2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV Titanium Premium
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I just picked up a new 2021 Escape PHEV Titanium Premium and am using a USB stick for music. After the vehicle has been off for a while, it can never resume USB music playback by itself. It times out with message "the media device is not available". It can always play fine when I manually re-select the USB source, but cannot resume on startup, unless the vehicle has been off for only a very short while (just a couple minutes), then it does resume properly.
  1. I tried with 3 different brands, sizes and USB versions (1.1, 2 and 3.1) of memory sticks with the same results with each device.
  2. I updated Sync to the very latest version of the 3.4 branch.
  3. I tried different file systems on the USB sticks.
  4. I tried re-indexing the USB media multiple times. It does indeed complete successfully the indexing each time.
  5. I tried a master reset of Sync.
  6. I tried a cold reboot, by disconnecting the 12v battery for 45 minutes.
Any ideas of what would be causing this ?

Thanks in advance for your time ! :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
This shouldn't be the case with a brand new car, but try doing a master reset of sync with the USB stick removed.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,576 Posts
1) Make sure the USB is formatted as exFat, not FAT32.
2) Make sure your Sync is up to date, the current is 3.4 21194, dealers rarely update this when a car is delivered.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1) Make sure the USB is formatted as exFat, not FAT32.
2) Make sure your Sync is up to date, the current is 3.4 21194, dealers rarely update this when a car is delivered.
Thanks. This was already the case. Especially since Ford seems to recommend exFat for updating Sync via USB.

This shouldn't be the case with a brand new car, but try doing a master reset of sync with the USB stick removed.
Well, it seems that a master reset has indeed fixed the issue so far.

I'll let you guys know in a few days if that remains the case.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well nope. :( It worked only once this morning. But it is not finding the USB media any more on startup. I had many opportunities today and it never worked. I am starting to wonder if some files or the folder structure itself is causing issues.

I will try with a USB stick that has a single MP3 file directly at the root.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even with a single file on the drive it gives the same error on resume.

Do you guys have a model of flash memory to recommend? I might as well get a new device.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium
46 Posts
I've had my escape for a year and it started doing what you're experiencing since the last update to SYNC. You'll probably have to wait for the next update for SYNC. I'm using an SSD drive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received the Nano flash drive today. I'll give that a try.

I also found this tidbit here.

source
The only thing that made it work reliably for me was not only to format as FAT32 but also to set the allocation unit size for the format to 4096 bytes.

Before doing this, the drive had come pre-formatted as FAT32 but Sync would intermittently either completely not recognize the drive, or recognize it but then randomly freeze up/fail/disconnect, it was absolutely maddening.

After reformatting with the 4096 allocation unit size, it works flawlessly

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I received the Nano flash drive today. I'll give that a try.

I also found this tidbit here.
Please let us know how you go as this info is handy for others here especially if you are successful in solving the issue. ;)

Reactions: Valtor

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They new nano drive by itself did not fix the issue. It came with FAT32 out of the box. I left it like that for my first tests.

I am now testing with FAT32 using 4Kb allocation unit size. If that does not work, I will try with exFat using 4Kb allocation unit size.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothing I tried is working. At this point I am pretty sure it's a bug in Sync and not much I can do.

I have an AAWireless Gen2 adapter on order that should ship in january. So I guess I can just rely on my 3 month trial of SiriusXm until then. After that, music will come via wireless Android auto. I just hope the adapter will not have the same issue being found as there is with a simple flash memory.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I guess there is one last thing I can test. I've updated Sync3 to beta version 3.4.21265. Let's see if that changes anything...

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Ok so I guess there is one last thing I can test. I've updated Sync3 to beta version 3.4.21265. Let's see if that changes anything...
What is the source of your beta code? Official Ford release or other?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is the source of your beta code? Official Ford release or other?
My understanding is that the packages are official Ford packages. But the tool I used to get those beta files is not official: Sync 3.4.21265 - Feedback & Issues

(Note to moderators: If this link should not be posted here, please let me know or feel free to remove it.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had my escape for a year and it started doing what you're experiencing since the last update to SYNC. You'll probably have to wait for the next update for SYNC. I'm using an SSD drive.
Do you know which version you had before?

Beta 21265 did not fix the issue. I could try downgrading to a version that is ok.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just tried a Master Reset once again with the 21265, but I noticed that the great majority of my settings are kept after the master reset. Is that normal? FordPass, connected phones and stuff like that are lost but all the vehicule settings, like intelligent cruise and such are all kept to what I had set them.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That is normal after a Master Reset as that the only thing which is stored on the APIM is FordPass, paired phones, etc.
The rest of the settings are actually stored in the BCM.
At this point: 1) Try pulling the battery cable for ~35 minutes to see if a cold reboot fixes this; 2) try using the other USB port to see if you have a bad port. They make USB C to USB A right angle adapters which fit Tripp Lite USB C to USB-A Cable Right Angle 3.1 5 Gbps USB Type C M/F 6in - U428-06N-F-CRA - USB Cables - CDW.com

If neither works, it's a trip to the dealer so that they can open a case with Ford.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts