2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take a nice long drive...
My guess is that Ford is doing a staged rollout to reduce the load on their Azure deployment.
And for those who have 2016-2019 and have done the Sync 3.4 upgrade, the NA 2.21 maps are ESN locked unlike the NA 2.20, so your upgrade path is a downgrade to 3.4.19000 or below, followed by a reformat, then a fresh load of Sync 3.4 and the NA 2.21 maps followed by a master reset.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Take a nice long drive...
My guess is that Ford is doing a staged rollout to reduce the load on their Azure deployment.
And for those who have 2016-2019 and have done the Sync 3.4 upgrade, the NA 2.21 maps are ESN locked unlike the NA 2.20, so your upgrade path is a downgrade to 3.4.19000 or below, followed by a reformat, then a fresh load of Sync 3.4 and the NA 2.21 maps followed by a master reset.
If you do the Cyanlabs upgrade for 3.4 and 2.21 maps for 2016 to 2019 models is that the same as the Ford upgrade or better?
I did not even know you could do a Ford upgrade to 3.4 with the earlier models prior to 2020 and just thought it had to be done with Cyanlabs.
I have sync3 version 3, build 20204 currently with 1.19 maps which I can update by buying them from Ford.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can't do a Ford official update from Sync 3.0 to 3.2+ as the APIM file system is different and would need to be reformated.
Cyanlabs gives you an easy tool to perform the update without the cost, one just has to keep in mind that any future updates can't come from Ford official sources as the hardware/VIN/software check will fail the compatibility check. (Ford didn't build it this way so it shouldn't pass even if it is working).

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You can't do a Ford official update from Sync 3.0 to 3.2+ as the APIM file system is different and would need to be reformated.
Cyanlabs gives you an easy tool to perform the update without the cost, one just has to keep in mind that any future updates can't come from Ford official sources as the hardware/VIN/software check will fail the compatibility check. (Ford didn't build it this way so it shouldn't pass even if it is working).
Yep...that's what I thought, so in your post #4 you were referring to the Cyanlabs 3.4 update for 2016 to 2019 models?

·
Registered
73 Posts
When I go to the website to check if my 2020 Escape navigation can be updated it says I am eligible to update my maps and gives me the option to purchase a preloaded flash drive or download the update to my computer but the website still shows map version NA 2.20 as the current version. The last time I checked the VIN for my 2019 Edge the website said I was eligible for an update and purchased the preloaded flash drive. I received the map version that was already installed on the edge and calling them to send me the new version was a waste of time because the website still listed the prior version map as the current map. So lesson learned and I will wait until the website shows NA 2.21 as current version.

If I understand jpohlman correctly, the map update will eventually download through the home wifi connection so I do not need to download or purchase the preloaded flash drive right now?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To Wiz043: Correct
To DWG: Correct, eventually it will come OTA, the file download offered for my wife's 2020 was the NA 2.21 maps based on the file names and the dates (these matched the CyanLabs files). I don't know if Ford's provider had released it early and then clawed back or ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank you jpohlman, I think I will wait until it downloads through wifi. I really am not a fan of having to plug in the flash drive and driving around while it uploads to the vehicle. Normally we just do short trips so the last time I updated the maps I waited until I was taking a long enough trip to do the upload.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To Wiz043: Correct
To DWG: Correct, eventually it will come OTA, the file download offered for my wife's 2020 was the NA 2.21 maps based on the file names and the dates (these matched the CyanLabs files). I don't know if Ford's provider had released it early and then clawed back or ?
It keeps showing me NA 2.20 on the download web site. Any idea when (in the year) Ford likes to push the new maps out via download?

The WiFi process is too much of a hassle for me because of the file sizes.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It keeps showing me NA 2.20 on the download web site. Any idea when (in the year) Ford likes to push the new maps out via download?

The WiFi process is too much of a hassle for me because of the file sizes.
You tried the link in message #1 for USB download?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last year the OTA was released over a staggered period by model between late May and September 1 as was the download.
The paid download for those with Sync 3.0 wasn't released until 9/1

·
Registered
156 Posts
You tried the link in message #1 for USB download?
It says right on the page it is still NA 2 20. Am I mis-reading what the communication is?:

*With This Update You Will Find:
  • New Roads
  • Speed Limit Updates
  • New Points-of-Interest
  • Updated Turn Restrictions and Traffic Changes
There may be thousands of navigation data points changing every day, but we’ll help you get there with care.
*Data points above represent the changes in the HERE Map Database from Q2 20. Exact data may vary by product. The current Map version is NA 2 20.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It says right on the page it is still NA 2 20. Am I mis-reading what the communication is?:

*With This Update You Will Find:
  • New Roads
  • Speed Limit Updates
  • New Points-of-Interest
  • Updated Turn Restrictions and Traffic Changes
There may be thousands of navigation data points changing every day, but we’ll help you get there with care.
*Data points above represent the changes in the HERE Map Database from Q2 20. Exact data may vary by product. The current Map version is NA 2 20.
Yeah, that is misleading and I can understand where you are coming from.
Who knows whether it means the current one at the moment is NA 2.20 or the new one currently available is NA 2.20 as it doesn't mention NA 2.21?
I could not see a date on the site and perhaps the only way you could confirm it is to do a USB update and see if it alters the map details on the sync screen to version NA 2.21.

Probably no point in contacting Ford customer service as they probably think sync is something you use in the kitchen to wash dishes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the NA 2.20 files so I can compare what gets downloaded.
When I put in my VIN it says I get one free update. I don't want to burn it on 2.20 maps I already have. Or is the one update rule false?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have the NA 2.20 files so I can compare what gets downloaded.
When I put in my VIN it says I get one free update. I don't want to burn it on 2.20 maps I already have. Or is the one update rule false?
Hopefully someone here who hasn't even got the 2.20 maps can do an update and see what they end up with and advise the forum as they have nothing to lose. 😉

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just a heads up on the website. The last time when the maps were going from NA19 to NA 20 I checked on the website and got the message that I was due for an update and let me purchase the USB flash drive for the map update. When I went back to the website to check the map version it was NA 19 and that is what they sent me. Since then I already had the NA 19 installed I called them and got a run around and could not get a refund and now I just ignore the message that I need.

Lesson learned. From now on I will only order the map usb flash drive if the updated map version is shown on the website.

I have tried the download path in the past and have not had much luck getting it to work. Probably just me not doing something right but what has been others experience with downloading the map update to a USB flash drive?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Since then I already had the NA 19 installed I called them and got a run around and could not get a refund

Lesson learned. From now on I will only order the map usb flash drive if the updated map version is shown on the website.
That is my fear.

I've updated via downloading the files then copying to USB drive but I bought a brand new one that is 32GB to use just for upgrading Sync.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It certainly appears to only refer to the 2.20 maps at the moment and currently I cannot even get the link in the first post here to load.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts