2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reached a point where the Escape is on end of life care. I am going to finish up the outstanding projects I have for it and then it will just be getting maintenance until I trade it in. I thought I would add a build thread that I have been meaning to get around to for quite a while now. I did a real crap job o documenting how each mod was done but if there anyone is curious how one of them was accomplished, I will be more than happy to explain/take apart my vehicle to get better pictures. They are in no particular order.

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pioneer MVH 1400NEX with Maestro RR, added power button if I wanted the screen completely off, added the sun visor to block direct sunlight and have a better mounting spot for phones
IMG_1199.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Somehow ended up with a crack in the back of the fog light/parking light/turn signal housing. The lights were fogging up very easily and it annoyed me. I ended up cutting the entire back off the housing and replacing the fog lights with some Rigid SAE fogs with amber covers. Replaced the turn signals and parking lights with some other Rigid lights (I think SM-Pros?) and diode dynamics switchback modules. The smaller lights now are on with parking lights and will blink for turn signals. This is not a cost effective solution for most people, but I had bought all these lights previously when they were on sale so to me, it was $0.
IMG_1197.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Added some other lights to the bumper because I can't leave it alone. The upper light bar is a flood Rigid SR Pro 10" and it comes on with high beams. The lowers are Rigid D series spots with amber covers that come on with fog lights. I only use fogs when the weather is really really bad so although it is not legal to use them on road, I have yet to be pulled over. I fully expect it to happen at some point and will give them their own switch at that point or remove them.

This also shows the last project I am working on.
IMG_1196.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having the Maestro, I am able to pull up some gauges and check stuff like intake temps. I was not happy having 145 degree temps when not moving very fast in traffic, so I bought a cheap universal air intake kit on Amazon and added it. It runs from the air box to the radiator surround. Total cost was $20 and now intake temps are ambient temperature. Negligible impact on MPG (as in I haven't noticed a difference). Can also see some of the wiring for the flood light bar. I am realizing now how poor of a picture that is. I will try to remember to get better ones.
IMG_1195.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I much prefer the 2017+ fake side vents so I added those a few years ago. There is a tab on the front side that has to be cut off but then they fit fine. I had originally tried to paint the old ones but they still looked dated so I eventually abandoned that idea and just ordered the sport black ones.
IMG_1193.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have gone through two sets of swollen lug nuts and finally got tired of dealing with those. At about 90k miles, I bought 5 Raceline 198B Vectors (I think that's the name?) to use since they had covers for the lug nuts. I cut out the center caps and replaced with some black Ford ones to look more OEM. The caps are epoxied in there so they won't come out. Coincidentally, it is a lot easier to change CV axles since I can take the center caps off without taking the wheels off. I also painted the silver parts of the wheels the same time I painted the window trim. I don't particularly like the all black look but these were the cheapest wheels with lug nut covers I could find so I decided to lean into it. They are wrapped in 235/55/R17 Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires. They are three peak snow rated and have been through two winters so far. They have about 25k miles on them and I am very pleased with their performance. I was worried that I would need winter tires for the NJ/NYC winters but that hasn't been the case since I got these.
IMG_1192.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I added some additional backup lights because our street is not lit and it is hard to see when backing up into our driveway. These do not shine directly behind the car which is great because it lights up what I would potentially hit with my back two corners. I had already changed all the interior and rear facing lights to LED so adding these on the same circuit as the reverse lights was not an issue. This is the Rigid Ignite backup kit. You can also see the rear black diaper that I painted the same time as the two rear reflectors.

IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_1190.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was annoyed by the lack of 12V plug in the rear of the vehicle so I added one. I also tapped the delayed power relay behind the glove compartment to run all additional accessories so this 12V outlet is only hot when the vehicle is running. It's nice to have my Noco jump starter plugged in there or my daughter's fan for the hot days or our prtable battery for camping. Also carry some light duty ratchet straps in case I need to secure anything. The Escape used to be our "workhorse" vehicle but we bought a 4Runner earlier this year so it has been quite awhile since I needed to use either the 12V outlet or the ratchet straps.
IMG_1189.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my previous vehicle, I had a lock button in the cargo area. It was very handy when you were unloading groceries and didn't want to fish the keys out of your pocket so I added one to the Escape. Tapped all the needed wires behind the glove box and ran the wires through the headliner to back here.
IMG_1188.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was probably the first thing I added to the vehicle. I bought it in Washington and then one month later drove it to Ohio. I had heard that the Escapes could catch fire and figured that $20 was worth it to have one of these with me all the time.
IMG_1187.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had some leftover Gladiator netting from a project on our 4Runner so I decided to put it up in the back. The net can hold 1500 pounds. The mounting locations cannot. It's mostly there because our driveway is a hill and I sometimes park on it. With the slope of the hill and the slope of the back of the Escape, too many things have fallen out the back when I open the liftgate.
IMG_1186.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leftover from our camping days. Now that I have a less than 1 year old daughter and a second on the way, we don't fit in the Escape on trips anymore and we can't go camping as well as we used to. Camping has been put on hold for the foreseeable future but these will stay mounted. The shovel is nice peace of mind for the winter if I do happen to get stuck (it would suck to have to use but nice to not be stuck) and the hatchet is still there because I don't want an empty spot. If either is dirty, the Gladiator net is dense enough to stop the dirt from getting on the cargo.

IMG_1185.jpg

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
some unique mods.
i like the extra lock switch in the cargo, and the shovel/axe mounts.
i also didnt realize the 2017 fender garnish fit the 2013. thats a easy upgrade rather than plastidip like i did.

whats ur current mileage? any major issues?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm too lazy to like every individual post so I'll do one big (y) here. I lot of interesting and handy things you did! Thanks for posting them.

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whats ur current mileage? any major issues?
Just over 115K. It had been going up at a rate of 30K/year when I first bought it but has dropped to just over 10K/year since moving to NYC. Hopefully it will last another two or three years.

Only major issue was a broken flexplate X3. It should be fine now though. Warrantied by the shop on the third time and the owner was the one who did the work. Was able to show me the worn bushing that was causing the issue. I don't know where I am going to mount it but I plan on mounting that bushing. It was the most expensive piece of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm too lazy to like every individual post so I'll do one big (y) here. I lot of interesting and handy things you did! Thanks for posting them.
Thanks! I should have done like you and posted as I did them but oh well

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got to change the overflow coolant hose today. Was out testing the new headlights and got a low coolant message and then a pull over/engine overheating message. Saw white smoke coming from behind and my heart sank. Had it towed home and started pulling it apart in the hopes it was the coolant head temperature sensor I had replaced the day before. It was not but this overflow hose is near that sensor. $50 and a few days later it was here. Took all of 5 minutes to change since the airbox and battery tray were already out. Only lost about a quart of coolant. Here's the broken part:

·
Registered
2013 Escape 1.6L AWD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Final mod is done. Front facing lights. Got a Rigid SR Pro 10" light bar wired in to the high beams, Rigid SAE fogs with amber covers, Rigid D series spots with amber covers wired to the fogs, Rigid SR-Q diffused ambers as parking lights/DRL and turn signal, Spyder headlights (I think?) With DRL and retrofitted with some H1 HID projectors for lows and using the included H1 reflectors with LEDs for highs.

DRLs (switched in cabin)

9187E570-C637-4F21-8671-3EA3140152B2.jpeg

Lows

A8639FBD-D4B7-44E2-BD95-97D66F257EE3.jpeg

Highs

F7B1B900-E4CB-468B-A450-85C279175E0F.jpeg

Fogs

57CD472A-7C9C-46FC-A6A2-E573D2810401.jpeg

All lights

7DD802A7-DAED-4CAA-AA07-BFEF0D6A515E.jpeg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts