2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2018 Escape SE. I have had it about 28 months. This is something I had read a while back and "just never got around to it". Today I got my new ones in the mail and my lug wrench would not completely cover the old ones so they had swollen some in only 28 months. Hopefully the new ones will not do this so I will keep an eye on them. You definitely need to check yours.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Purchased new 2016 Ford Escape SE. Went for an oil change and tire rotation and was told the lug nuts were swollen and they couldn't rotate the tires for fear the lug nuts would break. BUT FOR A MERE 125.00 they could! Now here is my question...ARE THEY REPLACING ALL 20...OR A FEW OR WHAT? My friend looked at them when I got home and said they all didn't need replacing. Ok...we get the tool THAT CAME W/THE CAR out and LOW AND BEHOLD...it DOESN'T FIT the ORIGINAL LUG NUTS! I've contacted Ford via email and got the DUE TO THE VIRUS IT MAY TAKE A MINUTE FOR A RESPONSE...but they'd get back to me! I've read the lug nut issue is an issue!
"some" may be good now, but they won't be for long. I bought replacements off Amazon for like $25, DPAccessories I believe (and a slew of their tools to remove/tighten the new ones). Replace them all, throw the old ones away. They will all eventually swell and in the meantime, the finishes wont quite match. Replacements seem to be a hair longer than the OEMs. This is probably the only time i'd advise NOT going with OEM since they will eventually have the exact same problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went to Ford dealership where I purchased my 2013 Ford Escape for my normal oil change and tire rotation. I was told that they couldn't do the tire rotation because my vehicle had swollen lug nuts. They would have to replace the lug nuts for the cost of $120 and if I got a flat tire it would be difficult to remove them to change it. I held off and brought my car to a local tire sales place and they swapped them out in 10 minutes for the cost of $26.46. ?? Sure glad I went somewhere else. The guy didn't have a problem taking them off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Replaced the ones on a 2017 Escape. Went with a set from Amazon and they fit perfectly.

If you do replace them just make sure to not only get the thread size and pitch correct but also the same outside dimension so the factory lug wrench in the vehicle will fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So today I had an appointment at my dealership for my 2013 Ford Escape for a state inspection and oil change in which they always rotate the tires. They came to tell me that they couldn't rotate the tires because the lug nut caps were swollen, and they could not get them off to remove the lug nuts without cutting them off. And, if I had a flat, the lug nut would not be able to be removed to change the tire. It made sense to me, so I ignorantly swallowed the koolaid. :( They changed all 20 for $129, but "we didn't charge you for labor." I asked why this happened, and they said it was a "bad design" and due to moisture and debris getting into them and making them swell.

So tonight, I looked the problem up and for this site and everyone else this has happened to. I WISH I had left well enough alone and waited, but I don't know the intricacies of cars. I could have saved a lot of money getting them elsewhere and also wouldn't have gotten probably the same ones again that will swell. I'll know next time, and it seems like that next time will come from these comments. Thanks everyone! I'm bookmarking this place!

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
So today I had an appointment at my dealership for my 2013 Ford Escape for a state inspection and oil change in which they always rotate the tires. They came to tell me that they couldn't rotate the tires because the lug nut caps were swollen, and they could not get them off to remove the lug nuts without cutting them off. And, if I had a flat, the lug nut would not be able to be removed to change the tire. It made sense to me, so I ignorantly swallowed the koolaid. :( They changed all 20 for $129, but "we didn't charge you for labor." I asked why this happened, and they said it was a "bad design" and due to moisture and debris getting into them and making them swell.

So tonight, I looked the problem up and for this site and everyone else this has happened to. I WISH I had left well enough alone and waited, but I don't know the intricacies of cars. I could have saved a lot of money getting them elsewhere and also wouldn't have gotten probably the same ones again that will swell. I'll know next time, and it seems like that next time will come from these comments. Thanks everyone! I'm bookmarking this place!
We have a great board with lots of good information and some bad. I have been following for several year.

Reactions: Vader101
61 - 66 of 66 Posts