2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Thenorm's Build Thread

48K views 107 replies 27 participants last post by  dj_andy_m 
#1 ·
I thought i would keep a running thread of my (wife's) Escape and all the things I do to it.

It is a 2014 Escape SE
FWD, 2.0 EB
200A package. (no options, other than engine)

-bought a flip key off ebay, and eventually programmed it. (it took cycling ignition on/off 8 times in 10 seconds to enter program mode)
-took the cover off the airbox so i can hear the "vroooom, pshhhh" of the intake
-Also got snow tires.

bought Volvo 16" steel wheels off craigslist for $100
tires are 225/65R16 Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c

I havent even driven it in the snow yet.

I sold my "take off" 17" wheels and tires locally. got a decent price.

See less See more
#2 ·
bought a Drawtite hitch from one of the vendors on the forum here.

hitch install was straight forward.

i bought a t-one custom harness with the connectors for the tail light.
I modified the procedure a little bit. I didnt want to run a power wire all the way to the battery so i instead ran the wire throught the passenger side tail light grommet and used a fuse tap in an unused slot fuse 2 in the rear fuse box. I also lengthened two of the wires on the driver side so I could mount the module where i wanted to.

i'm still having issues with the wiring. I think my module is defective and two wires are crossed. I'll be doing some more cutting and troubleshooting with a volt meter.

#3 ·
this post is a teaser.
I bought some plastidip and painted the headlight eyebrows, fender trim and rear emblem.

I dont have pictures of the finished lights in the light, but they turned out awesome.

One of my plans is to turn the fender trim into turn signals. I'm still working on the details, but it might involve a glowing piece of smoked acrylic...

also have ordered some summer wheels. still need to get the tires mounted, but i sat them next to the FE to get a sense of it.

#4 ·

"One of my plans is to turn the fender trim into turn signals. I'm still working on the details, but it might involve a glowing piece of smoked acrylic..."

I love this idea. At the very least I want to paint mine black like yours, I hate all the chrome on our Escapes. Definitely keep us updated on this venture!

#5 ·
fixed my trailer harness last night.
does this look right?

i had to cut and cross the right turn and stop light wires, as obviously inside the module they did not go to the right place. It was some frustrating trouble shooting, but I'm ready to tow now. I enjoy wiring up simple electrics.

#7 ·
got my dash cam installed. Thread Here

bought the Mobius Actioncam wide angle with dash cam kit, about $120

it is quite discreet from the outside.

Here is an example of the video quality of the Mobius. This is from my Ford Focus, but it has the same camera as the Escape.
crash through snow bank ice rally-x - YouTube

#13 ·
put an led bulb in the cargo area.
1x Car White 12 LED 5730 SMD T10 W5W Bulb Wedge Side Light Bulb Lamp A084 | eBay

its a lot whiter, but i cant really tell how much brighter it is.
The picture doesnt really accuratly show it but...
I used a cheap Ebay bulb with no resistor and 68 LEDs.
Its been in their for nine months with no issues what's so ever. It is a least twice as bright if not more than the stock bulb. It illuminates the entire cargo area very well.
Mark

#20 ·
#21 ·
This past weekend, i had to setup course for an auto-x. part of that is to test it for safety.

So, i ran the Escape through its paces.

2.0L, FWD.
in the video i left TC on.

It behaved quite well. through transitions, like the offset gates and the slalom, it was quite nimble. I only really felt the weight and height in the big sweeping corners. Traction control was working hard. you could smell the brakes from the e-diff operation. Also brake torque vectoring (curve control) kicked in when i exceeded my grip through the slalom.

Gearing was an issue, the automatic was not ideal, and there were a few hanging downshifts that slowed me down.

this is the same run from inside and outside.

heres a doubler to play both together
Ford Escape autoX vs. Ford Escape autocross test | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper[/QUOTE]

#27 ·
This past weekend, i had to setup course for an auto-x. part of that is to test it for safety.

So, i ran the Escape through its paces.

2.0L, FWD.
in the video i left TC on.

It behaved quite well. through transitions, like the offset gates and the slalom, it was quite nimble. I only really felt the weight and height in the big sweeping corners. Traction control was working hard. you could smell the brakes from the e-diff operation. Also brake torque vectoring (curve control) kicked in when i exceeded my grip through the slalom.

Gearing was an issue, the automatic was not ideal, and there were a few hanging downshifts that slowed me down.

heres a doubler to play both together
Ford Escape autoX vs. Ford Escape autocross test | YouTube Doubler | Mashup Helper
[/QUOTE]

Wow that looks like fun! The one thing with auto-x is how the hell do you know where you're going?!? I understand after a handful of laps just memorizing it but anytime I see run like that I am so clueless as to how somebody can just go out and drive hard and know where to go. lol

#24 ·
got some new parts in.

installed Torque on my phone.

specifically wanted the transmission temperature.
It wasnt installed in Torque, had to add it as a custom PID.
got a lot of good data from this forum Torque PIDs...Take 2

for anyone who wants the PID

Transmission Temperature
"OBD2 Mode and PID" = 221E1C
"Long Name" = Trans Temp
"Short Name" = Trans T
"Minimum Value" = -40
"Maximum Value" = 260
"Scale Factor" = 1
"Unit Type" = deg
"Equation" = ((signed(A)*256)+B)*9/8+32

or for Celcius (signed(A)*256)+B)/16 and change your min/max values to fit the range you want.

#26 ·
well the wifes got the E right now. but here is a stock ebay photo

search ebay for escape /kuga/ focus or mondeo key trim.

review: hasnt fallen out yet. fills the ugly hole. I havent driven it that much since the install, so i dont know if it stops me from missing the key hole yet. i was hoping for a bit of a funnel effect, so i could blindly insert key. the adhesive is holding up, but it is not rock solid. it moves/flexes if i push on the edge.

#29 ·
Wow that looks like fun! The one thing with auto-x is how the hell do you know where you're going?!? I understand after a handful of laps just memorizing it but anytime I see run like that I am so clueless as to how somebody can just go out and drive hard and know where to go. lol
There are many auto-x chapters all over the place and I highly suggest you join them one of these days. It's inexpensive, fun, and it's usually free for spectators. Plus many of the veteran drivers are usually very nice and won't laugh at you if you make a mistake. They respect you just for giving it a try. Many might even ride with you or give you tips ....that's until you start beating them. :D

There's classes for all sort of cars with all kinds of mods and skill levels that you can be assured that you won't look like an idiot in your class. Give it a try. It's worth it ten times over. :)

#30 ·
Pulled the first trailer behind the escape today. it was right at the max capacity of the vehicle.

I'm well seasoned with trailers so it didn't faze me, and the FE took it like a champ. It was weird not being able to see past the trailer with my mirrors, I would need tow mirrors if I were to do it again. If i had to go any further I would have just borrowed my dad's Silverado.

I only had to go about 5 miles, so I took it real easy

#31 ·
Statement that has nothing to do with anything you just typed: I like your rims. What rims are they?

#32 ·
One of the first things I thought would be cool was turn signals in the fenders. I kind of figured the Kuga _must_ have them. Except Europe seems to have abandoned that look in favor of mirror-mounted signals. Still, it would be awesome to have those things be functional...

#34 ·
went salmon fishing for 2 days with my dad and towed his 17ft. boat. about 2000#. no problems.
Caught a lot of fish. I have 8 sockeye in my freezer now. he has 8, and a 3rd guy that came one day has 4. They arent the biggest fish, only about 4-5lbs, but they are premium quality and fresh. Sockeye is probably the best salmon, you pay a premium to get it in your sushi.

Also, on a weekend away, I was able to hypermile a bit. for a 50 mile stretch of secondary hwy and up and down hills (net zero altitude gain), I was able to acheive 33MPG according to the dash display. this is great as our usual city mileage is aroun 20mpg

#35 ·
also bought a rear hitch mounted recovery hook to complement my front recovery hook. The clevis allows me to attach it easily to looped straps if they don't come with a hook. i like how under the cargo carpet there are all those foam cubbies where you can store these things without making any noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.