2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Based on him having a hybrid and talking about the cargo area, I think he's talking about the larger battery unrelated to the starting battery. The cargo area is where the 2nd gen escapes had their hybrid batteries so I am assuming they used the same location.

Edit: saw his other post. It looks like instead of a spare tire, Ford put a tiny little starting battery in that location instead. Seems like an odd use of space to me.
I am referring to the small 12v starting battery. The hybrid battery is under the (rear) passenger seats.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Awesome! Did the dealer include it free or at extra cost? Does it fit over the battery?
I think the inflation kit is only on the SE Sport Hybrid model. The others all show a mini spare as standard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
LarryM, Two dealers have told me a full size spare won’t fit under the mat.
and two parts people have told me there are no parts listed on their computer screens for either mini spare or full-size. Do you have your window sticker? Is the spare listed on it?
im considering a very long trip in the spring and would like to get some sort of spare tire and wheel for the trip.

My hybrid has a full spare. View attachment 76173

·
Registered
91 Posts
LarryM, Two dealers have told me a full size spare won’t fit under the mat.
and two parts people have told me there are no parts listed on their computer screens for either mini spare or full-size. Do you have your window sticker? Is the spare listed on it?
im considering a very long trip in the spring and would like to get some sort of spare tire and wheel for the trip.
The spare is not listed on the sticker. I guess I misspoke...it’s not a full size spare, but close. I wouldn’t call it a mini spare either. I just measured the wheel rim edge-to-edge at 18” and total diameter of 25”. But there’s a number stamped on the wheel “17X4BX25“ which I guess means 17“ wheel and 25” total tire diameter. 4B probably refers to the width. The 19” wheels on the car measure 27”.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you! That’s a start.
My two dealers are t much help at this point.
Will you tell me your dealer (where you bought the car)? Maybe they know more than my dealers. Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
The spare is not listed on the sticker. I guess I misspoke...it’s not a full size spare, but close. I wouldn’t call it a mini spare either. I just measured the wheel rim edge-to-edge at 18” and total diameter of 25”. But there’s a number stamped on the wheel “17X4BX25“ which I guess means 17“ wheel and 25” total tire diameter. 4B probably refers to the width. The 19” wheels on the car measure 27”.
Doesn't make sense does it? If the total diameter of the spare is 25" and your 19" wheel total diameter is 27" how could it be used as a spare safely?

Maybe I am missing something...😖

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yeah, I knew all that but did not think there would be a difference of as much as 2" in total diameter.

The temporary spare wheel or spacesaver in mine has a total diameter of 25" and the actual wheels are 26" diameter total.
The spacesaver is inflated to 60psi so there would not be a lot of difference in road height in the corner where the problem wheel is replaced in my case.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, I knew all that but did not think there would be a difference of as much as 2" in total diameter.

The temporary spare wheel or spacesaver in mine has a total diameter of 25" and the actual wheels are 26" diameter total.
The spacesaver is inflated to 60psi so there would not be a lot of difference in road height in the corner where the problem wheel is replaced in my case.
Sorry, my measurements were not exacting, but quickly taken in a somewhat dark garage. I can recheck tomorrow if that will help.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sorry, my measurements were not exacting, but quickly taken in a somewhat dark garage. I can recheck tomorrow if that will help.
No...that's fine. Ford must know what they are doing. Best wishes with the new car... :giggle: :giggle:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seats. OK seats for watching a movie, not so much for taking a corner.

Headlights. I bet Ford's engineers understand why blue is bad, but the public buys what the public buys... a case where the modifiers "great" and "unwashed" may conjure images of the time before indoor plumbing, but still apply between the ears. The C-Max headlights never showed a downside, they are sensibly perfect.

No HVB SOC gauge (high-voltage battery state of charge gauge). The dash is missing a fuel gauge; who makes a car without a fuel gauge? EV Assist is on the necessary list, but it's not sufficient without SOC.

And finally, the one I don't like about my specific car...
Block Heater
I need Ford to complete installation of my only factory option, a block heater. Factory left the harness bundled behind the engine and the dealer is clueless how to route it. Initial placement requires the hood be opened, uses about half the harness tie-downs, and has a foot of excess length.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
62 Posts
... starting battery...
... starting battery...
Get it right, gents! In a hybrid, the 12v battery is the "BOOTING BATTERY." It boots the control system which brings up the HVB allowing the ICE/Charger/Torquer (or ICE/MG1/MG2 for you Toyota fans) to perform whatever actions the control system requests. Turning over the ICE is a byproduct of the design.

OK, that has nothing to do with the 2020 Escape, but it's still a pet peeve.
Frank

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I don't like is that the hands free lift gate does not open consistently. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't. Have to use the remote or the handle.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts