2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Ford Escape Titanium hybrid. With moonroof/HUD package. Connected to iPhone 11 Pro Max. I’ve had the car for 24 days now.

for reasons unknown to me, the car will on occasion be unable to fully connect to the phone. This has happened 4 times so far. The first time was only a day after getting the car, then two more times within the first 2 weeks. each time I was able to get the phone and car to pair back up by telling the car to forget the phone, and telling the phone to forget the car, and turning both off and back on again.
The most recent time this happened was today, but the above procedure didn’t work. I’ll be trying again in the morning.

each time the following behavior happens:

the car can see the phone, it pops up with “connected to (device name here)”. The various apps that are sync3 compatible load in the sync 3 interface, and audio from the phone’s podcast/iTunes apps plays through the car, this is all happening via USB since Bluetooth is disabled.

after the 3rd instance, I removed the car from the phone’s Bluetooth sync, thinking that maybe the Bluetooth connection was taking priority, and went 10 days without an issue.

also, the phone is charging during this time also.

so, the phone is confirmed to be connecting to the car via the USB port. Since it is charging and both audio and app data is transferring but I cannot access the carplay interface. I’m stuck in the sync 3 interface. Which also prevents me from taking/making calls or using any other audio/nav app except the small amount that utilize the sync 3 app Interface.

The first two times happened when I plugged the phone in as the sync 3 was still booting up, but the last two I made sure to wait until sync 3 was fully booted up.
I searched this forum and some other ford forums and a new cable was suggested, but in those cases the phone wasn’t charging or being recognized by the car, in this case both of those are happening, I just can’t enter the CarPlay interface, the button just isn’t there on the screen.
any info?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
1. For grins, try a new Apple cable for a few days.
2. Hard restart the phone in case something is getting in a funky state. Latest iOS has been...special.
3. Make sure you're running the latest iOS while you're at it.
4. Check if you have 3.4.19274. If not, swing by a dealer when you have time the update should be free. May / may not help depending on whatever that issue actually is.
5. If you get stuck where it isn't working. Turn off CarPlay temporarily to recover the build in features. There's the setting shortcut on the home screen when it's active.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. For grins, try a new Apple cable for a few days.
2. Hard restart the phone in case something is getting in a funky state. Latest iOS has been...special.
3. Make sure you're running the latest iOS while you're at it.
4. Check if you have 3.4.19274. If not, swing by a dealer when you have time the update should be free. May / may not help depending on whatever that issue actually is.
5. If you get stuck where it isn't working. Turn off CarPlay temporarily to recover the build in features. There's the setting shortcut on the home screen when it's active.
Just to follow-up on this.

the next day, after forgetting the phone on the car, and the car on the phone, and turning everything off and on again, it all connected again.

so it seems like the car needs to be off for a decent amount of time in order for it to fully reboot everything.

But it's happened 3 more times since i made this post.

regarding your suggestions.

1) used a brand new cable, fresh out of the box, it still wants to "loop" because it was wrapped up. happened this afternoon with this cable.

2) have to hard restart the phone each time this happens, as well as the car. if only one of the two items is hard-restarted, nothing happens. (i've seen reports of this on other ford forums going back to before the release of iOS 13, which leads me to think it's a Ford issue...)

3) Triple checked.

4) this might be the case, i couldn't find the .19274, looks like it's 3.4.00000??

5) Turn carplay on/off each time this happens to reset it... it appears the problem that happened when i posted this was i wasn't letting the car be powered off long enough to full reboot (?). if i leave it sit for a while, it works. but that's, of course, not always a practical option, if it fails when i'm leaving the house for someplace i need to be in a specific time.

Today: about 5 minutes into a 35 minute drive, the entire infotainment system crashed and rebooted(first time it's completely crashed). prior to the crash, the Carplay was playing nicely with the Sync3, I was using Waze maps, and listening to XM radio (via the free subscription in car's built-in radio not iPhone App). Then the whole infotainment screen went black, after a few seconds, it turned back on and re-loaded, but the Carplay screen never loaded again. My destination on this drive was near the dealership, so I stopped by there, and told them the issue. Being a Saturday, of course nobody was there to take a look at it (sales manager tried to tell me "well you're supposed to use the bluetooth for that type of stuff anyway", except that the whole point of the Carplay over USB feature is to provide superior quality and interactivity compared to bluetooth). We arranged to drop it off later next week when we have some availability to look at this (and one other issue where it keeps saying i'm low on wiper fluid).

When we got back to the car, since it had been shut down for 30+ minutes, I was able to plug back in and everything worked for the drive home, as if nothing had happened.

Hopefully the service department is able to apply any updates that are needed and it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hopefully the service department is able to apply any updates that are needed and it fixes the issue.
Yep, they can update you to the latest release, 3.4.19274. I'm not sure if that will address all of your issues, but that one did have several targeted bug fixes for things like a reboot like you saw, etc. Have them apply it when possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I have trouble with CarPlay (a couple of times per month), I do a system reset as described in the excerpt below from the manual. I unplug the lightning cable and follow the instructions below. After it restarts, CarPlay works again.

“The system has a System Reset feature that can be performed if the function of a SYNC
3 feature is lost. This reset is intended to restore functionality and will not erase any
information previously stored in the system (such as paired devices, phonebook, call
history, text messages, or user settings). To perform a System Reset, press and hold
the Seek Up (>>|) button while pressing and holding the Radio Power button. After
approximately 5 seconds the screen will go black. Allow 1-2 minutes for the system
reset to complete. You may then resume using the SYNC 3 system.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Additional follow up: taking the car in for the update Friday. (It’s Wednesday now).
Had the issue pop up again yesterday. Tried the following:

unplugged iPhone from car. Reset car as described by eyet60 above.

still failed.

unplugged phone. Told phone to forget car and rebooted phone. Reset car using above reset technique.
Still failed.

unplugged phone. Forgot the car on the phone, rebooted phone. Forgot the phone on the car. Reset the car as above.

still failed.

unplugged phone. Told phone to forget car, rebooted phone. Told car to forget phone. Turned off car and went into the gym. Came back after 90+ minutes. Everything worked again.

so something is “sticking” in that reset.

again, hoping the update from Ford fixes the issue, but in case anyone else has this issue it will be well documented.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Further follow-up.
The dealer didn’t install the system update. I wasn’t able to be there in person so all they did was claim they reset it. (They took care of the other issue I was having with the wiper fluid light).
It’s been a week and no issues so far, but I have been home sick much of the week so not many chances to test it out.
On the plus side, the hard-reset button combo actually worked the last time the system failed to connect, which as a day before the service appointment.

What I did the time it actually worked was just keeping my phone physically connected the entire time during the reset. When the system was done rebooting, it surprised me by connecting instantly.

if I continue to encounter the issue, I will post more updates and look into updating the software myself. (Apparently the “update via WiFi” doesn’t actually work, according to a couple ford owning coworkers of mine)

·
Registered
705 Posts
The wifi updates for sync software work fine, for me anyway. I just 'kick start' it which I have described elsewhere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wifi updates for sync software work fine, for me anyway. I just 'kick start' it which I have described elsewhere.
Whenever i try to update over WiFi, it tells me my car is up to date, but i do not have .19274 (the latest build) installed...

and i can't find that build anywhere. only references to it on forums. i'm more than willing to throw it on a USB stick, that's not a big deal to me, wifi or usb, just meed the actual... file... getting real frustrated at ford over this and other things pertaining to their websites being ... redacted...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Whenever i try to update over WiFi, it tells me my car is up to date, but i do not have .19274 (the latest build) installed...

and i can't find that build anywhere. only references to it on forums. i'm more than willing to throw it on a USB stick, that's not a big deal to me, wifi or usb, just meed the actual... file... getting real frustrated at ford over this and other things pertaining to their websites being ... redacted...
That's because there is no OTA update available. 19274 is dealer install only. The OTA update will be based off the next major release build.

·
Registered
705 Posts

As advised, 19274 dealer install only at this stage. The latest update by wifi or USB is build 19205.
If you have that you are fine...;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As advised, 19274 dealer install only at this stage. The latest update by wifi or USB is build 19205.
If you have that you are fine...;)
I don't have 205 either... it says build 19200_product on my "about sync"

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
3.0.19205 --> Latest Pre-MY20 (Dealer, USB, OTA)
3.4.19274 --> Latest MY20+ (Dealer Install)

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts