2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Esc a pay was purchased and ONLY serviced by the same dealer for 50,000 plus miles ... today he says I have swollen lug nuts ... really ???

The dealer will be more than happy to replace them for $130.00 with the same exact ones. Now why in the world would I do that if the ones that Ford provided were swollen... This must not be a new issue ... of course they are claiming its not their fault and its not a defective part but wear and tear. Yeah right ....

The real issue is Ford is knowingly providing lug nuts with cases that when subject to impact wrench torque are breaking the cases and distorting them causing the issue but no its not a defect in the part ... right my you know what.

So I bought a new set at AutoZone took my Esc a Pay to discount tires where they removed my swollen lug nuts and put on decent quality lug nuts, had to work for a while to get the defective Ford parts off and then guess what ?

Those great people at Discount Tires did not charge me anything!!!

Believe me this is my LAST FORD VEHICLE EVER!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
So my Esc a pay was purchased and ONLY serviced by the same dealer for 50,000 plus miles ... today he says I have swollen lug nuts ... really ???

The dealer will be more than happy to replace them for $130.00 with the same exact ones. Now why in the world would I do that if the ones that Ford provided were swollen... This must not be a new issue ... of course they are claiming its not their fault and its not a defective part but wear and tear. Yeah right ....

The real issue is Ford is knowingly providing lug nuts with cases that when subject to impact wrench torque are breaking the cases and distorting them causing the issue but no its not a defect in the part ... right my you know what.

So I bought a new set at AutoZone took my Esc a Pay to discount tires where they removed my swollen lug nuts and put on decent quality lug nuts, had to work for a while to get the defective Ford parts off and then guess what ?

Those great people at Discount Tires did not charge me anything!!!

Believe me this is my LAST FORD VEHICLE EVER!

I feel your pain. Couple of threads about it on this forum. Its pretty sad. My neighbor approached me yesterday saying his were toast and if I would order some new lug nuts for him. He also inquired about a better tire iron than the toy that Ford provides us. Of course standard issue tire iron won't fit over distorted lug nuts, so I don't know why they even bother with a spare tire.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I never heard of this, so I used Google. Apparently it is not just a Ford issue. It took less than a minute to find the same complaint about Toyota and Chrysler. I stopped there, but since car manufactures do more assembly of outsourced parts than actually manufacturing, it seems to reason it is an industry wide problem.

The issue arises mostly do to the chrome caps on the lug nuts. Corrosion forms between the nut and the cap, causing the swelling. Using the caps instead of plating the actual nut is probably cheaper. Could be nuts from Mexico and caps from China, with nobody checking for a tight, moisture proof, fit.

_--

·
Registered
145 Posts
ok! here is the take about the issue from a retired ASE master tech.
each and every car maker using alloy wheels ,uses in place of a solid acorn lug nut a cheap made nut with a stainless steel trim pressed on over the real working part, this is done mostly due to the EPA and how dangerous chrome plating chemicals are.

techs in a hurry to do a service. pop off the lugs with air guns. some fail to use the proper sized socket, both contribute to the SS cover becoming loose or swollen as in the first post. it only takes a few rotations to kill the lug nuts cover.
dealer try to rip us off with their high priced replacements of the very same part. so a simple goggle look up can come up with a replacement like I posted above. these are solid machined and not of a big cost.
yes the problem is across the board of car builders ,I had a Toyota Tacoma get a flat on the road, it had the same type of nut, only the concentric style. cost me a costly road side assist where even the tow operator had problems and wound up towing me to the shop for removal of the nuts with striped nut sockets after the cut off the SS. again amazon was able to supply a set of 24 for under 30 dollars with shipping, the seller shipped the same day 2 days later they hit my home via the us post office

for my 15 mustang I was able to get a set of solid also at a cheap price for a nut that looks factory

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My Mom's Grand Marquis had crappy OE lug nuts.. they stripped pretty fast.. they were brass colored and the replacements are now silver.. swollen Lug nuts.. a new one I have never heard of..

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
You should not use an impact wrench on lugs, I know they use it for speed, but when they put them on they are over torqued.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
You should not use an impact wrench on lugs, I know they use it for speed, but when they put them on they are over torqued.
Not if they know what they are doing and have the right equipment. I can easily over torque a lug nut with a socket on a breaker bar. That doesn't mean I'm gonna do it.

---

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
Not if they know what they are doing and have the right equipment. I can easily over torque a lug nut with a socket on a breaker bar. That doesn't mean I'm gonna do it.

---
Should not use a breaker bar as well, if they were hand torqued with a torque wench in the first place they should come off easy LOL :)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Not if they know what they are doing and have the right equipment....
Tire Rack presents a logical explanation of why impact wrenches should not be used for this purpose, even addressing the use of popular "right equipment" and its limitations / failings ....

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=107

Note that their argument isn't necessarily that over torque is the likely result, just inaccurate torque.

>>>>

Anyone else here ever own a car with spinner-type knock-offs to retain the wheels like the 1960 MGA of my youth?

No wrench of any kind for those puppies, just the satisfying thud of the bronze hammer on the chrome-plated brass 'ears' of the cast and machined spinner.

Yes, the heavy bronze hammer with a stubby wood handle (looking very much like a mini-sledge) came with the car ;-)

The later MGB without 'ears' that used a giant octagon wrench wasn't nearly so satisfying.

Impact wrench??? Meh!

;)

P.S. - My local Discount Tire has never once grumbled or resisted my request to NOT use an impact wrench on-or-off when working on my cars/truck/trailers. One reason they continue to get my business. Try asking your tire service provider politely and without harangue .... you just might find they enjoy working for a customer that takes obvious pride and care for their vehicles.

Reactions: ThunderRoller

·
Registered
145 Posts
OHHH please don't remind me about those retainers on the many small English cars that I also had owned .

as to breaker bars, i to use one in each car, but know how to feel when it is tight and not go any further

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Guys

Have your lug nuts checked asap. Was just at the dealer having brakes checked and had to replace 12 lug nuts due to them being swollen and can't be reused at a cost of 168$ and seeing as I have 67509km not under warranty!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey Guys

Have your lug nuts checked asap. Was just at the dealer having brakes checked and had to replace 12 lug nuts due to them being swollen and can't be reused at a cost of 168$ and seeing as I have 67509km not under warranty!
woah, I hope you declined.

You can get aftermarket for about $30 for all 4 wheels total.

Also do a search here and you'll see this is a common thing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Guys

I have just over 14k on my 2014 and have the same swollen lug nut issue, but was told by my Ford dealer that they are NOT covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Supposedly - like wiper blades or brake pads? Doesn't make sense to me - but I'm also not sure I want to replace mine with the same issue prone lug nut from Ford.

I'm taking my FE into Discount Tire soon for my winter tire change over, and they will charge me $1.50 each for solid lug nuts (as opposed to two piece Ford lugs) - which I'll be able to use with both my winter and summer wheels.

Disappointing! My dealer was also unable to find/resolve the water leak in my roof, so that issue is still outstanding (even after supplying them with copies of all the leaky roof information from this forum and providing pictures). Overall - I prefer working with this dealer, but it might be time to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'm not sure that "swollen" is the correct term. I have already gone full cycle with my whole lug nut experience. They are distorted, not swollen. It's from using impact wrenches. I have replaced mine with the same factory lugs and they are just fine after a year. It's because I do all my own maintenance and do not use an impact wrench. Not to mention that all the sockets at dealerships or other shops are worn out. And to compound the problem many of these so called "mechanics" just throw a 3/4" socket on there, which is a couple thousands of an inch larger than 19mm. What this does is accelerate the distortion factor quite a bit.

And it's not just Escapes, but across the Ford line up. And other brands as well. Totally sucks.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
One would think that if the mechanic damaged the lug nut(s) there would be a case to have them replaced by the mechanic's employer. Not an issue of warranty, but of 'you broke it, you fix it.'

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
One would think that if the mechanic damaged the lug nut(s) there would be a case to have them replaced by the mechanic's employer. Not an issue of warranty, but of 'you broke it, you fix it.'
True enough. And what I have also noticed is that once the "skin" over the lug gets distorted, many folks switch to a 3/4 socket because it still can still be forced on the nut. This, of course, just makes things worse.

I guess it's going to take somebody dying of exposure due to the fact that they could not change their flat tire with the tire iron due to messed up lug nuts. Then the manufacturer will make it right.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
In good weather, I run mag wheels with their specific lug nuts. I purchased a set of solid 1 piece chromed lugs ( $20.00 on Amazon) to replace the stock nuts for my stock rims and snow tire combo in the winter. I have my original lug nuts in excellent shape and will sell them for $10.00 (set of 20) plus shipping. PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
In good weather, I run mag wheels with their specific lug nuts. I purchased a set of solid 1 piece chromed lugs ( $20.00 on Amazon) to replace the stock nuts for my stock rims and snow tire combo in the winter. I have my original lug nuts in excellent shape and will sell them for $10.00 (set of 20) plus shipping. PM me if interested.

UPDATE: I was mounting my snow tires today and decided NOT to use these Amazon lug nuts. The diameter of the taper is smaller and I'm not sure they will fit right. If anyone else bought these, check before you install them and see what you think!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts