pic in the post IS the APIM
Yeah, that part number in the picture is for a display. And all the similar part numbers and displays on eBay show the display and the APIM together. I guess that's what throwing me off. Didn't realize you could separate the two and everything would be hunky dory.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
And what about the shark fin GPS antenna?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, that part number in the picture is for a display. And all the similar part numbers and displays on eBay show the display and the APIM together. I guess that's what throwing me off. Didn't realize you could separate the two and everything would be hunky dory.
That's a solid observation. I guess I didn't know about swapping the APIM module until Turbodium911 suggested the possibilities he found with his FE setup installed in his Focus.

Ergo, I never knew it was the source of the Nav, but it definitely made sense after I thought about what components in the car it gave the driver access to.

I'm not too familiar with the GPS shark fin antenna... are you asking if you need it to have a GPS signal to the FE before using the APIM? All the FE's have GPS built in, but the APIM's with Nav from the factory unlock the feature for the user.

I hope I answered your question! Sorry if I just added more confusion

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Don't think the new Escapes come with a Shark Fin antenna.

Vin
That may be true. But we are talking about a 2013 model year. The 2013 model year had the two different types of antennas. Just thought the shark fin was for the nav. But I guess it was just for looks.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
That may be true. But we are talking about a 2013 model year. The 2013 model year had the two different types of antennas. Just thought the shark fin was for the nav.
I dont think so. I Have 2, 2013's both with nav and they have the normal antenna.

Vin

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I dont think so. I Have 2, 2013's both with nav and they have the normal antenna.

Vin
Oh wow. Then how did Ford decide who got what antenna? I mean I have the factory roof rack and I got the normal antenna. You would think the roof rack would require a lower profile antenna. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts