Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
" … an official combined economy figure of 235.4mpg and …"

Sign me up! :D

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I like the design of this. Looking forward to seeing it in person. Not sure if I’m a fan of the Sync screen. I’ll reserve my judgement until I can sit in it.
I like the rear. The front is...boring. Prefer the Kuga (as usual) myself. The screen has grown on me. Closer, no longer locked in the "cave" like it is now cutting off the corners, etc. I want the leg room and the PHEV myself.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also want to see the screen in person. To me, it just screams, "Oh crap! We forgot the screen!" :D

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a big selection of tires in that 19-inch size at tirerack, just like when I would buy VWs with weird tire sizes. I wouldn't get it with 19s anyway.

Good selection in the 17- and 18-inch, though.

Sizes are listed on the spec sheet link posted above.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Meh... I'll wait for the Baby Bronco, expected to be built on the same platform. The dash doesn't seem to have the under-lip "knee vents" that the current generation has. Toaster-type infotainment screens are now the norm.
I hope the N.A. Escape won't have the hokey, painted-on floating D-pillars like on GMC Acadia.

·
Registered
225 Posts
So it was unveiled today and the embargo with youtube videos was lifted. It is longer, wider and all new. Love what they did on the rear but I’m on the fence with the front. Not liking it for now but it will grow on me.

I like the interiors, the new gauge cluster but I dislike the rotary shifter. I’ll probably get used to it. I don’t like the wheel choices. Nothing stands out.

So what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,218 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread @AndrewFordMedina - hopefully destined to be the 'home' of discussion on the new '20 Escape :)
_____

Well, I'm glad I'm not in the market for a new Escape.

Maybe there's lots of promise in the new offerings, but my initial response to the styling tweaks both exterior and interior are "meh" at best and the drivetrain changes are significant enough to scare-off any but the most dedicated 'early adopters' IMO.

Give things at least a full year to 'settle-in' and 'prove-up' is my guarded olde-phart reaction.
_____

It'll be interesting to see the detailed '20 Order Guide when it's released, I'll be watching the BlueOval forum and will add it to my google drive with a link in this thread when I get it: '13+ USA Escape Order Guides

In the mean time, the order / production schedule for the 2019>2020 US Escape transition is here: 2020 Escape Production Information (BlueOval Forum) Note that Job 1 production of the 2020 Escape isn't scheduled to begin 'till August 19, 2019.
______

edit to pull this info with links from another thread to his one where it might be useful:

·
Registered
128 Posts
The rear looks nice. I really like the taillights. The front and overall shape reminds me a little to the Porsche macan which I'd a good thing. Still I would love to see a fully electric escape before I decide to upgrade my 2013

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If anything, at least the battery is serviceable by a normal human being. At least from the one under-the-hood I was able to see. I think it was the 1.5.

Leg room is vastly improved IMO, especially the rear with the sliding seats. I'll be curious to bring one home and toss the kids in to see if I can get their car seats, plus me in an actual comfortable driving position, plus their wagon in the back.

That rear pillar makes a nice blind spot. The glass is actually quite small, so from the driver seat I could only see out the rear passenger window and rear window. Granted, they all come with BSM now so it's not as much of a concern. Not a big fan of it though.

Side and rear styling I like, front end is just OK. It's a little better in person, but it strikes me as too simple. The Kuga has a bit more character to it. I thought the same about the last face lift, and that has grown on me so we'll see how this one does.

Like the rotary shifter, same as my Fusion. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but after breaking myself in I don't miss the bulky shifter.

The new screen style is love or hate it seems. I don't mind it relative to the current FE setup. The new clusters are nice.

I'm curious to take the HEV and PHEV for a spin to see what kind of mileage/range I can get out of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Based on the photos, the body is okay. It looks more simple.
The rotary shift is different. I'm sure it'd be quick to get used to like the button ignition, which I got used to pretty quickly from a 2013 Escape to 2016 Escape.
I don't like the screen's placement. It looks like a tablet slipped in the space like they forgot to add it. But perhaps would take getting used to.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,218 Posts
This another interesting info PDF on the media page FYI: Overview Press Release
_____
@UofMEngineer were any vehicles without moonroof displayed? Curious to know if they had the 'all black' roof, hard to tell from the press kit photos, all there seem to have the all-black roof. Others have adopted that 'style trend' .... personally not a favorite of mine in sunny Texas no matter how good the roof thermal insulation.
_____

Interesting to delve into the press kit & specs - seems that the hybrid / electric versions sacrifice a bit as far as interior packaging (loss of sliding rear seat, reduction of cargo area volume and height, etc). Makes me wonder if there's a spare tire of any size in 'em or do they go with the 'fix-a-flat' approach some others have adopted.

I do like the new center display in terms of ergos for touchscreen and higher sight line - but everyone that's raised the screen similarly is still struggling with 'dashboard integration' IMO.

The available Heads-Up Display is neat, I like HUDs, but again the implementation with a pop-up near-screen (as opposed to projection on windshield which is probably a problem given the extreme slope) looks 'gimmicky' and a bit 'tacked-on'. Part of the attraction and reason for HUDs is making the focus distance as far away as possible - gotta wonder if that's compromised in this case.

Lots of details both big and small that likely won't become clear 'till Order Guides and in-showroom inspection are available ..... oughta be no shortage of continued speculation about all of that here on the forum through the long hot summer 'till we can touch 'em in August (at best) >:D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
front looks a little like a mazda 3. i like.
the rear looks like everything else. lame.
glad to see the hybrid back
the spec sheet shows the tires are narrower, 225mm. lame. seriously 225 wide on a 19" wheel. lame.
8 speed auto. neat. I wonder what its been used in so far. double i wonder, is this the GM 9 speed that they didnt like and redid in house as an 8 speed? (Ford traded GM its 10 speed for it)
weight reduction: nice!
looks like the plug in hybrid is only FWD. presumably to fit the batteries where the rear drive train normally would be. would have been neat to have rear electric motors, but assuming this is similar to the last escape hybrid (and toyota prius system), the electric motor is integrated into the planetary gear set of the "transmission". (the language of Electronic Continuous
Variable Transmission suggests it)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
This another interesting info PDF on the media page FYI: Overview Press Release
_____

@UofMEngineer were any vehicles without moonroof displayed? Curious to know if they had the 'all black' roof, hard to tell from the press kit photos, all there seem to have the all-black roof. Others have adopted that 'style trend' .... personally not a favorite of mine in sunny Texas no matter how good the roof thermal insulation.
_____
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Escape-intro-Galhotra-2019.jpeg

So, that's the main 3 they had. There was also one in blue. The black roof I think is linked to the moonroof only. You can see the large glass surrounded with the black accents.

Reactions: centex

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Nope, doesn’t do it for me.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Front design wise, nope..Prefer the more rugged look of my '17'..Stronger steel frame, yep...3cyl. 1.5, nope..Hybrid , maybe..Interior dash ,nope...mine better..Dial shifter, maybe , not sure...looks nice..Fog light position, nope..Rear design , naw...Wheels, maybe,, low profile tires , nope...Eight speed trans, Yes if dip stick equipped......Price, who knows??

·
Registered
481 Posts
The video's commentator said "lower" and more "sporty"...eyes rolling here...
If a "lower" and more "sporty" CUV is what Ford was looking for, then a Mazda'd up Toyota Matrix is what they got.
It looks good if buying a car that looks like a SUV is what someone is looking for.
I'm pretty sure Ford is now expecting it's "more macho" followers to default into one of the new Bronco variants, which I am excited to say look and may very well deliver on what Ford has been lacking for a decade now.
Though I loved the looks of the 14' Escape I got as modern and rounded and good on gas, I was a bit shocked when I realized the current model Escapes only had 6" of clearance under the front (though I was able to fix that problem!).
I for one am not interested in going any lower to the ground.
The way I looked at it, if I wanted a car, I'd buy a car.
With the likes of Broncos, Bronco III's and the new Wranglers and Gladiators out there, there really is some "go anywhere" SUV selection once again.
Non-enormous wheels and bigger AT rubber (with room for even bigger) is where the overall market may once again be heading.
If I could fit 15" wheels on my 14' Escape and put in 31" X 10.5" Mickey Thompson Super Swampers on my Escape, I probably would!!!
I wonder if a new Xterra will ever make a comeback as well.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'd say if Ford is making a CUV as car-like as they can to entice car buyers to buy a CUV, all the while killing cars so consumers have no choice but to buy a CUV, Ford has struck it out of the park! LOL!
It is a nice "car".
I'll take a 2.0 turbo, shifting automatic or manual and a manual 4X4 transfer case with bigger rubber and smaller wheels any day.
The new Escape may look nice, but I see too much "poof" with electronics and toys and not enough cost savings basic luxuries.
If manufacturers keep on mixing SUVs with cars then CUVs with cars, you basically get a car... Just saying.
Ford can't make the new Bronco models quick enough!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts