2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I just turned in my 2017 Escape lease and purchased a new 2020 Escape Titanium. One of the first things I picked up on was that the system was noticeably slow compared to the 2017's software. Touch inputs are laggy, the keyboard was slow to register and would skip letters, the SYNC voice was glitchy and kept cutting out with the B&O sound system, and there were some odd things going on with the EQ (volume fluctuations and oscillations).

I reading on some forums that newer builds of SYNC 3.4 reduced the lag and fixed a number of bugs. Everybody else reported success in the update process, so I decided to go for it and update my software to build 20021. Unfortunately, the update didn't go so well. After starting the update, I came back approx 1/2 hour later and the screen was off. I figured maybe I caught it in the middle of a reboot so I left the car running for another 30 minutes or so. When I came back, the screen was still off. I left it running for a while longer before ultimately deciding that the install got stuck or that something went wrong. Since then, the screen won't turn on and all of the media control buttons are unresponsive.

I'm having some real buyer's remorse!

Is there a way to force the installation to restart from the USB drive, or am I doomed to a dealership visit? Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Dealer. You may have some other hardware oddity going on. 3.4 has some screens that'll lag, like the vehicle settings, but most of the main ones shouldn't be bad. What "update" did you try to do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It didn't dawn on me until after I started having issues that I probably didn't need to do the format step, given that I started on v3.4 build 19200. But, I did and alas, here I am. The update that I did was purely via USB; no Forscan mods. I'm just wondering if there is a mechanism to restore the software back to factory state so it's usable.

The USB ports still power up, so that's a plus. But I'm not sure what capability the system currently has to reinstall the software.

I figure if things are still screwy after a restore, I could take it to the dealership for the audio and lag issues. It's what I should've done first, although with the COVID-19 situation, I wouldn't be able to get it looked at for a few weeks to a month anyways. Looks like I may not have a choice now though.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts

It didn't dawn on me until after I started having issues that I probably didn't need to do the format step, given that I started on v3.4 build 19200. But, I did and alas, here I am. The update that I did was purely via USB; no Forscan mods. I'm just wondering if there is a mechanism to restore the software back to factory state so it's usable.

The USB ports still power up, so that's a plus. But I'm not sure what capability the system currently has to reinstall the software.

I figure if things are still screwy after a restore, I could take it to the dealership for the audio and lag issues. It's what I should've done first, although with the COVID-19 situation, I wouldn't be able to get it looked at for a few weeks to a month anyways. Looks like I may not have a choice now though.
Is this the site you got the software from? Looks like bootleg site.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If it's a pure black screen with any images, etc. like the reformat utility, then it may have auto shut off during reformat and you've got an expensive paperweight APIM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts