2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Use this thread to discuss things you dislike about the 2020 and newer Escapes. Please only reply if you are an owner of this generation of the Escape.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ordered one back in October (Hybrid AWD Titanium/Premium - Velo Blue/Sandstone), but the dealership insisted the 'Easy Access Cargo Cover' could be added later. Even when I questioned it mentioning a previous vehicle from another brand where it required new trim panels, he insisted "Ford wouldn't design it that way. Every accessory on the build tool is available and can be added at any time."

I think he was just in a hurry and didn't want to update the order sheet, and it turns out.. he was WRONG.

The liftgate has holes for the liftgate clips. Those clips are $6/ea.
The cover itself you can find online for $110.
The only parts left you need to add it are the two cable hook points by the rear side windows, and on mine there are plugs where they go.

The parts guy said "we can't get those separately. You have to order both left and right trim panels with them to get them."

And that is another $500+. ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
NIceGuy,

Where on the liftgate would I find these holes for the clips? The ones I looked at didn't seem to have them, but, I may not have looked closely enough. I will look again when I pick up my SEL in a few days . As for the side trim panels the ones I looked at didn't have plugs, but, did have a round recess where the cable hook points go. I'm thinking you could fabricate those hook points with a 3-D printer and be away to the races.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The roof racks are only rated for 100lbs. Once you figure in the weight of the cradles, that's not even two 14' kayaks! I knew that when I bought it, but, I'm not happy about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Errors is Manual

I'm sure there's more, but, one is the Table on Page 132 that deals with information displays relating to to trailers. The 7th entry (2nd from bottom) indicates that the system will indicate if your trailer battery is not charging properly - According to my local Ford service department this in not true. While I knew that this would not be possible with the factory fitted 4-pin trailer connector I had hoped that there would be a connector hidden somewhere in the trunk that you could tie in to. I have been told that there is no connector or terminal anywhere on the vehicle that provides that capability. I guess I'll be fishing a (fused) lead directly to the battery :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts
The engine noise is very annoying!! Suprised Ford did not use better sound deadening material. Between the streering wheel vibration, the loud humming noise and engine noise we are ready to get rid of this Escape. Never ever had any problems like these with any of our other 4 Escape's. Very pissed off!! and all Ford says is it normal

·
Registered
27 Posts
We bought a new 2020 SEL, the new 8 speed transmission shifts into high at approx. 35-40mph. Then the steering wheel starts to vibrate and a low humming noise can be heard, even above the radio. We took it back to the dealer. They gave us a loaner, another 2020 SE Escape. It does the exact same thing. The Dealer said Ford said this is normal. That the vibration was from the engine. What BS!! Being a Retire Engineer from Ford, I know this is not correct! The transmission needs to be reprogrammed and has nothing to do with the engine. As this is the same 1.5L that was in our 2017 Escape SE. This was done to meet the mileage claims only. But this current setting will cause excessive transmission wear resulting in premature failure. This is not rocket science and needs to addressed ASAP with a TSP update!!
Mine does the same thing! I just couldn't figure out how to describe it. :(

·
Banned
251 Posts
The engine noise is very annoying!! Suprised Ford did not use better sound deadening material. Between the streering wheel vibration, the loud humming noise and engine noise we are ready to get rid of this Escape. Never ever had any problems like these with any of our other 4 Escape's. Very pissed off!! and all Ford says is it normal
these issues are common with the 3 cyl., many reviews have complained about it. It’s disappointing!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am more ticked the salesperson lied to me than anything else. However, I did take a suggestion and 3D Printed clips to install the cover for anyone else who may want to add it later.
I tried to make this work with no drilling holes/modifications. ll you need is some strong bond double-sided trim tape. The two long clips clip onto the rear liftgate trim, and the two round clips need to be taped onto the hole/indentation on the trim panel. Also, when you install the cover, make sure it 'clicks' into the slots. I made them that way so it won't slide around much

If anyone wants to check them out, the OBJ File is here:
2020 Escape Easy Access Cargo Cover Install Kit

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am more ticked the salesperson lied to me than anything else. However, I did take a suggestion and 3D Printed clips to install the cover for anyone else who may want to add it later.
I tried to make this work with no drilling holes/modifications. ll you need is some strong bond double-sided trim tape. The two long clips clip onto the rear liftgate trim, and the two round clips need to be taped onto the hole/indentation on the trim panel. Also, when you install the cover, make sure it 'clicks' into the slots. I made them that way so it won't slide around much

If anyone wants to check them out, the OBJ File is here:
2020 Escape Easy Access Cargo Cover Install Kit
Thanks for that! You really are a Nice Guy! While I figured the clips could be printed, I don't have a 3D printer or even any experience using one. Am I right in thinking that if I make my way to a local makerspace and find someone with a 3D printer I could pass them the files in the zip archive you've posted and they would be able to fabricate the clips for me or are they specific to your printer? Also, when you say that the two long clips clip into the rear tailgate trim does your tailgate have holes for the clips or do they just wedge in (presumeably in line with something on the cover itself)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for that! You really are a Nice Guy! While I figured the clips could be printed, I don't have a 3D printer or even any experience using one. Am I right in thinking that if I make my way to a local makerspace and find someone with a 3D printer I could pass them the files in the zip archive you've posted and they would be able to fabricate the clips for me or are they specific to your printer? Also, when you say that the two long clips clip into the rear tailgate trim does your tailgate have holes for the clips or do they just wedge in (presumeably in line with something on the cover itself)?
The OBJ file is not printer-specific so it should work with any 3D Printer. I made these so they clip in at the edge of the trim panel at the window so it doesn't matter if you have holes or not. Where the rope/cable attaches, I put some VHB (Very High Bond) tape on the back so those stick on without drilling or anything.

This is how they look installed (ignore the white markings - that was a side effect of the filament i used):

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mine does the same thing! I just couldn't figure out how to describe it. :(
I Had one for a day as a service loaner and wrote an impression here: 2020 ESCAPE IMPRESSION: DRAGGIN' THE DRAGON It was an SE 1.5L 3cyl. The booming drone sounds like when someone next to you has their earthquake-like subwoofer turned up. The 8-speed will shift into 8 as low as 50mph/80kmh, and at 60 mph/100kmh the engine is turning only 1500 rpm. The drone lasts up to about 75mph/120kmh and the "Shift" mode is gone in an SE. The only option is "Low" on the rotary shift knob, so you cant't manually hold it in a gear or two lower.
My next vehicle at trade-in time will likely be one of the upcoming Broncos or a next-gen Ranger, but definitely not a Dragon 3cyl anything.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ordered one back in October (Hybrid AWD Titanium/Premium - Velo Blue/Sandstone), but the dealership insisted the 'Easy Access Cargo Cover' could be added later. Even when I questioned it mentioning a previous vehicle from another brand where it required new trim panels, he insisted "Ford wouldn't design it that way. Every accessory on the build tool is available and can be added at any time."

I think he was just in a hurry and didn't want to update the order sheet, and it turns out.. he was WRONG.

The liftgate has holes for the liftgate clips. Those clips are $6/ea.
The cover itself you can find online for $110.
The only parts left you need to add it are the two cable hook points by the rear side windows, and on mine there are plugs where they go.

The parts guy said "we can't get those separately. You have to order both left and right trim panels with them to get them."

And that is another $500+. ?
My dealer has been having a hard time finding the parts, do you happen to have the part numbers still handy for the liftgate clips(or is that one of the items in the 3D printer files?) and the cover itself?

Fortunately I know someone with a 3D printer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My dealer has been having a hard time finding the parts, do you happen to have the part numbers still handy for the liftgate clips(or is that one of the items in the 3D printer files?) and the cover itself?

Fortunately I know someone with a 3D printer.
The 3D Printer file has clips for the lift gate end, and two round cable hooks that need to be attached with VHB Trim tape. This is what is in the OBJ File:

The rear cover clips hook over the liftgate trim against the window as shown in the picture of mine installed.
The way they are made, you can hook them on, then slide them side to side to get the right fit, no adhesive needed.

The only other things you will need are:
1: The VHB Adhesive discs. I used this set from Amazon:
3M VHB Double-Sided Adhesive Discs

2:The cover itself.
The part number I ordered was: LJ6Z-78550A74-AA
I found it on a Ford Discount Parts site for $115 w/Free Shipping since the local dealership wanted almost $200 for it.
Its not a strong cover - its a mesh cloth on a wire frame. Its not meant to hold weight, but works great as a cover/shade for the cargo area.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its not a strong cover - its a mesh cloth on a wire frame. Its not meant to hold weight, but works great as a cover/shade for the cargo area.
Thanks! I have a deal worked out with the salesman to get it at a significant reduction, their parts guy just couldn’t find it. We found it on the “build your own” section of ford.com but it didn’t have a PN there. Then I saw your post and a similar post on another forum saying it needed wholesale changes to two internal trim panels.
I knew it was light mesh from the pictures and video I’ve seen so I didn’t think it would require much “uninstall”. When I saw the indents on my side trim panels, I figured the pins would just stick on. Crazy that Ford doesn’t allow this to be installed later.
I am a student pilot and I just need something to prevent people from seeing my flight bag with my log book and headset in the “trunk”. Right now I’m using a black tarp to visually prevent temptation.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wanted to remind everyone that this is a thread on things you don’t like about the 2020 Escape. If you need to discuss specific items with the Escape, then please do so in the appropriate location of the forum.

·
Registered
70 Posts
2020 SE Sport Hybrid AWD

The cover to the battery compartment below the cargo area does not completely cover the compartment. There are two gaps on the left and right side. Things can fall in.

The right gap is partially blocked by the foam insert that hold the tire pumping device and the fuel tank spout.
The foam insert does not block the gap at all on the left side of the cargo area.
This week my wife could not find a block of cheese we bought at market.
I found it in the battery compartment!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Getting used to it, but the Start/Stop button position bugs me sometimes.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
2020 SE Sport Hybrid AWD

The cover to the battery compartment below the cargo area does not completely cover the compartment. There are two gaps on the left and right side. Things can fall in.

The right gap is partially blocked by the foam insert that hold the tire pumping device and the fuel tank spout.
The foam insert does not block the gap at all on the left side of the cargo area.
This week my wife could not find a block of cheese we bought at market.
I found it in the battery compartment!
At least the battery is accessible unlike the earlier models where Ford in their wisdom put it under the windscreen cowl.

Reactions: RushMan

·
Registered
93 Posts
At least the battery is accessible unlike the earlier models where Ford in their wisdom put it under the windscreen cowl.
Based on him having a hybrid and talking about the cargo area, I think he's talking about the larger battery unrelated to the starting battery. The cargo area is where the 2nd gen escapes had their hybrid batteries so I am assuming they used the same location.

Edit: saw his other post. It looks like instead of a spare tire, Ford put a tiny little starting battery in that location instead. Seems like an odd use of space to me.

Reactions: wiz043
1 - 20 of 131 Posts