2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some repairs to the rear and front door. Now sync 3 won’t even turn on.
what happened? is the keyless entry on the door connected to the APIM?

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Did some repairs to the rear and front door. Now sync 3 won’t even turn on.
what happened? is the keyless entry on the door connected to the APIM?
Model, year,mileage? Who did work? The dealer or other?

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
2017 escape titanium. 80k miles. Body shop did the work. Dealer found the issue.
Best guess at this point, assuming working before body shop did work, is that body shop did or pulled plug somewhere. Is fuse good?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best guess at this point, assuming working before body shop did work, is that body shop did or pulled plug somewhere. Is fuse good?
Yes it was working before I took it in to the shop. They replaced the rear door. Unplug old wire harness and plug in new. They also removed the front door handle and reinstalled it. The front door handle has a sensor for keyless entry. I’m wondering if the keyless entry system has anything to do with the APIM. I know you can program the password for the keyless entry on the touchscreen.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Yes it was working before I took it in to the shop. They replaced the rear door. Unplug old wire harness and plug in new. They also removed the front door handle and reinstalled it. The front door handle has a sensor for keyless entry. I’m wondering if the keyless entry system has anything to do with the APIM. I know you can program the password for the keyless entry on the touchscreen.
Why don’t you take it back to the body shop then?

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Any on vehicle welding involved?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
2017 escape titanium. 80k miles. Body shop did the work. Dealer found the issue.
What prompted complete replacement of the door, was it damaged in an accident?

Was 'SYNC3 not working' when you inspected/picked-up the car at the body shop? Or was there a delay of any time whatsoever after the bodywork and the 'SYNC3 not working'?

What does "Dealer found the issue" mean? Did you take it to the dealer after you knew 'SYNC3 was not working', did they give you any diagnostic info about 'SYNC3 not working'?

Do you see anything at all on the Touchscreen (or is it blank/black), does anything on the Touchscreen work at all, do you have music / phone functions (IOW, exactly what does "SYNC3 not working' mean in terms of specific functions lost)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What prompted complete replacement of the door, was it damaged in an accident?

Was 'SYNC3 not working' when you inspected/picked-up the car at the body shop? Or was there a delay of any time whatsoever after the bodywork and the 'SYNC3 not working'?

What does "Dealer found the issue" mean? Did you take it to the dealer after you knew 'SYNC3 was not working', did they give you any diagnostic info about 'SYNC3 not working'?

Do you see anything at all on the Touchscreen (or is it blank/black), does anything on the Touchscreen work at all, do you have music / phone functions (IOW, exactly what does "SYNC3 not working' mean in terms of specific functions lost)?
door was replaced due to accident. Radio was working fine. I noticed the radio was not working at the time I picked it up. No delay. I told the mechanic and he said something might have to With a factory reset.

body shop asked me to take it to the dealer on their behalf. Body shop paid for the diagnostic

sync does not power on at all. Completely unresponsive. No screen, no light. Buttons do not work.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Thanks for that better chronology of events.

To one of your earlier questions .... AFAIK the keyless entry system (and other 'in-door systems') are related to the BCM (Body Control Module) and other modules unrelated to the SYNC systems.

I'm assuming that someone has verified that there are no 'blown fuses' in any/all of the fuse boxes on the vehicle (however unlikely, that's a simple but tedious step that should be undertaken: verifying the condition of every fuse).

body shop asked me to take it to the dealer on their behalf. Body shop paid for the diagnostic
With a paid dealer diagnostic you should have received a written 'report' of the findings (maybe on the final paid invoice paperwork); a list of DTC's found, specific modules determined to require replacement, etc. Can you post a legible picture of that paperwork?

Nothing in what you describe 'jumps out' to me as a probable 'cause > effect' link between the door replacement and the SYNC issues, but that's only a guess from afar not knowing exactly what the body shop might have done while they had the car.

While I understand that there's a natural tendency to link that work to the failure, sometimes the only relationship is an extraordinary fluke of coincident timing. Not saying that's the case here, but it's one possibility that should be considered.

IMO we're lacking enough info to help make a case from afar that there's a 'cause > effect' relationship; perhaps discussion with the diagnosing dealer will give better basis for making that case, if there is one.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
BTW, is it safe to assume that you are outside of the OE 3/36 (Canadian KM equivalent) bumper-to-bumper warranty?

OR, is the dealer denying warranty coverage of the SYNC issue for some other reason?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts