2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've seen 2020 Escapes starting to land at Ford dealerships around me, and I test drove a 2.0 Titanium a while back and was very impressed. But what I'd really been hunting for was a test drive of the new hybrid drivetrain. (My sales manager buddy told me they weren't landing until early next year) I'd been watching Edmunds.com and found one that actually had real pictures at Golf Mill Ford in Niles, IL. I drove the hour down there (edit: in my 2020 MKZ service loaner, because my Escape is currently getting a 1.6L heart transplant mostly at Ford's expense) and got to test drive this Titanium: http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FMCU9DZ7LUA48893

It is everything I loved about the 2.0 2020 Titanium I drove but in a hybrid. Power delivery is typically hybrid-y - quick off the line when on the motor, but lagging a little when the gas engine needs to chime in. For my driving style, I'm sure I'll have no problem. It got 29.9 MPG in the short little surface streets jaunt test drive we took according to the display when I turned it off. The right side of the cluster display shows how much power (in kilowatts I think?) that the engine and motor are contributing at a given time, along with the standard hybrid power vs. regen meter. The display also has a regen braking coach that pops up after you stop and gives you a score out of 100, I apparently did quite well. :) It still has remote start, and the gas engine doesn't start (right away?) when you fire it up, I think the heat runs off of the hybrid battery.

Only slightly weird thing is we couldn't get the hands-free liftgate to work when we got back to the lot. Maybe it ships disabled? It's listed on the window sticker, so I'm not worried.

Now I'm just waiting for SYNC 4 to arrive (I figure either a later job in 2020, or maybe for the 2021 revision), and then my 2014 is getting traded in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing that I also noticed on the 2.0 - because I am the very tall sort, the graphics for the HUD end up on the hood instead of out over the road. I love the idea of the HUD, the very first car I ever drove (my mom's 1993 Pontiac Bonneville) had one, but I'm not certain how well it'll work for me in practice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for this review, I have been interested in testing driving a Hybrid myself as I test drove a 2.0 L last month. I know you mentioned it felt like a hybrid off the line, but did you ever feel the passing gear engage and/or was noticeably slower than the 2.0 L? Is there anything significant that jumps out at you otherwise when comparing your driving experience with the 2.0 L and this Hybrid?
Also, I need to be hooked up with the dealership that gave you a Lincoln as a loaner. ;)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thanks for the review. My wife has a 2012 Escape Hybrid Limited and will be interested in the current Hybrid when she is in the market for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this review, I have been interested in testing driving a Hybrid myself as I test drove a 2.0 L last month. I know you mentioned it felt like a hybrid off the line, but did you ever feel the passing gear engage and/or was noticeably slower than the 2.0 L? Is there anything significant that jumps out at you otherwise when comparing your driving experience with the 2.0 L and this Hybrid?
Also, I need to be hooked up with the dealership that gave you a Lincoln as a loaner. ;)
I'll be quite honest, I'm probably not the guy to speak authoritatively about power delivery. I guess what I can say is the times that I accelerated a little harder than I otherwise would (I'm not a "mash the pedal down" guy in most any context) the 2.0 felt like it had power to spare, and the hybrid felt like it accelerated about the same as the 2.0 for a second or two (what I presume to be the motor) and then plateaued off while the engine got to work. I absolutely recommend that you do not take my word for it and hunt down a hybrid to test drive for yourself, they're hard to find but they are starting to trickle out to the dealerships.

The Lincoln is for two reasons, one because as I mentioned one of the sales managers at the dealership is a family friend of mine - we bought/leased 3 Fords from him as a salesman and one from one of his guys since he's been a manager. The other reason is I've been making a nuisance of myself with Ford and the dealer over the engine in my Escape - short version of the story is that it had been blowing white smoke out the exhaust on cold starts and the service department only told me after my extended warranty was up that the engine needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FEH3.jpg FEH4.jpg IMG_0083.jpg FEH1.jpg

Well I took a test drive in a 2020 FEH Titanium White and got 56 mpg / 3 miles city. The Display isn't user friendly and is going to take sometime to get use too. It accelerates very good, spun tires on wet road and EV seems stronger than CMAX. Handling was close to CMAX and the BridgeStones Ecopia 225/55-19 were set at 33 psi and Max is 40 psi. kind of low compared to Michelin ES 51 psi Max. Heated steering wheel and seats. They want me to come back and test it on the FWY tomorrow, 45 min. each way we will see. Any body interested in anything special I need to look for?

Paul

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
What sort of warranty is there on the battery?

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
One problem I can see is as that 8yr/ 100k warranty comes closer the used values are going to drop big time. IMHO they need to have some sort of upfront fixed price (maximum price?) on a replacement battery pack. So you know what you're up for if the worst happens.

·
Registered
672 Posts
FEH3.jpg FEH4.jpg IMG_0083.jpg FEH1.jpg

Well I took a test drive in a 2020 FEH Titanium White and got 56 mpg / 3 miles city. The Display isn't user friendly and is going to take sometime to get use too. It accelerates very good, spun tires on wet road and EV seems stronger than CMAX. Handling was close to CMAX and the BridgeStones Ecopia 225/55-19 were set at 33 psi and Max is 40 psi. kind of low compared to Michelin ES 51 psi Max. Heated steering wheel and seats. They want me to come back and test it on the FWY tomorrow, 45 min. each way we will see. Any body interested in anything special I need to look for?

Paul
Reviews on those Ecopia tires don't look very good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One problem I can see is as that 8yr/ 100k warranty comes closer the used values are going to drop big time. IMHO they need to have some sort of upfront fixed price (maximum price?) on a replacement battery pack. So you know what you're up for if the worst happens.
I'm on 4 other FORD Hybrid Forums and I have never heard of replacing a hybrid HVB, you only use 1/3rd of it and with 240k miles/7 yrs on my CMAX Hybrid I can say this isn't going to be a problem. Now if you are talking about the Plugin HVB there has been a lot of discussion about loss of capacity and maybe there should some minimum capacity value, FORD has gone to a coolant cooling system which Should help that problem.

Paul

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
Now if you are talking about the Plugin HVB there has been a lot of discussion about loss of capacity and maybe there should some minimum capacity value
That's the other issue I guess. At what level of capacity loss is it deemed that you have a valid warranty claim within that 8 year period?

·
Registered
6 Posts

FEH5.jpg
FEH6.jpg FEH7.jpg
I took the FEH Titanium for a ride on the FWY without Hypermiling, but under speed limit some of the time. I'm trying to figure out how the displays work which are vaguely similar to CMAX. Not as much Hybrid info as 2013 CMAX. Got 39.9 mpg's for 13.7 mile trip and I know I can do better when I figure out everything. The back space is 6" wider and about 8" longer than CMAX. I would say cabin noise is simiar the CMAX.
Steering is very responsive.
I used my ScanGaugeII and watched the SOC which was interesting in that it would charge quickly up to 66% SOC and motors have more power to accelerate quickly and maintain high speed. Not sure what percentage of HVB is use able. At this point I don't know the most efficient way to drive this car yet, it's going to that awhile to learn.
:headscratch:
The regen seems to be more aggressive and I wasn't able to watch WT too much, but I didn't see it get up to operating temps. The only way to get the Heads Up Display is by getting the Moon Roof, a $2000 option, definitely not a must have option.
:sad:
Without Moon Roof and Special paint the price is $33,400 for the top of the line Titanium option. I also got the OM to check out.
Still no info on Plugin.
I looked the OM and I consider it border line useless as far as the Hybrid goes.
:sad:
They should have carried over the CMAX/FFH display so there wouldn't be any learning curve. It's strange that there is no info on the Hybrid Display and what it means. Any Hybrid info is about Hybrids in general.You Tube video would be nice. BTW the FEPI HVB is water cooled.

Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts