2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Back at 6500 miles, I did my first oil change with my friend (A Ford tech) looking over. I put in Mobil's 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil, and a Premium Oil Filter from Mobil. After 1000 miles or so, I noticed that my range on a full tank decrease. Before, it was 650 miles of range, but it's now giving me around 480 miles of range. Is it because I did something wrong, or is it something else? Thanks in advance. Also, should I stick with Motorcraft oil Ford recomends, or is the mobil stuff fine?
Liquid Bottle Camera accessory Fluid Drink

Automotive care Packaging and labeling Font Auto part Liquid

·
Registered
2020 escape se awd
93 Posts
Hello,

Back at 6500 miles, I did my first oil change with my friend (A Ford tech) looking over. I put in Mobil's 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil, and a Premium Oil Filter from Mobil. After 1000 miles or so, I noticed that my range on a full tank decrease. Before, it was 650 miles of range, but it's now giving me around 480 miles of range. Is it because I did something wrong, or is it something else? Thanks in advance. Also, should I stick with Motorcraft oil Ford recomends, or is the mobil stuff fine?
View attachment 80608
View attachment 80609
Its probably something else. I have noticed that when i go from city to highway the range will increase due to the better milage. It would be best to check your instant miles per gallon or actual fill up to fill up using the gas pump/mileage figures. As to the use of mobile one I use to be a user a long time ago and i had a oil related problem using it. What caused the problem? Mechanical, filter, or oil did i leave it in too long? dont know but to this day im leery of mobile one and to a lesser degree synthetic oil (my last oil change I used a synthetic) ( I know I know its a pretty face) also i adhere to the specs per ford manual for my engine and the motorcraft filter, I dont know what engine you have but if you followed the specs it is probable something else. mike

·
Registered
396 Posts
A clue is probably in the time of year that your noticing the drop. Gas stations switch to a winter blend which doesn't burn as efficiently so you can expect to see drop in mileage there, and given the cold weather, some people like to leave their vehicle idling for extended periods of time in the morning to warm up their vehicle which will also kill mileage.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hello,

View attachment 80608
View attachment 80609
What does your oil cap call for, 0-20?....If so,that's good...I'm not a Mobil one fan at all..when mine was new, 500 miles, switched out the semi-syn Motorcraft oil to Pennzoil Ultra.5w-30, but stayed using a new Motorcraft filter, 910s....Noticed how quieter the engine sounded, couldn't tell about mileage being so new....Using this combo since..Now the newer oils have a SP spec. instead of the SN-PLUS,,,on the back of bottle, use only that if can find it in your weight..The newer SP comes in 0w-16, if yours calls for it..

·
Registered
545 Posts
….. Before, it was 650 miles of range, but it's now giving me around 480 miles of range. Is it because I did something wrong, or is it something else?
You didn’t give us your vehicle specs…..I’m guessing you’re driving a hybrid based on your 650 mile range….cold weather and Interstate speeds are enough to significantly decrease MPGs on a hybrid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn’t give us your vehicle specs…..I’m guessing you’re driving a hybrid based on your 650 mile range….cold weather and Interstate speeds are enough to significantly decrease MPGs on a hybrid.
Oh, sorry. I drive a 2021 Ford Escape SE hybrid.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium - The Dark Knight
168 Posts
As a fellow hybrid owner I can tell you that even if you drive the exact same route between several fill ups, its possible to see some pretty radical swings due to the following factors:

Weather - colder means the ICE engine runs longer
Tires - winter tires are usually much heavier than the stock Bridgestone Ecopia tires that came with the car
Fuel - Winter blends are also less energy dense, resulting in less mileage

NefCanuck

·
Registered
545 Posts
Has it been really cold where you live? If the vehicle’s running fine (and no codes)…. It’s probably just the weather and speed. The oil change has nothing to do with your mpg decrease. My low tank was last winter (35 mpg) and my high tanks were in the summer (48 mpg)….only difference was the weather. I live in MI.

Reactions: AFE123

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,835 Posts
Colder temps will drop your range.
That said, I have seen an oil filter reduce fuel economy.
On my 2005 Sable 3.0 24v using a Bosch filter was a guaranteed 8% fuel economy drop, it happened anytime I used one.
Fram, Mobil 1, Motorcraft, Purolator it never varied from 22 mpg city/28 hwy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A clue is probably in the time of year that your noticing the drop. Gas stations switch to a winter blend which doesn't burn as efficiently so you can expect to see drop in mileage there, and given the cold weather, some people like to leave their vehicle idling for extended periods of time in the morning to warm up their vehicle which will also kill mileage.
Hopefully, that's the problem.
Has it been really cold where you live? If the vehicle’s running fine (and no codes)…. It’s probably just the weather and speed. The oil change has nothing to do with your mpg decrease. My low tank was last winter (35 mpg) and my high tanks were in the summer (48 mpg)….only difference was the weather. I live in MI.
Yeah, it's been cold.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD
43 Posts
My mpg has really dropped off. I never have got much better than upper 30's, but now with the colder temps it is under 30. :-(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts