2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,772 Posts
You can also get the whole kit pre programmed to your VIN off AliExpress. Some sellers also offer free map updates.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts
I'd like to update mine but I don't drive it often enough to justify the money. I was getting free yearly map updates from the dealer for my Sync2 but I think that's finished?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Still using the standard Sync 3 in my wife's '17 Escape. It works fine and, rather than getting Ford map updates, she prefers to use a wired connection and Google maps through Apple Carplay.

If that 's what she likes, I'm not touching it.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Still using the standard Sync 3 in my wife's '17 Escape. It works fine and, rather than getting Ford map updates, she prefers to use a wired connection and Google maps through Apple Carplay.

If that 's what she likes, I'm not touching it.
Does the phone use data with the map Apple Carplay connection and is there a fee for the Google map app?

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts
is there a fee for the Google map app?
Google maps is a standard part of the Android operating system AFAIK, there's no payment required. I'm not sure what happens if you're out of mobile coverage as far as the map data goes?

That's not an option with Sync2 (no Carplay/ Android Auto) which is why quite a few people have updated to Sync3.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Google maps is a standard part of the Android operating system AFAIK, there's no payment required. I'm not sure what happens if you're out of mobile coverage as far as the map data goes?

That's not an option with Sync2 (no Carplay/ Android Auto) which is why quite a few people have updated to Sync3.
I'm not sure what your phone plan coverage includes, but here in the U.S. and on T-Mobile, my plan offers no limit data. I don't really think her car has been in an area without cell coverage, so would the live mapping still work? Who knows, possibly not? Some people preload maps on their phone before a trip and this lets them navigate without a connection, as I understand it. Using the preload method only eliminates any live traffic information during the trip. I'll get LOUD voice alerts from my wife if things go haywire and don't work according to her expectations! And there's no cost for the Google maps app on iPhone.

I realize that Carplay is a no-go on Sync 2/MFT. Got tired of buying updated SD map cards on a regular basis, too. I changed my truck system primarily because the APIM received the kiss of death and blacked out, naturally after Ford's extended warranty for the APIM was up. If I'm gonna fix it, fix it right. The new system is Sync 3.4 with mapping and I believe the vendor from whom I purchased said map updates are included. We'll see. Otherwise, I'm very happy with my truck setup, which should be the same in a pre-17 Escape with Sync2/MFT.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I didn’t go through Alibaba or Amazon, but got mine from 4DTech. They refunded $50 for my old MyFord Touch screen and APIM. It was a rather easy upgrade that I should have done two-three years ago!

We’ll be heading out on a road trip in a few weeks and I’m curious to see how well the Google Maps works via cellular, since some areas have been “challenged” to provide a constant streaming Internet Radio connection.

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts
I'm not sure what your phone plan coverage includes, but here in the U.S. and on T-Mobile, my plan offers no limit data. I don't really think her car has been in an area without cell coverage, so would the live mapping still work?
In Australia you often don't have to travel too far from a town/ city before you get black spots with no mobile coverage.

Some people preload maps on their phone before a trip and this lets them navigate without a connection, as I understand it. Using the preload method only eliminates any live traffic information during the trip.
I bought Sygic's navigation app for my phone many years ago, it has pre loaded maps and lifetime updates. I don't use it very often but it's nice to have a backup option. On rare occasions I have had the car's mapping take me to an incorrect location and have used Sygic to find the correct street/ location. With Sync2 I 've also had the map showing me driving through paddocks where a large roundabout had been constructed.

I might do the Sync3 update sometime if the prices drop a bit. About 18mths ago it was around AUD$630 for the full kit from AliExpress, now it's over AUD$1000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts