2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm interested in the 'kickstart' method as well please. I don't even know if I can update from my initial version (2.0) to the latest without upgrading to previous versions first, maybe I can at least do one of the previous versions using your method.

Thanks.
Please refer #20.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Titanium
10 Posts
Did you see a drop down message about indexing the device at all? That would indicate some file structure issue as it should ignore it. What is the script in your autoinstall.lst? Di you have Nav/Non-Nav? If non, check if you have a Gracenotes version. It might be something got stuck, so all you need to do is tweak the label at the top to make it think it's a new update.

This one isn't available OTA.
I don't get an indexing drop down when the thumb drive is inserted. I have navigation. The first line in the autoinstall.lst is "; SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.0.25 - Only for Nav/NA assemblies." However, the very last line says "Options = AutoInstall,Delay". What do I need to do edit to tell the unit its a new install?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try using a USB 2.0 thumb drive and check your file structure.
All of the .tar files need to be in a directory called SyncMyRide and the only files in the root should be DONTINDX.MSA and the autoinstall.lst
I'll give an older USB 2.0 drive a try, all of mine are 3.0. The file structure is correct.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SO....jpohlman is on to something as it seems USB 2.0 thumb drives are the way to go. I dusted off an old drive, formatted it, copied the files over, and VOILA, it worked, I'm now running build 20204. What's odd is that I've used these same 3.0 drives before to do an update when I bought car this past August (upgraded from 2.2 to 3.0), and again to do a maps update....strange. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

·
Registered
728 Posts
SO....jpohlman is on to something as it seems USB 2.0 thumb drives are the way to go. I dusted off an old drive, formatted it, copied the files over, and VOILA, it worked, I'm now running build 20204. What's odd is that I've used these same 3.0 drives before to do an update when I bought car this past August (upgraded from 2.2 to 3.0), and again to do a maps update....strange. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
Thanks for the input...might give this a try also. I can't remember if the USB drive I was using was 2.0 or 3.0 though, I'll need to check.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Interesting. I've always used one of several generic Sandisk USB 3.0 devices and never had any issues. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
570 Posts
The actual hardware in the 2016-2018 APIMs is a bit different from the 2019-2020 as are the USB ports.
Some USB 3 drives have a variable read rate and when they try to negotiate the data rate with the port it causes a timeout or in other cases a fail on long reads. The 2019-2020 are actually USB 3 ports, the 2016-2018 are USB 2.
I've had better luck across the board from MFT on using a Kingston or PNY USB 2 for updates.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Looks like the latest v3.0 build is available via the owner portal. It'll download as JR3T-14G381-AX and the new build version is 3.0.20204_PRODUCT. I'd wager this is USB download or Dealer install only. No OTA.
Is that US only to your knowledge as it has not shown up as an update on my Ford aussie owner's site/portal yet?
I assumed it was NA only otherwise it could be downloaded by auto Wi-Fi everywhere?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Is that US only to your knowledge as it has not shown up as an update on my Ford aussie owner's site/portal yet?
I assumed it was NA only otherwise it could be downloaded by auto Wi-Fi everywhere?
I’d guess global, but not sure tbh. I doubt this one will go Wi-Fi though.

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Thanks....I will watch out for it as often it shows up here in Oz weeks after it appears on the US owner's portals.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Did my update today and all appears successful with the product name and number that @UofMEngineer identified. Only issue is that instead of the 30 minutes identified by the Ford website, it gave a complete message after about 10 minutes. I waited the 30, and things appear to be nominal. I did the “report” back to Ford and it said it was successful. I will check back in a few days to confirm as that has been a message that seems to be a fail in the past.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Did my update today and all appears successful with the product name and number that @UofMEngineer identified. Only issue is that instead of the 30 minutes identified by the Ford website, it gave a complete message after about 10 minutes. I waited the 30, and things appear to be nominal. I did the “report” back to Ford and it said it was successful. I will check back in a few days to confirm as that has been a message that seems to be a fail in the past.
The USB only (no wifi) installs are normally only small files and install very quick.
I had a USB only file just for Australia to install some months back and it also took only around 10 minutes to install.

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
40 Posts
One thing I have not seen mentioned here is that the Ford Owners website says that for SYNC3, the USB drive has to be formatted exFAT, and that FAT32 will not work.

"Make sure your flash drive is formatted to a file system called exFAT for SYNC 3 (other SYNC versions need FAT32 format). Since almost all new flash drives are formatted to a system called FAT32, you will have to change the format yourself. It’s quite simple: "

Wayne

EDIT: I just tried updating using a exFAT formatted USB drive and nothing at all happened. Switched to a FAT32 formatted drive and success in 5 min. This was in my 2017 with SYNC3.

·
Registered
2017 Red Escape Titanium 1.5L w/Sport Appearance Pkg
56 Posts
One "limitation" of FAT32 is the maximum 4GB file size. They may just be trying to avoid a potential error that may not apply to this particular update.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium
19 Posts
Question: My current software says:

I’ve check on Ford owners site with my VIN and it say that I am “up to date”.

So how new is this current update?

Sent from my rotary phone using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Question: My current software says:

I’ve check on Ford owners site with my VIN and it say that I am “up to date”.

So how new is this current update?

I have sync 3 product 20204. What I do not know is if this is model specific. I have 2018 Titanium.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium
19 Posts
I currently have a 2020 Titanium. Maybe the update is for older model cars?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,378 Posts
I currently have a 2020 Titanium. Maybe the update is for older model cars?

This is for 3G Escapes. You have a 4G Escape. Which is why it was posted under the 3G sub forums.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts