2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the SYNC3 Navigation Maps are no longer on an SD card with the updated SYNC3 system, how are the maps updated???

Are they updated as part of the SYNC3 update process (updated via WiFi), do I have to periodically purchase updates that are downloaded to something (SD card or flash drive), or what???

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Since the SYNC3 Navigation Maps are no longer on an SD card with the updated SYNC3 system, how are the maps updated???

Are they updated as part of the SYNC3 update process (updated via WiFi), do I have to periodically purchase updates that are downloaded to something (SD card or flash drive), or what???
They update via wifi. COnnect your car to your home wifi, or your phone as a hotspot. As for cost, I think it is free. I only have sync 2 so I never went too far down the sync3 rabbit hole.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The maps on Sync 3 are not free and are not part of the Ford WiFi updates. They will still be provided by Navigation.com and will probably come on a keyed USB drive (but maybe wireless), meaning no more reselling the old maps (unless someone manages to hack the licensing system, but Navigation.com uses some pretty slick validation schemes, usually tied to the Navigation unit's serial number or some other embedded device key in the firmware)

The one plus for Sync 3 is Apple Carplay or Android Auto, which may open you up to your phone's navigation system. But at 1st this will be coming out on the 2017 models, but Ford has indicated that 2016 Sync 3 owners should get this capability in a 'future' update.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The maps on Sync 3 are not free and are not part of the Ford WiFi updates. They will still be provided by Navigation.com and will probably come on a keyed USB drive (but maybe wireless), meaning no more reselling the old maps (unless someone manages to hack the licensing system, but Navigation.com some pretty slick validation schemes, usually tied to the Navigation unit's serial number or some other embedded device key in the firmware)

The one plus for Sync 3 is Apple Carplay or Android Auto, which may open you up to your phone's navigation system. But at 1st this will be coming out on the 2017 models, but Ford has indicated that 2016 Sync 3 owners should get this capability in a 'future' update.
Ohhh I was wrong. Glad you know and posted.

·
Registered
626 Posts

Hi Cbramsey5898,

atlcarl69 is correct. The map data in SYNC 3 is embedded and will be easy to update via USB. I'm unable to speculate on any possible cost at this time. That information hasn't been released.

Shaay

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Cbramsey5898,

atlcarl69 is correct. The map data in SYNC 3 is embedded and will be easy to update via USB. I'm unable to speculate on any possible cost at this time. That information hasn't been released.

Shaay
Thanks Shaay!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They update via wifi. COnnect your car to your home wifi, or your phone as a hotspot. As for cost, I think it is free. I only have sync 2 so I never went too far down the sync3 rabbit hole.
As I understand it, what you stated is correct as far as updating SYNC3. Contrast that with going to syncmyride.com and logging in, checking to see if an update is available, downloading said update to your computer, transferring all the files to the appropriate folders on your USB flash drive, going out to the vehicle, starting said vehicle, navigating to the update your SYNC with MFT OS.

Much easier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have had my Escape 2016 Ti for 8 months now and have Sync3. I have it connected to my home wifi. Ford Owner Site says I am up to date. My GPS maps are seriously out of date and blatantly wrong in some areas and in need of an update. What do I need to do to get my maps updated? I would be more than willing to purchase a CD or a Thumbdrive or anything to get my maps updated.

I went to http://ford.navigation.com/product-list/Catalog/Catalog_Ford_Escape_2016/en_US/FordNA/USD after checking http://ford.navigation.com/home/en_US/FordNA/USD for latest maps and got an error page.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Ford map updates are usually in the fall. With new systems such as Sync 3, it is common for the 1st update to appear in the calendar year after the introduction, so I would expect the 1st map update this coming fall.

The Ford Owner Site is saying that the Sync 3 software is up to date, but this is entirely separate from navigation maps.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Check https://maps.here.com/ as well to make sure that, at some point, the inaccuracies you're seeing were fixed in the map data by the supplier. Note that it's no guarantee that what you see on that site will make it into the next available map update as it depends on when in the release timeline changes are made, etc. for what ends up being included in the annual map update.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I guess I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have had my Escape 2016 Ti for 8 months now and have Sync3. I have it connected to my home wifi. Ford Owner Site says I am up to date. My GPS maps are seriously out of date and blatantly wrong in some areas and in need of an update. What do I need to do to get my maps updated? I would be more than willing to purchase a CD or a Thumbdrive or anything to get my maps updated.

I went to http://ford.navigation.com/product-list/Catalog/Catalog_Ford_Escape_2016/en_US/FordNA/USD after checking Ford/Mercury | Home | HERE for latest maps and got an error page.
Hi BurgDog,

SYNC 3 hasn't had any updates yet. Map updates will be issued in the form of a USB from our navigation partners at HERE Maps: Ford/Mercury | Home | HERE

If you're finding inaccuracies, I recommend reporting them here: https://mapcreator.here.com

Shaay

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just spoken to Ford regarding the out-of-date Navigation system on my brand new Escape and their response was this is what we get. When a newer version becomes available I can pay for it. What did I pay $800 for? Not happy.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
I've just spoken to Ford regarding the out-of-date Navigation system on my brand new Escape and their response was this is what we get. When a newer version becomes available I can pay for it. What did I pay $800 for? Not happy.
I would think that probably the NAV systems in all vehicle manufacturers would make you pay something for updates. This is not unique with Ford. I'm sure the NAV system was up to date when the vehicle was manufactured.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ford should be telling their customers they are buying out of date systems, and that they have to pay more to update them. My Garmin has free map updates and I was expecting that.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
Ford should be telling their customers they are buying out of date systems, and that they have to pay more to update them. My Garmin has free map updates and I was expecting that.
I guess this is a question to ask the dealer prior to purchasing. I personally don't assume that anything is free with vehicle purchases until I do my own due diligence. At least a Google search would be in order.

Before I purchase any vehicle, I do research so I know about the vehicle and options I'm getting. Very simple and easy to do to avoid disappointment in the future.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree with jshel101, all vehicle manufactures (especially Toyota) do this and all charge, they seem (speculation) to use old until they run out and then use newer versions it's not just Ford at all. I have also read people updating and found not much at al if anything changed even after 3 or so years (all depends on what roads around you changes and if minor they take a few years minimum to get to vehicle navigations). These are not like apple, google and other apps that get nearly instant so it seems.
Maybe sometime in the future vehicle manufactures will change this to free and near instant updates.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Part of the issue is customers have no idea what has to go into getting those maps into the car. The OEM has to work around the update frequency of the map data supplier, which varies depending upon the data format. The data format that can be used depends on the navigation engine so there's another condition. Also, companies like Garmin don't perform the extra testing on the map data that automotive OEMs do. They take the data and release it as is. That's not acceptable to an OEM. OEMs go through many (6-9) months of testing on map data to make sure it's automotive grade. Then keep in mind that data was likely finalized by the map supplier a few months prior to that. Then it has to be integrated into software for the OEM for further testing prior to line off of the first vehicle for the model year... that time all adds up. It's a well known issue that every OEM and map data provider is trying to address.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was confusing, as others have also pointed out. Claims Sync 3 updates through wifi, sounded like Nav was part of that system.

·
Registered
710 Posts

How do you know it's out of date? Are you judging by streets not showing up correctly during navigation, or is there a map date somewhere in the system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 288 Posts
About this Discussion
287 Replies
52 Participants
ralph7up
2013+ Ford Escape Forum
On Ford Escape Forum discover news, discussions, service tips, & technical help for your 2013+ Escape.
Full Forum Listing