2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV Titanium Premium
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok, so first I am downgrading to 21194. Then I'll do a Master Reset. After that I'll try a cold reboot. I just need to disconnect the negative cable ? Ford should have given us a method of doing a real reboot without touching the hardware, like I could do on my Tesla Model 3.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,592 Posts
I'd just start with pulling the negative cable.
The only other way to do a module reset easily is via IDS or ForScan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I'd just start with pulling the negative cable.
The only other way to do a module reset easily is via IDS or ForScan.
I just finished the process now. I left the negative unplugged for 45 minutes. But sadly that did not fix the issue either. So I am now running the "official" latest version and will raise the issue with the dealer. I'll let you guys know.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I do have a USB-C adapter and I get the same result using that port.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
That would lead me to an APIM problem or the directory structure of the USB.
Have you created a directory in the root called Music and then dropped your test MP3 in there?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
That would lead me to an APIM problem or the directory structure of the USB.
Have you created a directory in the root called Music and then dropped your test MP3 in there?
Yes I even tried with only a single file. But it all works fine once the USB media is detected. It just takes about 15 seconds to detect and the process times out before that and reverts to playing the radio. But right after that 15 seconds elapses, I can choose the USB media in the "Sources" and it works fine for the rest of the drive.

Here is what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You're getting a timeout or read error when the APIM tries to check the file index for the USB to see if it needs to be updated.
The last time I saw this it was caused by someone re-formating the USB stick on a MAC and changing the block size from the default (up to 8gb drive=4k, 8gb to 16gb=8k, 16gb-32gb=16k, 32gb+ =32k).
Sync only supports FAT32 & exFat but the below sizes are still applicable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
You're getting a timeout or read error when the APIM tries to check the file index for the USB to see if it needs to be updated.
The last time I saw this it was caused by someone re-formating the USB stick on a MAC and changing the block size from the default (up to 8gb drive=4k, 8gb to 16gb=8k, 16gb-32gb=16k, 32gb+ =32k).
Sync only supports FAT32 & exFat but the below sizes are still applicable.
Yeah I did try with a partition of only 64 Mb and a block size of 512 bytes.

Can I put in the root the file that instructs Sync to not index the drive? The same file that is used for Sync updates via USB? (DONTINDX.MSA). Humm nope, the answer to that is that it simply ignores the USB media. :)

Is there a way to play usb music without Gracenote? I usually use the "Explore" option when searching anyway, because things are already setup the way I like in folders.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
There are reports that leaving the drive in there for a while might eventually fix things up. I can't get a dealer appointment before december anyway.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You can't really kill GraceNote, but you can turn off categories.
The file structure in all my vehicles begins with a single directory of Music in the root with sub-directories named by artist and another sub directory structure which contains each album by name.
I can search without any problem (my MP3s have the artist, song, album & genre in the file details).

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I noticed this happening lately on one of my cars. Test car so it has a mangle of software. Just curious, if you use Navigation or Voice Rec, do you have prompts that skip?
There are reports that leaving the drive in there for a while might eventually fix things up. I can't get a dealer appointment before december anyway.
Do you use the Nav / VR at all? If so, have you noticed any prompts skipping? Just a thought to check if there's something bogging it down, perhaps slowing the boot up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I noticed this happening lately on one of my cars. Test car so it has a mangle of software. Just curious, if you use Navigation or Voice Rec, do you have prompts that skip?

Do you use the Nav / VR at all? If so, have you noticed any prompts skipping? Just a thought to check if there's something bogging it down, perhaps slowing the boot up.
I used navigation only once since I took delivery of this vehicle last friday. But I only use visual without sound. That being said, I did notice that after the USB drive is mounted, if I select it to play then music from the USB skips often while playing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Valtor, it's not just you, I have been trying to correct the same problem in my 2021 Escape PHEV.
Nothing seems to help.
I have a Dealer appointment in 2 weeks to have them check this out. But I would be pleasantly surprised if they can do anything about it or even if they take this issue serriously enough to actually make an effort to open a service ticket with Ford. But let's remain optimistic! :)

Apart from this, if the ICE would not turn on when using the Cruise control with a full battery, it would be the perfect vehicle.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Looking at this the other day I think what you're seeing is the delay in the APIM boot sequence.
The ACM (am/fm/XM) powers up at the same time as the APIM and is an external module, the USB device won't be seen until the driver for the USB loads in the APIM OS (hence the reason you get the USB device name showing as detected a few seconds after boot). As a result, the APIM can't select the USB on boot, so it defaults over to the ACM.

It's a bit like plugging an external USB mouse into your PC and then turning it on from a cold boot, you don't get the mouse immediately.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, I am a computer programmer. If I could only get my hands on the source code! ;) I just wish the system would wait longer until the USB device is detected. I don't mind waiting for the music to start.

Maybe once the trial SiriusXM subscription is over it will boot faster and that is why only new owners are having the issue ?

·
Registered
2021 Escape PHEV
15 Posts
Yeah, I am a computer programmer. If I could only get my hands on the source code! ;) I just wish the system would wait longer until the USB device is detected. I don't mind waiting for the music to start.

Maybe once the trial SiriusXM subscription is over it will boot faster and that is why only new owners are having the issue ?
E/E myself, guessing it will probably be addressed in a future software update.
Meanwhile, have to put up with radio for a few minutes each time I drive.
Also shut off adaptive cruise control, that hitting the brakes bit when passing is going to lead to a lot of accidents.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
E/E myself, guessing it will probably be addressed in a future software update.
Meanwhile, have to put up with radio for a few minutes each time I drive.
Yeah I think so too.

Also shut off adaptive cruise control, that hitting the brakes bit when passing is going to lead to a lot of accidents.
Are you saying you are getting Phantom Braking with the Escape PHEV ?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts