Registered
10 Posts
My Wi-Fi would not update the latest software til I did this:-
Firstly turn on ignition.
1. On sync screen touch settings.
2. Touch general.
3. Touch WiFi updates.
4. Touch 'scan for updates now'.
5. When it stops scanning a progress bar should appear with a message 'installing JRT....etc.'
Then turn off ignition and leave car for 30 minutes or so coz WiFi will remain connected for around 30 mins with engine off if in WiFi range.
6. After around 30 mins. check progress of installation after turning ignition on again. In my case it was half complete so I turned the ignition off and left it for another 40 minutes and it was done.
In your case you should end up with sync3 version3, build 19205.
If you are registered at your Ford owner website your profile should now 'magically' show that you have the latest update or similar.
If you have already tried this I apologise.
Please advise accordingly...Thanks.. 😉
I do not have a "scan update now" option. This is in a F150 but sync 3 should be sync 3

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #802
View attachment 75679 this came up after all 3 attempts after the "installation process complete" and the screen when black and reset. It would power back up and then this would appear.
This make sense if you interrupted it halfway through. The first bit will delete the Gracenote data and update the Voice data. The second half of the install loads the main software and the latest Gracenote. Did it run, restart (this is where it sounds like you pulled the drive early, ignore the done message), run, and then pop the install complete and stay on before you removed the drive?

You can also open the autoinstall.lst file in Notepad, then delete everything above [SYNCGen3.0_ALL] . That'll force only the second half to run, which should be all that remains for your update.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This make sense if you interrupted it halfway through. The first bit will delete the Gracenote data and update the Voice data. The second half of the install loads the main software and the latest Gracenote. Did it run, restart (this is where it sounds like you pulled the drive early, ignore the done message), run, and then pop the install complete and stay on before you removed the drive?
Vehicle running, plugged in USB, at the top of the screen it said "updating system software".
After 5 minutes or so it said "remove usb drive, changes will take place on next restart."
Yesterday this is when I pulled the usb and restarted the truck.
Today (3 separate attempts with fresh downloaded files each time) I left the usb stick in and ignored the message. Screen went black each time and came back on after a minute or so. Then about 2 minutes later i get the "bad installation file" notification.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah, should be the same. I may have misled you a bit. At step 3 after 'general' I should have said touch 'automatic system updates' and that should take you to the 'scan for updates now' option among others. Touch that and carry on with the rest of the procedure I outlined.

Between the two of us we will get you there...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #805
Vehicle running, plugged in USB, at the top of the screen it said "updating system software".
After 5 minutes or so it said "remove usb drive, changes will take place on next restart."
Yesterday this is when I pulled the usb and restarted the truck.
Today (3 separate attempts with fresh downloaded files each time) I left the usb stick in and ignored the message. Screen went black each time and came back on after a minute or so. Then about 2 minutes later i get the "bad installation file" notification.
What error code? MEM_ERR03 is an example. Should show up along with the pop-up for bad install file message.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #809
So I stumbled across this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/Ford/comments/6705xy/_/dhayiy8
And I followed his instructions to the T and got my sync updated flawlessly to 3.0. Not sure why someone would have to do something like that to update sync, but I'm glad it worked.
Yep this is the second suggestion I had. Hopefully you didn't do the whole thing and just skipped to the last part where the second part of the install runs. Seems the really old software has some problem at times completing the update if it's interrupted halfway through. No idea why, but running the second part itself works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sigh. You can try a Master Reset (has worked for 2 people), then this script again in case something didn't clear out. After that, just run them one at a time, e.g.

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = JR3T-14G381-AM
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AM.tar.gz
Options = Autoinstall
I've a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi (Titanium) and have been fighting with the Sync3 3.0 update (from 2.2) on-again/off-again for over a year now. As many others have said, Ford phone support has walked me through the update multiple times, before giving up and sending me to the dealership to have them do the update. The dealership didn't do the update, even though they said they did. That was frustrating...

Here's what my autoinstall.lst file looks like:

Code:
; SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.0.14 - Only for NonNav/NonEU assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.18093_PRODUCT]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-THA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-THA.tar.gz
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TBB
Open2 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TBB.tar.gz
Item3 = HB5T-14G386-AHJ
Open3 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-AHJ.tar.gz
Item4 = GB5T-14G386-SC
Open4 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-SC.tar.gz
Item5 = JR3T-14G391-BD
Open5 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-BD.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HB5T-14G387-AAB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G387-AAB.tar.gz
Item2 = JR3T-14G381-AM
Open2 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AM.tar.gz
Item3 = JR3T-14G423-BA
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-BA.tar.gz
Item4 = GB5T-14G386-AB
Open4 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz
Options = Delay,Include,Transaction
I've tried lots of steps, but the one that gets me the closest is UofMEngineer's suggestion to run the items one at a time. I would comment out all the other lines in the file, then relabel Open# and Item# to Open1 and Item1, then restart the car and insert the stick. The first 4 items worked just fine, then on Item5 (JR3T-14G391-BD), I got the dreaded Mem_Err03.

What even causes this error?

Oh, btw, how do I get into IVSU on a Fusion -- the aforementioned Eject+SeekFwd doesn't work on this model. I know, this is an Escape forum, but this is also the best resource I've found on the web for this topic, so I'm hoping someone might have a clue that could help me.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi (Titanium) and have been fighting with the Sync3 3.0 update (from 2.2) on-again/off-again for over a year now. As many others have said, Ford phone support has walked me through the update multiple times, before giving up and sending me to the dealership to have them do the update. The dealership didn't do the update, even though they said they did. That was frustrating...

Code:
; SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.0.14 - Only for NonNav/NonEU assemblies.

Item1 = HB5T-14G386-THA
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TBB
Item3 = HB5T-14G386-AHJ
Item4 = GB5T-14G386-SC
Item5 = JR3T-14G391-BD
Options = AutoInstall
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HB5T-14G387-AAB
Item2 = JR3T-14G381-AM
Item3 = JR3T-14G423-BA
Item4 = GB5T-14G386-AB
I've tried lots of steps, but the one that gets me the closest is UofMEngineer's suggestion to run the items one at a time. I would comment out all the other lines in the file, then relabel Open# and Item# to Open1 and Item1, then restart the car and insert the stick. The first 4 items worked just fine, then on Item5 (JR3T-14G391-BD), I got the dreaded Mem_Err03.

Oh, btw, how do I get into IVSU on a Fusion -- the aforementioned Eject+SeekFwd doesn't work on this model. I know, this is an Escape forum, but this is also the best resource I've found on the web for this topic, so I'm hoping someone might have a clue that could help me.
The first line on your install file indicated this is not the latest update for sync3 anyway which is 19205, not 18093. Why not try downloading the latest update and try again.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #812

Code:

Item1 = HB5T-14G386-THA
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TBB
Item3 = HB5T-14G386-AHJ
Item4 = GB5T-14G386-SC
Item5 = JR3T-14G391-BD
Options = AutoInstall
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HB5T-14G387-AAB
Item2 = JR3T-14G381-AM
Item3 = JR3T-14G423-BA
Item4 = GB5T-14G386-AB

The error is caused when there isn't enough storage space to extract the package. Check that the Gracenote version is empty in the Settings -> General -> About menu. It should be after the -SC package is run. If is is and you're still hitting the error, try a Master Reset to flush out any extra files. Usually that'll clear it up. And like wiz said, you can pull the latest version.

For diag, it should be the same. Hold seek forward and CD eject for ~10 seconds. If you didn't have a CD player it'd be seek forward on both the wheel and the EFP (button panel).

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first line on your install file indicated this is not the latest update for sync3 anyway which is 19205, not 18093. Why not try downloading the latest update and try again.
When I go to MyFord page, it says I've got the latest update already. I presume this is due to the partial update from earlier (files #1-4). Any ideas on a direct link to a file, or how to convince Ford that I don't have the correct set of files?

·
Registered
685 Posts
When I go to MyFord page, it says I've got the latest update already. I presume this is due to the partial update from earlier (files #1-4). Any ideas on a direct link to a file, or how to convince Ford that I don't have the correct set of files?
Yes, that is probably the reason. Perhaps you could follow the suggestions of
@UofMEngineer and download the 18093 file and if you are successful advise Ford on your Ford Owners site that you have completed the update. They may then advise on that site that there is a new update available which will be the 19205 file and you could then go through the procedure again to download that.
Only other option is to use automatic wifi downloads if you have that.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Good luck in getting the MO site to identify the correct update. I have been unsuccessful in 18 months of trying. I do have 18093 installed and functional. My last conversation from Ford was “go to dealer”. Your best best is to work with @UofMEngineer . Let us know if you are successful.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Good luck in getting the MO site to identify the correct update. I have been unsuccessful in 18 months of trying. I do have 19025 installed and functional. My last conversation from Ford was “go to dealer”. Your best best is to work with @UofMEngineer . Let us know if you are successful.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #817
You can try to run the OTA update over WiFi. That should push the latest build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1) What error do you see? = MEM_ERR03
2) When? = During install of latest Map Updates from Ford. Although I believe this is the OS side of the install failing and not the maps since the SYNC 3 shows the maps updated to version 1_1_18 from 1_1_16.
3) Have you tried anything on your own to fix it? Yes tried installing OS v3.4 as well and it completed but the MEM_ERR03 still pops up. Tried a factory reset on the SYNC 3 as well and it immediately prompts to reinsert the USB to continue the install. Once inserted the MEM_ERR03 error soon shows up. The Unit works but it prompts a window that states the Gracenotes and Nav Voice Imput will not work till the install is completed.
4) Vehicle model year = 2018 Explorer Platinum with Nav
5) Region, in case your from across the pond/s. = U.S.

Autoinstall file =

[SYNCGen3.0_2.0.16074_PRODUCT]

Item1 = HB5T-14G386-TAB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TAB.tar.gz

Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TKB
Open2 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TKB.tar.gz

Item3 = JR3T-14G424-CD
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G424-CD.tar.gz

Item4 = GB5T-14G386-ZA
Open4 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-ZA.tar.gz

Options = AutoInstall

[SYNCGen3.0_2.0.16074]

Item1 = JR3T-14G421-CD
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G421-CD.tar.gz

Options = AutoInstall, Include, Transaction

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]

Item1 = JR3T-14G421-CD
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G421-CD.tar.gz

Item2 = JR3T-14G422-CE
Open2 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G422-CE.tar.gz

Item3 = JR3T-14G423-CB
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-CB.tar.gz

Options = Delay, AutoInstall, Include, Transaction

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #819
1) What error do you see? = MEM_ERR03
2) When? = During install of latest Map Updates from Ford. Although I believe this is the OS side of the install failing and not the maps since the SYNC 3 shows the maps updated to version 1_1_18 from 1_1_16.
The About screen shows 18Q1? Do you get turn guidance prompts, etc? If so, it would seem you have installed the map update already. Check the package names in the IVSU Versions screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The About screen shows 18Q1? Do you get turn guidance prompts, etc? If so, it would seem you have installed the map update already. Check the package names in the IVSU Versions screen.
I will check the IVSU screens in a few hours when the wife returns home from work. Words can not explain how thankful I am for your help on this!

801 - 820 of 868 Posts