2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

841 - 860 of 953 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #841
It doesn't appear that the bundle downloaded during my map purchase has any updates to the 391 package. Should it have had?

David Bricker / SYR
That's usually only part of the standard software updates, e.g. the 19205 update. The -422 is the voice data for Nav searches (brands, POIs, addresses...). Those live with the map updates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I updated to Sync 3.0 build 19205 a couple of weeks ago, in preparation for the Map update. Did I miss an update there?

These are the current versions:

David Bricker / SYR

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I updated to Sync 3.0 build 19205 a couple of weeks ago, in preparation for the Map update. Did I miss an update there?

These are the current versions:

David Bricker / SYR
@David_Bricker... the 5th pic looks exactly the same as mine apart from the vin. of course..;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #845

David Bricker / SYR
You should have updated to the -CE 391 package when you did the 19205 update. In your specific case, there really no functional difference from the -CD to -CE so you're OK to leave it as is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should have updated to the -CE 391 package when you did the 19205 update. In your specific case, there really no functional difference from the -CD to -CE so you're OK to leave it as is.
Thanks for that answer. If no difference, I will leave it alone, and not spend more time with it. Thank you also for the explanation on the additional delay when using POI finding.

David Bricker / SYR

·
Registered
5 Posts
1) What error do you see? PKG_ERR03
2) When? About 10 minutes after I've inserted the USB key
3) Have you tried anything on your own to fix it, e.g. install a different package? Downloaded files multiple times. I've tried several USB keys, FAT32 and exFat.
4) Vehicle model year 2017 Focus Titanium
5) Region, in case your from across the pond/s. UK

Hi all. This is a useful thread, and I've referred to it multiple times when trying to troubleshoot my problem but have been unable to get the update installed. The Ford Owner's site says I have a Sync update and a maps update, but I have to install the Sync update before the maps update will be available.

I'm on SYNC 3 version 2.2, build 16280. The update I've downloaded is to build 19205.

I've downloaded the 2.6GB zip file. I got errors when I extracted the data using the Windows standard unzipper and the size of the data was around 1GB. I mananged to get it extracted without errors using NCH software, and the data was much larger then. I'm assuming this is relevant to my PKG_ERR03 message, but can't be certain. (It may be that though I now have the data extracted without error there's still a problem.)

The unzip errors were with the two files below
JR3T-14G391-AE (I think this is a voice file)
JR3T-14G423-AB (I think this is Gracenotes)

I have the proper arrangement of files on my USB drive (i.e. two files and a folder in the root directory, and the various files listed all in the SyncMyRide folder).

I've tried at least ten times to install the update, always ending in the PKG_ERR03 message. Does anyone have any tips plese? Can I exclude the two files above from my autoinstall file (I think I know how to do this). Would that cause an issue?

My autoinstall file is as below (I've attached an image of the files in the SyncMyRide directory):
; SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.0.21 - Only for Nav/EU assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.19205_PRODUCT]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-THA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-THA.tar.gz
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-TCB
Open2 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TCB.tar.gz
Item3 = HB5T-14G386-AHJ
Open3 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-AHJ.tar.gz
Item4 = JR3T-14G391-AE
Open4 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G391-AE.tar.gz
Item5 = JR3T-14G381-AS
Open5 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AS.tar.gz
Item6 = JR3T-14G423-AB
Open6 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G423-AB.tar.gz
Item7 = HB5T-14G387-AAB
Open7 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G387-AAB.tar.gz
Item8 = GB5T-14G386-AB
Open8 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AB.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall,Delay

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #848
I've tried at least ten times to install the update, always ending in the PKG_ERR03 message. Does anyone have any tips plese? Can I exclude the two files above from my autoinstall file (I think I know how to do this). Would that cause an issue?
Sounds like a corrupt download. And not the only one I heard of over the weekend. Not sure what is going on though. Perhaps give it a day or two and re-try?

It'll function if you only install the -381, but the -381 and -391 are paired. Having them out of sync will cause problems with VR, if you use it. Gracenote is just the DB, so that may/may not impact you at all.

Reactions: scoggy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like a corrupt download. And not the only one I heard of over the weekend. Not sure what is going on though. Perhaps give it a day or two and re-try?

It'll function if you only install the -381, but the -381 and -391 are paired. Having them out of sync will cause problems with VR, if you use it. Gracenote is just the DB, so that may/may not impact you at all.
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I'll be best off waiting until I get a download from Ford for which I don't get any unzip errors. I'm fortunate not to have download limits on my broadband as it's a large file and a very slow download!

By the way, I've been driving my car when installing (or failing to install) as that seems to be what people recommend on some forums. Is that necessary? If I sit in my car on the driveway with my engine running it seems antisocial. Do I need to run the engine? Is that so that I don't drain the battery?

If it helps the link to the package Ford provide is (with the first bit removed in case it causes problems) ...azureedge.net/owner-package/2312344331665956361/SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip (though as I've said it's a large slow download, so I'm not proposing anyone try it unless they have a strong interest!)

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #851
By the way, I've been driving my car when installing (or failing to install) as that seems to be what people recommend on some forums. Is that necessary? If I sit in my car on the driveway with my engine running it seems antisocial. Do I need to run the engine? Is that so that I don't drain the battery?
It's mainly just to prevent power off at a bad time. To be exceedingly safe, you should at least idle it. No need to drive, but if you commute it'll feel more transparent. For a simple software update (map is different), doing it in accessory mode is usually fine. I forget what the timeout is for EU region. In NA it's 30 minutes. Most software updates are done in 15-20 or less. You might also have the auto engine off feature, so you'd need to allow it to keep running. In NA that's also 30 minutes.

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
5 Posts
I downloaded the files again from the Ford site, twice (over 5GB of data). Each time I got the same thing - two of the files couldn't be extracted by Windows or 7 Zip, but could be by NCH's tool (nchsoftware.com/zip/index.html). I spent some time last night looking at this and have done the following:
  • Used the NCH tool to uncompress the tar.gz files I was having trouble with.
  • Used 7 Zip to tar and gzip the resulting folders, making sure the reslting files have the same names as the originals.
My thought is that SYNC is, like 7 Zip, having trouble uncompressing the two files, which is leading to my PKG_ERR03 error. My hope now is that the files will be able to be extracted by SYNC and I may avoid the error.

The two files 7 Zip was unable to uncompress are:
JR3T-14G391-AE (I think this is a voice file)
JR3T-14G423-AB (I think this is Gracenotes)

An odd thing is, the 391-AE file is over 1GB when NCH extracts it from the downloaded zip, but when I've gone through the process above of uncompressing and then recompressing it's only 88MB. Something seems wrong with that!

I'm hoping to get some time in the week to try out these new files, but it may not be until the weekend.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
I downloaded the files again from the Ford site, twice (over 5GB of data). Each time I got the same thing - two of the files couldn't be extracted by Windows or 7 Zip, but could be by NCH's tool (nchsoftware.com/zip/index.html).
Don't decompress those. Leave them as .tar.gz's and drop them in /SyncMyRide

·
Registered
5 Posts
I
Don't decompress those. Leave them as .tar.gz's and drop them in /SyncMyRide
The end result is that the tar.gzs are in the SyncMyRide folder, but my aim is that rather than have tar.gzs on the USB stick that 7 Zip couldn't read, I'll have tar.gzs on there that it can read (my hope being that if 7 Zip can read them then SYNC will also be able to read them).

Can't say whether that will work, but it seemed like a logical thing to try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. MEM_ERR03

2. When I insert the USB stick, the system prompts the following:
  • Prompt 1: Software Update Detected: I click Next
  • Prompt 2: Software Update Detected: Do You Want to proceed with installation? I click YES.
  • It appears to begin to update but then Prompt 2 appears again. I click Yes again.
  • Next prompt is the MEM_ERR03
3. I've done two master resets but the problem persists.
4. Ford Escape 2018 Titanium
5. USA

For what it's worth, I'm running SYNC 3, Software Version 3.0, Build 18093.

Each time I start the car I get an Installation in Progress screen followed by the same above prompts along with the MEM_ERR03. Map turn by turn voice does not work and neither do any voice commands. It sounds like I'm in the same boat as @whpony96. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the dealership for a fix.

Normally when it comes to stuff like this, I'm firmly in the if it ain't broke, don't fix it camp, but my curiosity got the best of me when the FordPass app notified me of map updates. Should've just left it alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
An update on the PKG_ERR03 problem I was having and posted about above. I've got the SYNC update installed now, and it took me a fair amount of time to solve (with help from people on this and another forum).

The summary of my experience is:

- I was able to extract the original file(s) I downloaded from Ford with NCH Express but not 7Zip or Windows. However, even when I put the files extracted by NCH onto a USB I was unable to get through the install process without PKG_ERR03 (which I gather means SYNC was having trouble decompressing the tar.gz files on the USB stick).

- I'd assumed that meant the file was compressed by Ford in an odd way

- It turned out the file was getting corrupted somewhere between me and Ford (someone else was able to download the files from the link I supplied and use 7Zip to uncompress them).

- I tried several ways to download the file (including over my mobile network) but got the same result each time.

- In the end I managed to get an uncorrupted file by 'downloading' the file directly to my Google Drive (I have 100GB of storage there) from the URL (below) using a third party service I signed up to (free): multicloud.com. I was then able to download the zip file from Google Drive to my PC and unzip it without error (using 7Zip or Windows' native unzip functionality).

- Once I had a version which Windows and 7Zip could extract without error it installed on my car without error

A real hassle, and took a lot of effort (thanks to all on forums whose experiences and insightes helped me figure this out). It turns out Ford aren't compressing the files in an odd way, but I think there's something odd about their servers (or something) which is leading to this being flakey. I'm sure there must be other ways to get an uncorrupted file, but this is at least one way.

For this I needed the URL of the file I was downloading. I got this from a the download page on Chrome (when downloading from the Ford site) and my URL was https://ivsubinaries.azureedge.net/owner-package/2312344331665956361/SYNC3_2815874155_Update.zip

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Not sure if this is coincidence or not, but I got this in the mail yesterday at the same time my Ford Pass app told me I have an update for my Sync. Anybody know anything about this Sync 3 update?

66666DB1-6667-4C03-B50E-04AABFCB729D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Not sure if this is coincidence or not, but I got this in the mail yesterday at the same time my Ford Pass app told me I have an update for my Sync. Anybody know anything about this Sync 3 update?

View attachment 76195
I am confused, the letter talks about MFT which is Sync 2. This thread is for Sync 3?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Same problem for me. Downloaded on my windows 10 laptop. Went to place the files on my flash drive and I got 2 messages. Ford needs to fix this issue.

351F8DE1-E43B-4F07-927D-6AF3DA512CD9.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
(y) Big thanks to scoggy for posting the download fix. I bought my Kuga a week ago and wanted to update the sat nav but needed the software update first. had exactly the same issues posted by others so followed the steps described by scoggy and have extracted the file using native Win10 software. Commute takes me about 40 minutes so will hopefully be able to do the update tomorrow.

841 - 860 of 953 Posts