2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade 2015 Ford Escape

11K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  Gryffindor101 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I just did the swap from sync 2 to sync 3 in my 2015 ford escape and I have notice some of my accessories are not longer responding , like the steering wheel volume control and the voice active as well not working , the 911 assistant not longer showing up on the screen . any help to figure it out will greatly appreciate.
Thank you

#6 ·
Did you back up your sync 2 APIM settings. If not then you can view your factory built APIM setting on the motorcraft service website and download the file. You can then check the cars current APIM settings with what they were and adjust accordingly. Your sync 2 settings should work with sync 3.

You will need a modded ELM327 or OBDLink EX and Forscan with extended licence to make the changes.

#9 ·
Did you back up your sync 2 APIM settings. If not then you can view your factory built APIM setting on the motorcraft service website and download the file. You can then check the cars current APIM settings with what they were and adjust accordingly. Your sync 2 settings should work with sync 3.

You will need a modded ELM327 or OBDLink EX and Forscan with extended licence to make the changes.

I did not back up the sync 2 apim, the seller told me that I didn’t need to and that it was just plug in and play but that was not the case!

#7 · (Edited)
The MFT AsBuilt isn't going to work entirely on a Sync3 unit coming from something other than a C462 chassis, the Escape/Kuga/CMax/Focus are different from the rest of the Ford family.
What trim level and options are on your 2015?
I've got the AB for my 2014 Escape Ti Sync3 upgrade that should be a little easier for you to work with.
Or if you want a custom one for your VIN from someone that really knows what they are doing drop Dan a line at Sync Programming

#8 ·
The MFT AsBuilt isn't going to work entirely on Sync3
What trim level and options are on your 2015?
I've got the AB for my 2014 Escape Ti Sync3 upgrade that should be a little easier for you to work with.
Or if you want a custom one for your VIN from someone that really knows what they are doing drop Dan a line at Sync Programming
Thank you so much! This is very useful information! I will check it out with them.

#10 ·
Well it was a plug in and it did turn on and work mostly..... LOL

There are a lot of people that confuse the fact that MFT & Sync3 are different animals and Ford makes changes over time in other parts of the car.
When I did my 2014 Fusion SE, the donor was a 2019 Fusion SE with the exact same features/options and I still lost my rear view camera as well a my dual climate controls acting strange.
In order to fix it I had to use a config from a early 2017 Fusion SE that matched my car's features and options because Ford made a change to the Gateway Module in sometime in late 2017, it was either do that or find a used module from a late 2017+.

#13 ·
Well it was a plug in and it did turn on and work mostly..... LOL

There are a lot of people that confuse the fact that MFT & Sync3 are different animals and Ford makes changes over time in other parts of the car.
When I did my 2014 Fusion SE, the donor was a 2019 Fusion SE with the exact same features/options and I still lost my rear view camera as well a my dual climate controls acting strange.
In order to fix it I had to use a config from a early 2017 Fusion SE that matched my car's features and options because Ford made a change to the Gateway Module in sometime in late 2017, it was either do that or find a used module from a late 2017+.
There appears to be different scenarios in any sort of upgrade. One of our members upgraded his car from sync 1 to sync 2, using an APIM from a 2016 Kuga and an ACM from a 2017 Kuga. He didn't have to programme anything or use an asbuilt file. It just worked, plug and play. Two of our moderators have done the upgrade to sync 2 at the same time helping each other as they went. Both had no handsfree calling and the other didn't have the car graphic on screen when reversing. Same car models, same settings but different years. They both upgraded at a later date to Sync 3. Neither had to use an asbuilt file from a later car. One of them I know used his sync 2 settings for sync 3.

I too had no bluetooth or handsfree calling and no park graphic on screen. This was after using an asbuilt file from an MFT car identical to mine. One setting change on the ACM gave me bluetooth and handsfree. Changing the architecture on the APIM which came from a Kuga gave me the parking graphic. I then changed the ACM to a later type from a Kuga and lost reversing chimes. One setting changed back to my original ACM value brought this back.

The only thing I am not 100% certain is the park graphic only shows on screen when reverse is selected and engine is running. I have this little thought in the back of my mind on sync 1 it worked with ignition on but engine off.

For the record I am glad I got rid of the awful sync 1 system but I wouldn't recommend doing it. For anyone thinking of taking out sync 1 and putting in 2 or 3, just change the car.

#15 ·
The issue is that most of us can only call on our own experiences and what worked for me may be different for someone else. My view is change what you need to change to make it work and then don't go fiddling with anything that you know your car doesn't have. I enabled heated seats on mine which it doesn't have and then I couldn't get the seat symbols off the screen even when I disabled it and the orange on lights wouldn't work for the fan a/c or heated screen. I sorted it by uploading the asbuilt file so lesson learned.

Remember that just changing one digit in the APIM block can make more than one change so you need to be careful.

The one thing to remember is that it shouldn't matter whether you got the screen from a Focus, C-Max or Escape, you can make it work with programming. The issue I had with mine and the heated seats is that the car the screen came from had it but my car didn't so there was a conflict somewhere between the APIM and BCM. Uploading an asbuilt file from a car exactly the same as mine with MFT made it work about 90%. I only had to make 2 changes, one to the ACM and one to the APIM to make it work 100%.

With yours you have 4 choices.

The first would be to download an as built for an Escape EXACTLY same model as yours with same extras as your car that had sync 3 from the factory. You would upload the APIM details of the asbuilt file to the APIM.

The second would be to download your original asbuilt file using your VIN and do the same upload to your car.

The third option is to go through the sync 3 settings based on the F-150 google sheets document and then try and figure out which settings you need to change to get working what isn't working.

The last option is advised by another member to contact DanMc85. He knows his stuff more than anyone and have read a lot of his posts on another forum. Even if you fancied having a go with options 1 and 2 there is possibly some additional programming still to be done but none of it is difficult.

If you have access to an OBD reader and Forscan then take a screen shot of your current APIM settings, post them on here and let's have a look to see what's wrong.

#16 ·
The issue is that most of us can only call on our own experiences and what worked for me may be different for someone else. My view is change what you need to change to make it work and then don't go fiddling with anything that you know your car doesn't have. I enabled heated seats on mine which it doesn't have and then I couldn't get the seat symbols off the screen even when I disabled it and the orange on lights wouldn't work for the fan a/c or heated screen. I sorted it by uploading the asbuilt file so lesson learned.

Remember that just changing one digit in the APIM block can make more than one change so you need to be careful.

The one thing to remember is that it shouldn't matter whether you got the screen from a Focus, C-Max or Escape, you can make it work with programming. The issue I had with mine and the heated seats is that the car the screen came from had it but my car didn't so there was a conflict somewhere between the APIM and BCM. Uploading an asbuilt file from a car exactly the same as mine with MFT made it work about 90%. I only had to make 2 changes, one to the ACM and one to the APIM to make it work 100%.

With yours you have 4 choices.

The first would be to download an as built for an Escape EXACTLY same model as yours with same extras as your car that had sync 3 from the factory. You would upload the APIM details of the asbuilt file to the APIM.

The second would be to download your original asbuilt file using your VIN and do the same upload to your car.

The third option is to go through the sync 3 settings based on the F-150 google sheets document and then try and figure out which settings you need to change to get working what isn't working.

The last option is advised by another member to contact DanMc85. He knows his stuff more than anyone and have read a lot of his posts on another forum. Even if you fancied having a go with options 1 and 2 there is possibly some additional programming still to be done but none of it is difficult.

If you have access to an OBD reader and Forscan then take a screen shot of your current APIM settings, post them on here and let's have a look to see what's wrong.
Thank you so much, this is very good information!!

#17 ·
One of the things that happened between MFT (Sync 1 was the original first generation in the 2008-2012 MY Fords first as a option kit to replace "Mobile Ease", Sync 2 is what's deployed with 4.2" screens) and Sync 3 in the C462 chassis (Escape/Kuga/Fiesta/Focus) was that the data bus protocol changed. When you do an upgrade you run into a new APIM that may or may not have the same protocol(s) enabled as other modules in the car as well as an OS change (MFT is a Ford fork of WindowsCE, Sync 3 is derived from QNX) and there's also the issue of what calibration level (Ford speak for firmware) is in each module.
As SM said above the F150 sheets have a wealth of info (some only applies to MFT such as the graphic equalizer profiles under the sound menu), in my case with our 2014 Escape I was able to get about 70% before I finally punted and paid Dan to build me a config. With his config I'd say I'm at 98% functionality, the rear view camera contrast is lower, the AC power button in the climate screen is reversed (off is on, but the hard buttons work correctly), but the steering wheel home button (2013-2014 MY) will take you directly from Android Auto to the home screen and that's functionality that Ford still hasn't restored even to newer models.

#18 ·
(Sync 1 was the original first generation in the 2008-2012 MY Fords first as a option kit to replace "Mobile Ease", Sync 2 is what's deployed with 4.2" screens)
Your information is a little incorrect. Sync 1 is also the 4.2” screens on the 2013-2015 Escapes. Not sure if they still call it Sync 1 for the 2016-2019 MY Escapes. Sync 2 is the MFT for the 8” screens.

#21 ·
Here's the link to the Sync 1 kit.
If you had NAV it added some voice command as well a phone Bluetooth.
Without NAV it just added Bluetooth.
Here's the Mobil Ease kit

#22 · (Edited)
Your first link relates to the system fitted to the previous generation Escape. It's from 2008. The models with navigator or travel pilot as it was known here was touch screen. I think that's your G2 perhaps. The link you provided is just a bluetooth module added to the system. The bluetooth module shown is very similar to what was in the Escape & Kuga with the 4.2" screen. It looks very much like what I removed from mine which was located above the glovebox in the uk, not sure about over there. Ford here called it the APIM for sync 1 but its just a bluetooth module. Sync 2 and 3 doesn't have the bluetooth module as it's incorporated into the screen.

In summary it would appear the sync V1-A was carried over from your previous model Escape (circa 2008-2012) to the next generation assuming that not all Escape models of G3 had the Sync 2 touch screen, superseded by the sync 3 touch screen.

#23 ·
Hi All,
I just did the swap from sync 2 to sync 3 in my 2015 ford escape and I have notice some of my accessories are not longer responding , like the steering wheel volume control and the voice active as well not working , the 911 assistant not longer showing up on the screen . any help to figure it out will greatly appreciate.
Thank you
Hey Mate,

I would suggest you read my post on Australian Fordmod forum on exactly the same subject. Australian Ford Forums

You need to ensure you are using a Sync3 and APIM from a donor vehicle of similar model/level.

Even then, you would to use FORScan to customise the donor Sync3 and APIM to your vehicle

I hope this help

#24 ·
Hey Mate,

I would suggest you read my post on Australian Fordmod forum on exactly the same subject. Australian Ford Forums

You need to ensure you are using a Sync3 and APIM from a donor vehicle of similar model/level.

Even then, you would to use FORScan to customise the donor Sync3 and APIM to your vehicle

I hope this help
I would have like to have read your post but I would have to sign up and if I do that I am going to have even less time than I have now lol.

Yep, that's what I would recommend as well but sometimes it depends on the availability of a donor screen. I upgraded my sync 1 to 2 and my Sync 2 screen came from a Titanium X so the climate screen showed heated seats which mine doesn't have as it is just the Titanium. I did try first changing the APIM settings and although I got rid of the heated seats I couldn't get the on/off button to light up for the A/C and one of the heated screens. With perseverance I would have got it but it was just easier to download an asbuilt from a sync 2 car which was the same model as mine which gave me the right climate screen and 95% correct settings. There seems to be a reluctance to use alternative APIM asbuilt files on this forum for some reason, yet that is the recommendation on the other ford forums regarding upgrading to either sync 2 or 3.

The problem is that some people may think that all sync 2 and 3 screens are the same and are just plug and play. They are not and comparing my settings with one of our other Kuga members, who's car is a little older than mine, there are numerous differences on common features of both cars, yet both of our systems work 100%.

My advice to anyone wanting to do any sort of upgrade is do the research first on ALL of the Ford forums, make notes, study the Living It Up spreadsheet which is sync 3 but a lot is relevant to sync 2. Back up your current APIM settings and write them down and try and understand what the individual numbers and letter in the blocks relate to. Ask any questions before doing the upgrade and possibly the most important, make sure you have someone on hand who has done the upgrade to help when you get stuck.

#25 · (Edited)
Ok, So I just did a Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade on my 2013 Escape SEL. The seller used my VIN# and set up the Sync 3 AS-BUILT. All is working as it should except for my "lower steering wheel controls". My volume, skip/FF/RWD, and Mode controls work fine, but my lower Phone and sync voice command buttons are not responding. On the 2013-2014 there are two sets of controls, and on the 2015-2016 there is only one with the Voice/Phone integrated into it. Not exactly sure why just my lower controls are not responding. Anyone have this issue and/or know how to solve it?? The person I bought it from is saying the my VIN is showing no SCCM Steering Wheel Control Module so there is nothing to input any coding changes. Could it be that I need a new round upper control module with the voice/phone integrated into it? Any input would be greatly appreciate!!!
Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Steering part
Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Speedometer

UPDATE!!!!!

I contacted DanMc85 at sync3programming.com and he was able to send me an updated APIM file that I was able to upload via FORScan and it solved my lower steering wheel control issue!!! Everything is working as expected now!!! I am so happy that I did not have to take apart my steering wheel and add/swap out controls. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Dan!!! Was very easy to work with and very patient with all my questions/concerns!!!

#26 ·
I've read many threads on this and have general idea of the process. I'll do it myself. I'm not a fan of Sync 2. I've sourced a used screen and APIM module from a 2017 escape to upgrade my 2016. My '16 is a Titanium with 2.5. Built in Germany, sold in Mexico. Where I'm currently living. Unknown what model the 2017 is. Or any other details. What compatibility problems may I expect? I have Forscan, but not terribly smart with it but can learn. Not opposed to buy programming from sync3programming.com

#30 ·
It isn't the update using CyanLabs, it is the custom VIN 2013-2015MY programming that gives you the climate controls.
When you have custom VIN programming as an example the 2014-15MY "Home" button on the steering wheel will take you out of Android Auto and back to the Sync3 screen rather than having to select the Ford icon on the Sync3 screen as you have to do on other model years.
As I stated above, on the 2013-2015 Escape Sync3 APIM upgrade from MFT the climate controls are there, the on screen AC power button function is reversed (shows on when its off, shows off when its on), and the MY2016 had the climate screen with Sync3 so any upgrade to 3.4 will have it also as it was part of the factory As Built.
Adding it to MY2017+ can be hit or miss depending on the FCIM firmware level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.