2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 17 titanium 1.5 with 55k miles. I bought it used and have noticed often it runs at exactly half for the coolant temp gauge. I have read it’s a dummy gauge, but has anyone else seen this in their own escape? It never has gone above half at all
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Trip computer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,608 Posts
That would be normal.
One other thing, the gauge it is driven by the PCM to show the temp of the overall system, there's no longer a single engine sensor that drives the gauge.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My 2017 model always goes up to half when warm. I have never towed a heavy trailer to see if it goes up at all on hills etc.

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
2013 Escape SE 1.6L
29 Posts
This is how mine is as well, albeit a different model (2013 SE 1.6L) - never really rose above halfway.

That being said, I had overheating issues this summer, and it did indeed go above halfway when things were not ok, topping out until the system cooled down.

·
Registered
515 Posts
For the record, this is pretty much standard practice throughout the auto industry. A normal temp for the engine is the center of the gauge. Anything higher is of course overheating, and anything lower indicates the engine is running too cool. On most vehicles you want the gauge to be right in the middle or near to it. If it's not during normal running conditions, than you have a potential issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I noticed something last week when I had my brakes replaced and when my escape was on the lift. In the front, there is the AC cooler (well the mini radiator in front of the main one). Then there is the radiator behind it (but bigger). After eight years, I noticed that there has been some damage to it because of large mosquitoes or small rocks.

I’m not talking big damage on mine but surely a more damaged radiator and AC cooler with lots of dried bugs and rock damage could reduce cooling. Also, pressure washers can definitely damage these slats (not sure if this is the appropriate English term). There is a trick to sort of fix that with lots of patience for minor damage: take an extremely narrow scraper (plastic one in my case if I decide to do it) and open gently the slats that have been crushed or replace the radiator and cooler. Not sure how expensive of a job that is…

Note: English is not my mother tongue. I’m pretty skilled with IT terms but less familiar with automotive English terms except for the obvious ones (windshield or flashers). :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts