2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Much of your story could have been written by me a few months ago, I know the frustration. I'd first suggest making sure the dealership has attempted the ABS module update that has fixed the problem for many (Service Bulletin SSM 49574). Otherwise, please take a look at this thread and consider upgrading to a Group 48 AGM battery. It would an added expense since the dealership is unlikely to pay for it, but it's definitely worth your sanity.

My battery/vehicle now remains fully charged and error free since the upgrade. The larger capacity AGM battery is longer lasting, has double the RC, charges much faster, and is sealed. Even if it doesn't fix your issue, you'll have a better battery in every way.

I am being told by my dealership it will cost me $356.82 for them to install the battery and reset the BMS to the larger one. I'm not happy, but like you said its worth my sanity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, the Motorcraft AGM battery is shown as the correct part for the 2020 Hybrid on Ford's website. I've not read a single instance here where upgrading the battery didn't fix a low voltage issue. It worked for me, mine is currently sitting in the garage at 12.8v (100%). Operation has been decidedly normal ever since.

For me it was 'give AGM a try' or Lemon Law
I"m totally at the point where you are, its either I pay for a AGM or I get my salesperson involved and really make a big issue out of this. Something I don't have the time nor the energy to do, since I have wasted so much time with the Escape being in the shop to try and fix this matter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Much of your story could have been written by me a few months ago, I know the frustration. I'd first suggest making sure the dealership has attempted the ABS module update that has fixed the problem for many (Service Bulletin SSM 49574). Otherwise, please take a look at this thread and consider upgrading to a Group 48 AGM battery. It would an added expense since the dealership is unlikely to pay for it, but it's definitely worth your sanity.

My battery/vehicle now remains fully charged and error free since the upgrade. The larger capacity AGM battery is longer lasting, has double the RC, charges much faster, and is sealed. Even if it doesn't fix your issue, you'll have a better battery in every way.

My saga continues, I am going on dealership #2, which this time I went to the dealership that my salesman moved too, in hopes of him intervening and helping me with this "System off to save battery" message with his service manager. They kept my truck overnight and said the battery was low and they charged it. They said they were not getting the error message the next morning. Well I drive it home around 30 miles one way, pull in the driveway turn it off, get out of the car, close the door, and open the door, and Bam, there is the error message again. This now makes it 7 times into the dealerships for this error, and no one can figure it out?? My salesman said he is convinced that technology is too much for this little battery. I prepared a packet of all my service visits and how the battery has been changed to another one, how the BMS has been replaced, and yet they still don't know what to do? I said this blog along with others indicates that other people are having this issue and resolved it by replacing the same 12 volt accessory battery with a larger Group 48 battery. Both my service advisor and my salesperson said NOT to do that, because Ford won't warranty it, and I'll have to pay for it, and if something happens down the road then I could be up a creek. Both of them seemed to indicate without saying so, that Ford needs to do the right thing and fix this. Now this error comes up every single day every time I open up the car door. I am besides myself about it. My greatest fear is the car's battery will die and I won't be able to unlock my car doors, which some people have said has happened to them. I did see a thread in here that said they thought the Ford Pass was constantly trying to connect with the car and perhaps that was draining the battery. Well I have since deleted my Ford Pass App, along with turning off all the updates in my vehicle and anything else that would link to my car for info gathering. I also disabled my SNYC system to my cell phone. I feel now I have a "dumb" car not a "Smart" car as I have turned all the technology off that I could, and still the ERROR comes up. I just don't know what to do at this point? I can't keep taking my car in to the dealer and leaving overnight to have nothing come of it. I am at my wits end. I'm going to send a letter and all my service tickets to the Ford Headquarters in Dearborn, and see if that can spur anything on.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
@Sherri....there are many posts here about this as you are aware and in most cases owners have bitten the bullet and paid for the larger battery as you indicated.
Obviously Ford will not warranty it but to my knowledge this seems to solve the problem and I have not heard of any ensuing dramas.
Of course Ford will not admit that these latest Hybrid Escapes should have had a heavier duty battery in the first place.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid with Premium Package Agate Black Metallic with Black Leather
70 Posts
My saga continues, I am going on dealership #2, which this time I went to the dealership that my salesman moved too, in hopes of him intervening and helping me with this "System off to save battery" message with his service manager. They kept my truck overnight and said the battery was low and they charged it. They said they were not getting the error message the next morning. Well I drive it home around 30 miles one way, pull in the driveway turn it off, get out of the car, close the door, and open the door, and Bam, there is the error message again. This now makes it 7 times into the dealerships for this error, and no one can figure it out?? My salesman said he is convinced that technology is too much for this little battery. I prepared a packet of all my service visits and how the battery has been changed to another one, how the BMS has been replaced, and yet they still don't know what to do? I said this blog along with others indicates that other people are having this issue and resolved it by replacing the same 12 volt accessory battery with a larger Group 48 battery. Both my service advisor and my salesperson said NOT to do that, because Ford won't warranty it, and I'll have to pay for it, and if something happens down the road then I could be up a creek. Both of them seemed to indicate without saying so, that Ford needs to do the right thing and fix this. Now this error comes up every single day every time I open up the car door. I am besides myself about it. My greatest fear is the car's battery will die and I won't be able to unlock my car doors, which some people have said has happened to them. I did see a thread in here that said they thought the Ford Pass was constantly trying to connect with the car and perhaps that was draining the battery. Well I have since deleted my Ford Pass App, along with turning off all the updates in my vehicle and anything else that would link to my car for info gathering. I also disabled my SNYC system to my cell phone. I feel now I have a "dumb" car not a "Smart" car as I have turned all the technology off that I could, and still the ERROR comes up. I just don't know what to do at this point? I can't keep taking my car in to the dealer and leaving overnight to have nothing come of it. I am at my wits end. I'm going to send a letter and all my service tickets to the Ford Headquarters in Dearborn, and see if that can spur anything on.
I had the same issue. Dealer tested the battery and said it was defective. They replaced the battery under warranty and things seem to be working fine. They did not upgrade the battery. Have them swap out the battery and see what happens. Or do it yourself and if it works make a giant stink with the Service manager and get reimbursed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, the Motorcraft AGM battery is shown as the correct part for the 2020 Hybrid on Ford's website. I've not read a single instance here where upgrading the battery didn't fix a low voltage issue. It worked for me, mine is currently sitting in the garage at 12.8v (100%). Operation has been decidedly normal ever since.

For me it was 'give AGM a try' or Lemon Law
for the 2020 hybrid the manual and ford state the the hybrid 12 volt battery is BXT-99RT4-A, not the BAGM-48H6-760 (AGM). But for the 2021 Escape it does show the AGM battery is the standard battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am going thru a similar issue. I did research and found that on the 2021 hybrid Escapes that the BAGM-48H6-760 (the AGM battery) is the standard factory battery for this vehicle, unlike the 2020s it is not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, I too am in this boat. Has anyone tried the below battery?
Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM 760CCA BCI Group 48 Heavy Duty Battery
I’m in the same boat. Began seeing the system off to save battery message a few weeks ago. Then one day after sitting for 2 days ( in Wisconsin) with temps in high 30’s - low 30’s, I got onto the car to find it completely dead, no lights, nothing. Pressing start did nothing. I used my jump starter and that brought it back to life. Since then (1 week) I have been monitoring the resting battery voltage. It has ranged from a high of 12.4 volts down to a low of 11.4 volts. Clearly the battery never gets fully charged. the error reappears from time to time, but no repeat of the completely dead incident. At a dealership now, deep draw test says battery is good. They say battery is fully charged. They say Ford says battery should be around 12 volts, I say that is not near a full charge on a FLA battery unless the laws of physics have changed recently. I guess I will change out the battery myself if I can get them to reset the BMS to AGM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Duracell looks like it would work, but seems quite a bit more expensive (Ford is $160-$170). I will stick with Ford parts to try to not offend the Ford warranty police.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ford ran another test on the battery that showed it was bad. I asked if they would replace it with a 48 AH AGM if I paid for it. They said yes, but I would have to pay for the tech to change the BMS to reflect the new battery, and he had no idea how to do that. I was unwilling to pay for that, plus they told me that any future electrical issues involving checking the battery type would not be covered by warranty. So I had them replace the battery with the same type, and I will add a on-board battery trickle charger and plug it in when temps get cold. I will also monitor the battery voltage closely.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ford ran another test on the battery that showed it was bad. I asked if they would replace it with a 48 AH AGM if I paid for it. They said yes, but I would have to pay for the tech to change the BMS to reflect the new battery, and he had no idea how to do that. I was unwilling to pay for that, plus they told me that any future electrical issues involving checking the battery type would not be covered by warranty. So I had them replace the battery with the same type, and I will add a on-board battery trickle charger and plug it in when temps get cold. I will also monitor the battery voltage closely.
That will work but I think you will find that you will need to have your trickle charger continuosly attached when not driving regardless of weather based on other experiences here with the standard Ford battery on this model.
The ultimate solution is replacing it with the AGM battery so perhaps if your battery fails again down the track you can find another dealer that can instal a new AGM and reset the BMS for you.
Hopefully the battery charger will extend the life of your current battery in the meantime. 😉

·
Registered
2020 SE Sport Hybrid AWD
32 Posts
I’m getting this battery error too (2020 hybrid se sport) and the thing I notice is the screens sometimes run while the car is off just sitting in the driveway or a parking lot—sometimes the center screen, sometimes the infotainment screen.

I wonder if this is what’s draining it…?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
15 Posts
"Please turn ignition off or start engine"

This pops up when starting the vehicle or when returning to the vehicle after shutting it off. No rhyme or reason behind it. When this happens the alarm when pulling it into the garage and approaching the rear wall changes to a higher pitch and the constant tone that should happen when I am close to the rear wall never happens.

Also while driving the alarm will periodically trigger and a message "Collision Assistance Unavailable" will pop up. This has happened several times with no vehicle in front of me and it is loud enough to startle me.

Has anyone else run into this. The dealership insists there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.
It needs updates, probably more than likely the abs module and have them do a 12v battery test on it. Lots of these were shipped with bad batteries. Do not put an agm battery in it. It’s not necessary and will not do you any good. Especially with a higher capacity battery it makes the dc/dc converter (step down) and transmission work harder than it needs to. The 12v battery is only used for vehicle startup and to keep module data alive when the vehicle is off and maybe some minor draw like a radio when the vehicle is off.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
15 Posts
I’m getting this battery error too (2020 hybrid se sport) and the thing I notice is the screens sometimes run while the car is off just sitting in the driveway or a parking lot—sometimes the center screen, sometimes the infotainment screen.

I wonder if this is what’s draining it…?
Yours also needs updates. Mine did that and they had to do an abs module update, pcm update and a Tcm update. Mine did that in the past and with updates it has been resolved. Hopefully your Tcm module isn’t bad either. Mine has been replaced two times lol.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts