2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an Escape, and was looking around this forum for things that I ought to look out for or know before purchasing.

So if I'm not mistaken, the 1.6L EB motor had a coolant issue with an associated recall in 2013, and a redesign of some sort for 2014. So am I safe from that issue if I buy a 14+ car?

What about the 2.0L EB? Anything else to look out for?

One of the Escapes I test drove (a '15 IIRC) had an odd paint issue. When I lifted the hood I felt a tiny crack when I lifted from the front of the hood. It was actually paint cracking and flaking off the front seam of the hood. Is that common? Or did I find something weird, perhaps a bad repair?

·
Registered
200 Posts
The 1.6 and 1.5 engines are all known for the coolant issue. There's really no good years for them. The 2.0 is a strong engine and by far the most fun and bang for your buck without any major engine wide issues. If your looking for the most reliable engine of the bunch, the 2.5 is the way to go, but there's not much in the fun department.

As for the paint, issues pop up here and there but no across the board problems. Just do as you did and look at the individual vehicles as you shop.

The major issue to watch out for on these vehicles besides the 1.6 and 1.5 engines is the transmissions. They are the real weak point of these vehicles. Make sure it feels solid before buying, look at the service history, and I highly recommend having the transmission fluid changed before buying.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got a 2015 SE 1.6L AWD.. bought it used at 26K miles.. have 42K now. No problems on coolant.. I think they fixed it in 2104.. The only concern I have is the trans oil (Mercon LV) is real dirty looking.. I have changed it 3 times now and can't seem to get it to a nice red color, which is hard to check... no dip stick. Ford says that it doesn't need changing til 150K miles , which is insane.. ! But, all in all, a great car so far...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
If you really want to be careful, only get a 2.5l escape (fwd only) or a 2.0 eb escape.

Do you need awd?
The paint chipping off the hood could be a bad repair OR rock chips from driving and then weather/etc allowing the paint around to flake/chip up. If it is flaking like the paint didn't adhere then I may lean toward a bad paint repair....you may be able to tell by looking at different body panels around and seeing if you can see bad paint matching or over spray.

The escape 2.0 fwd/awd has not too many issues imo.
The rear ptu and the transfer case could use an oil change. They are possible to DIY if you are comfortable.
Oil smell in cabin - usually caused (TSB) by a failing/bad PCV vent ~$20-30 bucks, diy
Make sure recalls were done
The handles auto sensing your hand work, meh, most the time when the weather is good
key fob range sucks for remote start (typical)

I can't think of much....my dad and I have owned over 5 escapes total, but he has a 14' and I have a 15'. Besides me doing way more maintenance just because, we haven't had any real issues. OH wait, My passenger side front CV kept leaking. On my 3rd (under warranty). Annoying, sort of common, but easy to find if you remove the lower engine cover and look for oil flung all over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reply One suggestion on the oil smell in the cabin, I had the same problem right after purchasing our 2015 Escape, 1.6L. I checked the oil level on the dip stick and found it over filled.. (states on the dip stick.. "Do Not Overfill".. Changed the oil to Mobil 1 and maintained the proper level and the smell went away..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts