2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

821 - 840 of 868 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #821
I will check the IVSU screens in a few hours when the wife returns home from work. Words can not explain how thankful I am for your help on this!
If you're in luck, everything may already be updated anyway. If your software was old, it should've (if my memory holds...) updated it first, then updated all the map data. We'll see what's on there in IVSU though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're in luck, everything may already be updated anyway. If your software was old, it should've (if my memory holds...) updated it first, then updated all the map data. We'll see what's on there in IVSU though.
OK here's what the IVSU shows as well as the "About SYNC" page. It's still prompting for the USB to continue the install and once the USB is installed it will show MEM_ERR03 in about a min or so.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
OK here's what the IVSU shows as well as the "About SYNC" page. It's still prompting for the USB to continue the install and once the USB is installed it will show MEM_ERR03 in about a min or so.
Hmm. You may need to run it in to the dealer. It's deleted the nav data and gracenotes, but it looks like the actual packages for the map, voice and gracenotes aren't there. I suppose on thing you could try is this:

[SYNCGen3.0_2.0.16074]
Item1 = JR3T-14G421-CD
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G421-CD.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall, Include, Transaction

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = JR3T-14G421-CD
Item2 = JR3T-14G422-CE
Open2 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G422-CE.tar.gz
Item3 = JR3T-14G423-CB
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-CB.tar.gz
Options = Delay, AutoInstall, Include, Transaction

This will skip the first set of items since they've already run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmm. You may need to run it in to the dealer. It's deleted the nav data and gracenotes, but it looks like the actual packages for the map, voice and gracenotes aren't there. I suppose on thing you could try is this:

[SYNCGen3.0_2.0.16074]
Item1 = JR3T-14G421-CD

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = JR3T-14G421-CD
Item2 = JR3T-14G422-CE
Item3 = JR3T-14G423-CB

This will skip the first set of items since they've already run.
Already made a appointment with the dealership. They said there would be a minimum charge of $140 to just look at it. So basically the map updates are not as free as I was informed. Quite frustrating to say the least. Please inform the code writing department they need to remove the window that pops up "Please remove the USB drive and the system will complete the update upon the next restart of the vehicle" This is exactly where the install went wrong.

The window prompts to reinstall the USB to continue the install and then it says to redownload the files and try again. The issue now is the NAV site will not allow me to redownload the files it wants me to pay $40 to obtain a USB drive made by them.

Thank You so much for you time in helping me to try to figure this issue out.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
Already made a appointment with the dealership. They said there would be a minimum charge of $140 to just look at it. So basically the map updates are not as free as I was informed. Quite frustrating to say the least. Please inform the code writing department they need to remove the window that pops up "Please remove the USB drive and the system will complete the update upon the next restart of the vehicle" This is exactly where the install went wrong.

The window prompts to reinstall the USB to continue the install and then it says to redownload the files and try again. The issue now is the NAV site will not allow me to redownload the files it wants me to pay $40 to obtain a USB drive made by them.

Thank You so much for you time in helping me to try to figure this issue out.
That pop up trips people up in the regular s/w updates as well. It's set to automatically restart. You plug it in, accept the pop-up and just let it ride for an hour and change. You can try that updated script for grins. An extra download won't change anything most likely is my guess. I'm surprised the master reset didn't clear it all out though and allow it to restart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Escape and am trying to update the Sync. Still have version 1.0. It didn’t update over WiFi so I downloaded version 3.0 on the Ford website to a usb and when I put the usb into the car, nothing happens. Also, it will no longer allow me to check for new updates.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Escape and am trying to update the Sync. Still have version 1.0. It didn’t update over WiFi so I downloaded version 3.0 on the Ford website to a usb and when I put the usb into the car, nothing happens. Also, it will no longer allow me to check for new updates.
Tell us what version of sync that your have. Also, consider placing Sync information in your signature line with the other critical information that helps us help you.
How long did you leave the usb in the drive. What are the extracted files and folders on the USB drive?? Did you download from the ford my owner page?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tell us what version of sync that your have. Also, consider placing Sync information in your signature line with the other critical information that helps us help you.
How long did you leave the usb in the drive. What are the extracted files and folders on the USB drive?? Did you download from the ford my owner page?
I did download from the Ford my owner page and left the drive in for at least 30 mins twice while driving to work. I'll post a pic of files I extracted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #829
I did download from the Ford my owner page and left the drive in for at least 30 mins twice while driving to work. I'll post a pic of files I extracted.
Did you use stuffit expander? Also, it looks like you have those nested inside a folder. Put them all at the root (main) level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wanted to report my experiences, in hopes that it helps others through the Map update process. I specifically want to express my appreciation to ACool, who provided me with his fix code, that got me out of the rat's nest I found myself in.

I must say that Ford really needs to improve on their bad path testing, and messaging to the user. 90% of my issues were because of misleading and downright incorrect messages, and the inability of the application to recover from any sort of error without hamming up the entire operation.

Vehicle: 2016 C-Max with Nav. Yes, I know this is an Escape forum, but I found this thread and found nothing concrete in the C-Max forums. I will say I'm not familiar with Fords, this being our first one ever. But I've been around cars and computers for 50 years, so I'm not a complete idiot.

My first installation attempt resulted in a mess, even though I followed the directions in this thread to leave the USB key the first time it tells you to remove it (first incorrect message). However, I was left with the Navigation function entirely failed. The second attempt got the Nav working, but no voice. Finally, I got Gracenotes installed, and then the Nav voice package. From the diagnostic screens, it looked like everything was correct. However! Even though the Nav voice would recognise a command like "Find a POI", it would not recognize and locations of street names, cities, etc. that either my wife or I would speak. It appears the Nav voice module got corrupted somehow during installation.

Here is where ACool's "do over" package saved the day. I ran it, and then reran the entire upgrade process. This time, I left the USB key in at all times, despite multiple times being told I could remove it. After four key off/on cycles, and several automatic reboots, I finally got a message ERR01. At this point, I removed the USB key, did one more key off/on cycle, and everything is functional. It seems the trick is to ignore any removal messages displayed, and wait until the ERR01 message is displayed before removing the USB key. OF course, you DO have to obey the key off/on sequence messages.

It is extremely disappointing and discouraging to have had to spend 7+ hours, plus download time messing with a map update that takes about 2 hours indoors with my Garmin devices. I would have liked to have thought that Ford, with their resources, would have done a far better job of building this process to be cleaner. I seriously doubt I would bother going through this process again, particularly having to pay money for the upgrade, for a vehicle still in warranty.

Thanks again to ACool, and also as witnessed in this thread, UofMEngineer, who obviously takes his job more seriously than the rest of Ford's management.

David Bricker / SYR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad I found this thread.

Got an offer to update maps tonight from Ford app, downloaded the update and tried to install. It rebooted once, and I didn't pull the usb even though it told me too. It came back up and downloaded for a while longer. Eventually it said it was done, but I'm not sure it updated everything.

Can someone look at the autoinstall.lst and then look at my IVSU screens and tell me, am I updated?

Code:
[SYNCGen3.0_2.0.16074_PRODUCT]

Item1 = HB5T-14G386-TAB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TAB.tar.gz

Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TKB
Open2 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TKB.tar.gz

Item3 = JR3T-14G424-CD
Open3 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G424-CD.tar.gz

Item4 = GB5T-14G386-ZA
Open4 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-ZA.tar.gz

Options = AutoInstall

[SYNCGen3.0_2.0.16074]

Item1 = JR3T-14G421-CD

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]

Item1 = JR3T-14G421-CD

Item2 = JR3T-14G422-CE

Item3 = JR3T-14G423-CB

Here's what my screens show.

What worries me is the names of those files don't match what was in the autoinstall.lst

By the way, here are the latest updates by the cache server that I downloaded them from:

Sync32.zip
SyncPre32.zip (this is the archive I installed, not sure what the other one was but its also on the same public server)

EDIT: PM me for those links to the update files, since I can't post links my first post here.

EDIT 2: If what I'm seeing is correct (I'm on product 19205) the first two parts of the autoinstall don't apply to my vehicle:
First Section was for "[SYNCGen3.0_2.0.16074_PRODUCT]" not me, and Second section is for "[SYNCGen3.0_2.0.16074]" also not me.
But that third section says its for "[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]" and that is me.

I checked the archives and
  • the one that says "JR3T-14G421-CD.tar.gz" is huge and has the map update in it, and my before and after shows that maps when from ]na 1 16] to [na 1 18] - so check
  • the one that says "JR3T-14G422-CE.tar.gz" is a voice update, and you can see from the IVSU that it shows the build that has PRE in the name - so maybe check.
  • but the third one "JR3T-14G423-CB.tar.gz" in the IVSU shows 3.0.17024 and it looks like on my info screen/about screen it didn't increase the gracenote version above 1.1.1.1139 so that didn't update.
So I wonder, do I care about gracenote? How do I update my Applications?

·
Registered
685 Posts
19205 is the latest software update. Go to your sync 'about' screen and see if it shows 19205 as the build no.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes it does, however when unpacked the update SyncPre32.zip and then untarred the gzips in the SyncMyRide folder I can clearly see that Gracenote was supposed to be updated. I can also see that the version numbers for gracenote are the same before and after.

Also, after investigation it seems that the 19205 product may get several sub-component updates and keep the same version number. In fact, I was on 19205 before the waze mph fix and I'm still on 19205 after. I bet the actual version numbers in the IVSU APIM screens are a little more revealing about what has been updated and what has not than the general 'about' screen.

Luckily they have provided md5 hashes of the image that is loaded on each partition, and I can compare it to the package that is in the zip file I'm attempting to update with.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #834
You're fine. All packages updated for the map. 19205 is in reference to the 381 applications package.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're fine. All packages updated for the map. 19205 is in reference to the 381 applications package.
Can you tell me what your gracenote version is at? If I'm correct and it only updated the maps and the voice pack then I could just comment out those parts of the autoinstall and let it just update gracenote package (the JR3T-14G43-CB.tar.gz)

·
Registered
6 Posts
You have all the same level of filesets our C-Max is running after the map update. Our Gracenote version is 1.1.1.1139.

Something I have noticed that maybe I hadn't before. It seems to take longer (3 seconds vs 1 second) for the voice Nav to respond to commands, such as "find a POI".

David Bricker / SYR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just went back and looked. My 391 package is at JR3T-14G391-CD 3.0.17137 as opposed to JR3T-14G391-CE 3.2.19056 as josharmour's unit is displaying. Am I still missing an update package? What is the 391 bundle?

David Bricker / SYR

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #838
Something I have noticed that maybe I hadn't before. It seems to take longer (3 seconds vs 1 second) for the voice Nav to respond to commands, such as "find a POI".

David Bricker / SYR
Normal if you're starting from a map that was pre-16Q1. With 16Q1 & v3.0, it'll default to nearby and runs some of the background logic right away during the ~1.5s added delay. The POI search is where the delay would be noticeable.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #839
Just went back and looked. My 391 package is at JR3T-14G391-CD 3.0.17137 as opposed to JR3T-14G391-CE 3.2.19056 as josharmour's unit is displaying. Am I still missing an update package? What is the 391 bundle?

David Bricker / SYR
Yes. 391 is the core voice package, so it has all of the data for VR. If you're running a new -381 with an old -391, you're going to run into problems. Sessions may randomly end, commands that should work won't, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. 391 is the core voice package, so it has all of the data for VR. If you're running a new -381 with an old -391, you're going to run into problems. Sessions may randomly end, commands that should work won't, etc.
It doesn't appear that the bundle downloaded during my map purchase has any updates to the 391 package. Should it have had?

David Bricker / SYR

821 - 840 of 868 Posts