2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the factory 19 inch wheels and after a recent road trip, I feel the need to go for 17 inch wheels.
I could feel every little crack and bump on the road and I was thinking with 17" wheels, the tires would be slightly thicker and the ride a bit smoother.
I'd love to hear opinions on this. Also what other 17" would fit the Escape? Thanks.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
My '14 Ti came with optional 19s. Went -1 and bought 18s from a member on here. Wanted a half-inch more sidewall for better ride and a little less of a concern about spring potholes here in the northeast. Less expensive tires, too.

The 19s will go back on to sell the '14 as soon as my wife's BS BL arrives.

Where are you? I have a set of 17s that I'll also be selling. Have snows on them now with good tread remaining. Sport Edition F12. Can post pictures, if you want. You can sell the snows, if you don't wnat them.

I'm in metrowest Boston.

Reactions: NickSP

· Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My '14 Ti came with optional 19s. Went -1 and bought 18s from a member on here. Wanted a half-inch more sidewall for better rise and a little less of a concern about spring potholes here in the northeast. Less expensive tires, too.

The 19s will go back on to sell the '14 as soon as my wife's BS BL arrives.

Where are you? I have a set of 17s that I'll also be selling. Have snows on them now with good tread remaining. Sport Edition F12. Can post pictures, if you want. You can sell the snows, if you don't wnat them.

I'm in metrowest Boston.
I'm in Los Angeles. Quite a drive to Boston :)

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Bummer.

My wife and I also went -1 or -2 for snows on previous vehicles. Getting older and like more sidewall.

Interestingly, the 19s on my '22 Escape have o.k. sidewall compared to what I've had lately. The stock tires are 225/55.

· Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,964 Posts
I currently have the factory 19 inch wheels and after a recent road trip, I feel the need to go for 17 inch wheels.
I could feel every little crack and bump on the road and I was thinking with 17" wheels, the tires would be slightly thicker and the ride a bit smoother.
I'd love to hear opinions on this. Also what other 17" would fit the Escape? Thanks.
I've got both 17" and 19". My main reason for getting the 17" set was with the 19" (fitted with 235/45R19 tyres) it's too easy to damage the wheel's rim if you ever venture on unsealed roads, lightly touch a kerb etc. Both sets are fitted with performance tyres, but not the same model tyres. As you suggest, there is an improvement in the ride quality- but with the handling and steering response also dulled. Keep in mind the recommended tyre pressure is 2 PSI higher for the 17" wheel/ tyre combo than for the 19". That will somewhat negate the potential increase in comfort. Another option is look at a 245/45R19 tyre that will give a slightly higher sidewall which may help a bit with comfort (especially when combined with selecting a more comfort orientated tyre model.)

Also check your tyre pressures aren't too high with the current tyres.

Reactions: NickSP

· Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got both 17" and 19". My main reason for getting the 17" set was with the 19" (fitted with 235/45R19 tyres) it's too easy to damage the wheel's rim if you ever venture on unsealed roads, lightly touch a kerb etc. Both sets are fitted with performance tyres, but not the same model tyres. As you suggest, there is an improvement in the ride quality- but with the handling and steering response also dulled. Keep in mind the recommended tyre pressure is 2 PSI higher for the 17" wheel/ tyre combo than for the 19". That will somewhat negate the potential increase in comfort. Another option is look at a 245/45R19 tyre that will give a slightly higher sidewall which may help a bit with comfort (especially when combined with selecting a more comfort orientated tyre model.)

Also check your tyre pressures aren't too high with the current tyres.
Thanks for your advise. I'll look at the tires you suggested.

· Registered
7 Posts
I did this on our 2016. I bought 4 17" rims from Ebay and had Falken Wildpeak A/T trails installed. Way better ride and much better traction over the tires it came with. Also, a much larger selection of tires available.
here was my post about it

· Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did this on our 2016. I bought 4 17" rims from Ebay and had Falken Wildpeak A/T trails installed. Way better ride and much better traction over the tires it came with. Also, a much larger selection of tires available.
here was my post about it
Thanks. Would you happen to know what other model's 17" wheels would fit my Escape?

· Registered
2022 Escape PHEV
135 Posts
Not for 3G, but I got used 3G 17" OEM wheels from eBay to put on my 2022 Escape PHEV for snow tires. The OEM wheels are 18" on my 4G 2022 Escape. 3G used OEM 17" wheels are very reasonable price. You can often find for about $100 each shipped. If you are lucky, it will come with TPMS sensors and center cap like mine did. Smaller wheels are better on fuel economy and tires are cheaper. And yes, it is more comfortable.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,964 Posts
You may find new wheels off Tirerack (or similar stores) competitively priced. You can also then look at different wheel styles/ colours/ widths/ offsets. My 17" set is 17x8.0" with ET40mm offset, IIRC the stock Ford wheels are 17x7.5" with ET52.5mm offset. The wider wheel and offset I've got should improve stability on corners etc. Plus it looks way better. I'm using the factory size 235/55R17 tyres.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts