2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the subject says, I noticed today that SYNC 3 version 3.4.43 was available for download via the Ford Owner site. Haven't found patch notes to know what's changed, but will be installing shortly via USB stick.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yes, it seems it's slowly rolling out now. This is 3.4.20136. No idea why they decided to go with 3.4.43, maybe "easier" to digest or something. You'll never find release notes for these though, so don't expect much. My bit is, at a high level, covered in the voice thread.

Reactions: MadManMoon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight! I didn't realize you're a Ford engineer with the SYNC team!

I noticed something yesterday as I drove aimlessly around Maryland installing the 19Q1 map updates to my 2020 Escape and my wife's 2019 F-150 - the instructions that show up on the screen are often contradictory to what is shown in online or PDF instructions, and could lead to confusion. For example, the on-screen prompt after "Step 1" of the map update (I'd post a picture, but I was in motion and couldn't capture it before it soft-reset itself) said to power-cycle the car (off, wait 15 seconds, on) to start "Step 2." When I did that, nothing happened. I re-downloaded the files onto the USB stick and restarted the install, this time simply doing nothing after the soft reset, and "Step 2" of the update proceeded normally, finally getting the "Installation Complete" message.

I've noticed this in the past with previous SYNC updates - though I will say with SYNC 3 the process has become much more straightforward and with fewer errors/inconstancies. How do I provide this feedback to Ford?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Install success - took about 30 minutes of driveway idling. Got an "installation failed" error message after the soft reset when I removed the USB stick, but after a hard reset (ignition off, wait 15 seconds, ignition on), got the "System Updated" prompt and verified Build 20136 installed. Also got the XML file to upload to Ford to confirm installation success.

No patch notes, and no noticeable difference in performance.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Install success - took about 30 minutes of driveway idling. Got an "installation failed" error message after the soft reset when I removed the USB stick, but after a hard reset (ignition off, wait 15 seconds, ignition on), got the "System Updated" prompt and verified Build 20136 installed. Also got the XML file to upload to Ford to confirm installation success.

No patch notes, and no noticeable difference in performance.
Check your installer for a 14G391 package. -BL for Non-Nav, -CL for Nav. Ran into one person with a Ranger that the download did not have it. Which is, wrong. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Contents of the autoinstall.lst file:

SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.4.43 - Only for Nav/NA assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.4.20136_PRODUCT]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-VEB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-VEB.tar.gz
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-VGA
Open2 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-VGA.tar.gz
Item3 = HB5T-14G386-VHA
Open3 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-VHA.tar.gz
Item4 = HB5T-14G386-VBB
Open4 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-VBB.tar.gz
Item5 = 5U5T-14G381-ED
Open5 = SyncMyRide\5U5T-14G381-ED.tar.gz
Item6 = GB5T-14G386-AC
Open6 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AC.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Thanks for the insight! I didn't realize you're a Ford engineer with the SYNC team!

I noticed something yesterday as I drove aimlessly around Maryland installing the 19Q1 map updates to my 2020 Escape and my wife's 2019 F-150 - the instructions that show up on the screen are often contradictory to what is shown in online or PDF instructions, and could lead to confusion. For example, the on-screen prompt after "Step 1" of the map update (I'd post a picture, but I was in motion and couldn't capture it before it soft-reset itself) said to power-cycle the car (off, wait 15 seconds, on) to start "Step 2." When I did that, nothing happened. I re-downloaded the files onto the USB stick and restarted the install, this time simply doing nothing after the soft reset, and "Step 2" of the update proceeded normally, finally getting the "Installation Complete" message.

I've noticed this in the past with previous SYNC updates - though I will say with SYNC 3 the process has become much more straightforward and with fewer errors/inconstancies. How do I provide this feedback to Ford?
Yes, follow the written instructions not the on screen (except the initial agreement that you'll lose some voice functionality during install, etc.). The automatic restart that happens in the middle uses the same install complete pop-up, and that's been confusing folks to pull the stick early. Instructions will say it'll restart twice by itself from memory. This causes a partial install and loss of nav voice. Been helping people fix that one lately. :( Official feedback channels are via the call center and dealers, the usual suspects.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Contents of the autoinstall.lst file:

SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.4.43 - Only for Nav/NA assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.4.20136_PRODUCT]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-VEB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-VEB.tar.gz
Item2 = HB5T-14G386-VGA
Open2 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-VGA.tar.gz
Item3 = HB5T-14G386-VHA
Open3 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-VHA.tar.gz
Item4 = HB5T-14G386-VBB
Open4 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-VBB.tar.gz
Item5 = 5U5T-14G381-ED
Open5 = SyncMyRide\5U5T-14G381-ED.tar.gz
Item6 = GB5T-14G386-AC
Open6 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AC.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall
ARG. Same problem. Please PM me your VIN if you're OK with it so I can report it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Will do! Thanks for the support, it's greatly appreciated!
Did you have 3.4.20021 installed prior? If so, that had the latest voice pack so you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
FYI for anyone else who downloads the update. If you were on 3.4.20021, you won't have a voice package. If you were on 19274 / 19200, then you should have either 14G391-BL (Non-Nav) or 14G391-CL (Nav) for the NA market.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
84 Posts
After downloading the update to my iMac and extracting the zip file, I can see that the file structure doesn't match what the Ford website shows.

Here's a screenshot of the website:

And here is what the file structure of the extracted zip file looks like:

Firstly, there is no SyncMyRide folder at all, and there is also no xml file. Is this going to cause me a problem?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
After downloading the update to my iMac and extracting the zip file, I can see that the file structure doesn't match what the Ford website shows.

Here's a screenshot of the website:
View attachment 77426

And here is what the file structure of the extracted zip file looks like:
View attachment 77427

Firstly, there is no SyncMyRide folder at all, and there is also no xml file. Is this going to cause me a problem?
The file set you have looks right, assuming you’re on 3.4.20021 at the moment (no voice image included). The website one is just an example from v3.0 days it appears. Just double check what software build you have installed.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium - The Dark Knight
69 Posts
Grabbed the download and extracted as per instructions but I'm stuck trying to figure out where to drive for 35 minutes to allow for the install :confused: (can't let the car sit in the garage of my condo idling, even with the hybrid the motor would kick on multiple times so carbon monoxide issues there NVM wasted fuel)

Why make the install such a long process all at once?

NefCanuck

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Grabbed the download and extracted as per instructions but I'm stuck trying to figure out where to drive for 35 minutes to allow for the install :confused: (can't let the car sit in the garage of my condo idling, even with the hybrid the motor would kick on multiple times so carbon monoxide issues there NVM wasted fuel)

Why make the install such a long process all at once?

NefCanuck
It shouldn't take that long. Are you Nav/Non-Nav? What is your current release build? 3.4.19200/19274? Those will need a couple extra files. You can start it in accessory and if it's not done by 20-25 minutes, fire the engine up then.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium - The Dark Knight
69 Posts
It shouldn't take that long. Are you Nav/Non-Nav? What is your current release build? 3.4.19200/19274? Those will need a couple extra files. You can start it in accessory and if it's not done by 20-25 minutes, fire the engine up then.
My car has Nav with the system as built on it's "birth date" of Feb 25/20.

The instructions say the car has to be running. Is that just to cover folks whose battery may be marginal? (I assume that if the process is interrupted, like during a Windows PC update "Bad Things Will Happen")

NefCanuck

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My car has Nav with the system as built on it's "birth date" of Feb 25/20.

The instructions say the car has to be running. Is that just to cover folks whose battery may be marginal? (I assume that if the process is interrupted, like during a Windows PC update "Bad Things Will Happen")

NefCanuck
Nav is a one step install. Usually runs something like 20 minutes. Yes, the "leave it running" is a fail safe thing. You'd also need to disable the automatic shut down after 30 minutes in the settings menu. Easiest (what I do personally), is put the vehicle outside, accessory mode for ~20-25 minutes, start and run to recharge the battery and finish off if it hasn't completed by then.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts