2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
only 1/2 inch lower

I read that it is only 1//2 inch lower than before, so that would be 7 1/2 inch clearance. that is good enough for me.

Reactions: Vader101

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yeah....I don't get it. I thought one of the reasons when buying an SUV was to use the extra height for a bit of light off road use and for ease of entry and exit etc.
Now the new 2020 model ground clearance doesn't seen any higher than the average sedan??
One of the things that I like about the Escape is the ride height and seat height is "just right."
Those of us with joint problems, whether it is knees, hips, or back appreciate the ease of entry: backside to the seat, sit down and then swing your legs in. With a lower vehicle, you reach a leg in, twisting your back, hips, and knees as you twist sit in. Dare I say it: the current generation Escape is ergonomic. It wasn't a consideration when I bought the car 2 years ago, but now appreciate it after re-injuring a badly fractured knee.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm still on the fence, even after the debut. The front doesn't seem aggressive enough on the North American models, compared to the Kuga's ST-Line. Maybe that will change after seeing it in person.

The hybrid options are intriguing. Life with the 2.0L has me hooked on the notion I still want all that power, but the 2.0L is a bit too thirsty some days.

But based on the spy shots of the MKC/Corsair, I'm leaning towards that over the Escape, strictly due to styling.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
They actually say Just keep the rear camera clear of debris... seriously could they have just done a camera washer..

·
Registered
481 Posts
I read that it is only 1//2 inch lower than before, so that would be 7 1/2 inch clearance. that is good enough for me.

Despite what measurements Ford and others have through out there on current generation Escapes...they most certainly DO NOT have 8" of ground clearance.
When measured on flat pavement, under the front center where the Escape hangs down the lowest, the ground clearance is only 6" (like on my 14' Escape 4X4).
2016 - 2019 Escapes are no different.

That means the new Escape is only 5.5" off the ground.
Years are piling on and I don't know why nobody have formally refuted Ford's clearance claims as they are wrong and this topic keeps coming up because of that.
It's like Ford went "poof", there's 8" of ground clearance...but there is still only 6".

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
What is the road clearance??
this is important to me!!
driving on unpaved forest service roads
going to the mountains and driving in the snow
driving up a steep dirt and rock driveway
I am talking AWD vehicle
my car is a 2013 2 liter AWD

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,364 Posts
What is the road clearance??

this is important to me!!

driving on unpaved forest service roads

going to the mountains and driving in the snow

driving up a steep dirt and rock driveway

I am talking AWD vehicle

my car is a 2013 2 liter AWD

Read post #46 above. It has been discussed

·
Registered
462 Posts
They actually say Just keep the rear camera clear of debris... seriously could they have just done a camera washer..
Ever the cost cutting at Ford, They could put the camera inside the rear glass and within the rear wiper swipe.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The jury's still out for me, but I showed some of the pictures to my wife (our Escape is her daily driver), and the first thing she mentioned was something I hadn't noticed: "They finally wised up and put the fuel fill on the driver's side."
Memo to the Chinese, Aussies, British et al:Now it's your turn to pull up on the wrong side of the pump!>:D

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
347 Posts
The jury's still out for me, but I showed some of the pictures to my wife (our Escape is her daily driver), and the first thing she mentioned was something I hadn't noticed: "They finally wised up and put the fuel fill on the driver's side."
I actually APPRECIATE that the Escape fuel filler is on the (US) passenger side. It often makes it easier to find an empty pump, as it seems that there are any more vehicles with driver's side fillers.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Memo to the Chinese, Aussies, British et al:Now it's your turn to pull up on the wrong side of the pump!>:D
The Aussie Escapes' fuel flap is on the driver's side (RH) but it doesn't really matter because here we can pull up either side of the pump. Isn't that the situation in America?

I realize what you mean and obviously it is a lot easier to fill up on the flap side but if we need to we can stretch the hose around the car to fill up as they are normally retractable.

There does not seem to be any hard and fast rule here in Oz as there are probably an even number of vehicles with the fuel flap on either side.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The Aussie Escapes' fuel flap is on the driver's side (RH) but it doesn't really matter because here we can pull up either side of the pump. Isn't that the situation in America?

I realize what you mean and obviously it is a lot easier to fill up on the flap side but if we need to we can stretch the hose around the car to fill up as they are normally retractable.

There does not seem to be any hard and fast rule here in Oz as there are probably an even number of vehicles with the fuel flap on either side.
@John, here fuel filler doors can be on either side, too, even within the same make, which can add to the congestion at busy service centers, with cars opposing each other. I never pull on the opposite (left) side of the fuel door, as dragging the wet, dirty hose with the frayed return cable over the top or around the back of the car may do some damage; and often the hose is just...not...quite... long enough to reach.

Reactions: RushMan and wiz043

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
@John, here fuel filler doors can be on either side, too, even within the same make, which can add to the congestion at busy service centers, with cars opposing each other. I never pull on the opposite (left) side of the fuel door, as dragging the wet, dirty hose with the frayed return cable over the top or around the back of the car may do some damage; and often the hose is just...not...quite... long enough to reach.

Yeah...I fully understand your point, it's much easier to fill on the fuel flap side even if you have to wait behind a car/cars.

I only go the other side if I really have to in a crowded servo when I really need fuel and cannot access the 'correct' side easily ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
One thing I don't remember seeing...

Looks like Ford has finally gotten rid of those fake front fender vent things... I really disliked those things and now they are gone...I will be in line to get either the 2020 escape or the Explorer depending on which one is more acceptable for what I need at the time... I do hope the 2.0 liter in the Escape is smoother than the 3 cylinder if I go for the Escape...

When I first saw the pics of this vehicle I thought of a smaller version of the FX35 Infiniti...Guess it was the sloping hood and the roofline...Or maybe I was just tired and thinking weird thoughts...

Really ready to see this one in the showrooms soon...

Reactions: RushMan

·
Registered
462 Posts
Things will be different when I'm CEO

Looks like Ford has finally gotten rid of those fake front fender vent things... I really disliked those things and now they are gone...
Memo to vehicle styling:
No more fake trim stickers! If it looks like a thing, it better be a real thing. -All vents, scoops, cooling ducts must serve a real, functional purpose, or don't design them in!
-No more reflectors styled to look like functional lights. This has improved over time, but don't fall back. The Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis are glaring examples. one of the all-time worst was the 2006-'09 Mercury Milan taillight adornment. Phone-it-in styling.
-"Hexagon"and "Trapezoid" are banished styling themes.
-

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wonder what new colors will be available? I really liked the "green gem" color that was available on the F150s and Explorers several years back but not anymore. Looks black but out in the sun it has a green tint and a ton of metallic in it.....not very common. Hopefully they offer some interesting color choices besides just white, black, maroon, silver, grey, etc......everyday typical colors.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts