2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooler weather overnight and finding the TP at 34 this morning, so it was time to pump them up.
After my usual 12 mile morning drive, TP was still just under the specified 36 psi.
I use Torque Pro on a regular basis with OBDLink MX and my cell phone.
I added the PID for the TP's and rename the individual gauges on the screen after every tire rotation. On that same screen, I recently added the ambient Temperature, and take screen shots on my cell phone. That gives me a record of temp and individual Tire Pressures, an indication if I need to pump them up, or if its just temperature variability.
That right front TPMS sensor is always different than the rest, but usually is close to the others when the tires are warm.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
Cooler weather overnight and finding the TP at 34 this morning, so it was time to pump them up.
After my usual 12 mile morning drive, TP was still just under the specified 36 psi.
I added the PID for the TP's and rename the individual gauges on the screen after every tire rotation. On that same screen, I recently added the ambient Temperature, and take screen shots on my cell phone. That gives me a record of temp and individual Tire Pressures, an indication if I need to pump them up, or if its just temperature variability.
That right front TPMS sensor is always different than the rest, but usually is close to the others when the tires are warm.
I recently bought a 2017 Escape 2 litre AWD Trend (aussie) with TPM and I understand that it will indicate when pressures are low and the TPM needs to be reset when tyres are changed or inflated etc.
However the TPM doesn't indicate the actual pressure in each tyre does it, you can only access that by doing what you have accomplished with your cell phone?

Excuse my ignorance as I am still working out what all the bells and whistles do on the Tech. pack in my car, but I haven't yet discovered a tyre pressure indication display.

·
Super Moderator
2,251 Posts
There is another thread on here somewhere discussing how to read the pressure data via the OBD2 port. You can't get it displayed up on the dash (from what everyone has said- I don't have it on mine.)

·
Registered
829 Posts
There is another thread on here somewhere discussing how to read the pressure data via the OBD2 port. You can't get it displayed up on the dash (from what everyone has said- I don't have it on mine.)

Thanks...thought it was too good to be true...:D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently bought a 2017 Escape 2 litre AWD Trend (aussie) with TPM and I understand that it will indicate when pressures are low and the TPM needs to be reset when tyres are changed or inflated etc.
However the TPM doesn't indicate the actual pressure in each tyre does it, you can only access that by doing what you have accomplished with your cell phone?
Excuse my ignorance as I am still working out what all the bells and whistles do on the Tech. pack in my car, but I haven't yet discovered a tyre pressure indication display.
That's correct. The car's display does not show the individual tire pressures, only a warning light illuminates when it detects a low tire pressure in one or more tire. You need an OBDII reader and software for your cellphone or a tablet to do read the individual tire pressures, as I've shown in the screen capture from my cell phone.
As for resetting the TPMS after getting a low indicator on the dash, and pumping up the low tire(s), that is mentioned in the Owners manual:
"When putting air into your tires (such as at a gas station or in your garage), the tire pressure monitoring system may not
respond immediately to the air added to your tires.
It may take up to two minutes of driving over 20 mph (32 km/h) for the light to turn off after you have filled your tires to the recommended inflation pressure."
I recommend downloading the Owners Manual for your car from the Ford web site, if you didn't get get a printed owner's manual with the car. It's also convenient to have the owner's manual on one's computer for browsing and exploring at your leisure.
There are numerous threads and posts mentioning tire pressures. This one mentions that the TPMS light will come on at 25% under inflation, ~ 27psi.

https://www.fordescape.org/forum/1019041-post24.html

·
Super Moderator
2,251 Posts
I recommend downloading the Owners Manual for your car from the Ford web site, if you didn't get get a printed owner's manual with the car. It's also convenient to have the owner's manual on one's computer for browsing and exploring at your leisure.

I don't keep my manuals in the vehicle but do have a PDF of the official manual on my phone- just in case.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have my owners manual in the car and also a downloaded copy on my desktop computer.

The manual states that if you inflate your tyres you need to reset the TPMS to recognize this as I pointed out earlier. Possibly the low pressure light would eventually go off but it is a simple operation to reset it anyway...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
i like that you added the ambient temperature. I'll have to do that. was that a built in PID or custom.

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
I have my owners manual in the car and also a downloaded copy on my desktop computer.

The manual states that if you inflate your tyres you need to reset the TPMS to recognize this as I pointed out earlier. Possibly the low pressure light would eventually go off but it is a simple operation to reset it anyway...
All my manual says is if the TPMS sensor goes off, to inflate the tires to the correct pressure. It can take up to two minutes of driving at 20 km/hr or more for the TPMS light to go off. Maybe this is just an Australia thing. Doesn't make sense to have to reset the sensors when you have to inflate the tires. Can you post a print screen of your manual where it says this?

·
Registered
829 Posts
All my manual says is if the TPMS sensor goes off, to inflate the tires to the correct pressure. It can take up to two minutes of driving at 20 km/hr or more for the TPMS light to go off. Maybe this is just an Australia thing. Doesn't make sense to have to reset the sensors when you have to inflate the tires. Can you post a print screen of your manual where it says this?
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2017_Escape_Kuga_C520_CBS.pdf

Page 225...top right.

Is this the same as your manual? Assumed it would be mainly due to the U S spelling of the word 'tire' as Australian spelling is 'tyre'. Although it has pics of RHD setup??

Also, the manual for your 2014 car may be different
https://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/wp-content/plugins/pdfjs-viewer-shortcode/pdfjs/web/viewer.php?file=https://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/manuals/2014_ford_escape.pdf&download=true&print=true&openfile=false
Maybe this is yours, page 253+ ?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tpms pid

i like that you added the ambient temperature. I'll have to do that. was that a built in PID or custom.
It was in the default list of PIDs, not Ford specific.

·
Registered
725 Posts
It was in the default list of PIDs, not Ford specific.
Thanks for the reminder...Seeing the individual tire pressures was one of the reasons I wanted an OBDLink and purchased Torque Pro. I need to set this up, I forgot about it because I have an iPhone so don't use Android much. Although I do have a spare Android phone that I will use for this purpose, I guess I'll leave it in the vehicle at all times so I don't get lazy and forget to bring it out to the vehicle every few days or so.

It also did not dawn on me that the recorded tire pressures will change locations with tire rotations. I usually have them do it with the oil changes so I guess I'll need to ask them what tire was moved where or just mark my tires beforehand and note it myself.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... the recorded tire pressures will change locations with tire rotations. I usually have them do it with the oil changes so I guess I'll need to ask them what tire was moved where or just mark my tires beforehand and note it myself.
After a tire rotation, and when I get home, I get out the digital gauge, the tire pump, and the OBDLink MX and Torque Pro on my cell.
I leak some air out of a tire, and note which one changed on Torque Pro, and change the label to its new correct ID, using a slightly different label: LeftR or LR instead of just LRear, for example. Then I pump that tire up to the correct pressure using my hand held digital gauge. The TPMS sensors are only updated every 20 or 30 seconds on the OBDII app.

I have found that neither the local tire shops nor the dealer pumps them up consistently. After the new labels are applied in Torque Pro, I drag the Torque Pro gauge locations on screen to the desired locations, as you can see in my earlier post.

·
Registered
725 Posts
After a tire rotation, and when I get home, I get out the digital gauge, the tire pump, and the OBDLink MX and Torque Pro on my cell.
I leak some air out of a tire, and note which one changed on Torque Pro, and change the label to its new correct ID, using a slightly different label: LeftR or LR instead of just LRear, for example. Then I pump that tire up to the correct pressure using my hand held digital gauge. The TPMS sensors are only updated every 20 or 30 seconds on the OBDII app.

I have found that neither the local tire shops nor the dealer pumps them up consistently. After the new labels are applied in Torque Pro, I drag the Torque Pro gauge locations on screen to the desired locations, as you can see in my earlier post.
Thanks for the tip. I really have to start using that OBDLink more (or at all) since I purchased it a few months ago.

·
Registered
122 Posts
All this is kind of crazy to me. I use a tire pressure gauge with a dial scale like you would get at a hardware store. Mine is a 0-60 psi scale. You can easily see to the 1/4 of a pound accuracy. And just check the tires regularly. My motto is don't trust something you can't see. It's an early warning for an emergency, and that's all. Trust your gauge and use only that gauge. It may not be perfect, but it will be consitent.
It was good enough in my racing days, and it still holds true today. I'm a big believer in mechanical gauges. They are usually the most accurate. You can see when something doesn't look right and you may have to change the gauge. And you're not sitting waiting to see if it is done. Mecanical, when the needle stops moving, it's done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
All this is kind of crazy to me. I use a tire pressure gauge with a dial scale like you would get at a hardware store. Mine is a 0-60 psi scale. You can easily see to the 1/4 of a pound accuracy. And just check the tires regularly. My motto is don't trust something you can't see. It's an early warning for an emergency, and that's all. Trust your gauge and use only that gauge. It may not be perfect, but it will be consitent.
It was good enough in my racing days, and it still holds true today. I'm a big believer in mechanical gauges. They are usually the most accurate. You can see when something doesn't look right and you may have to change the gauge. And you're not sitting waiting to see if it is done. Mecanical, when the needle stops moving, it's done.
I agree. I have an Autometer gauge and it has been a great tool. Also have an air compressor at home so don't rely on outside sources for air. Our old HHR gave readings for each tire, the Ford set-up eludes me so I'll ignore it and continue to check tires manually with my gauge on a regular basis.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Old thread but since I bought my car Aug., 2018 I have always inflated the tires to 35/36psi all round which is 2 or 3 psi above the recommended pressure of 33psi.
The tyres have only done 32,000km. (20,000 miles) and I noticed recently that they are wearing slightly more right in the centre so I am going to try dropping the pressure back to 33psi.
Anyone with the same sized tire had this experience or what pressure do you normally inflate to in tyre size 235/50/18?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the same model except they called it a Kuga, same size tyres and I set the pressures at 35. The original tyres are now ready to change at 40,000km, but have worn fairly even, with 2 tyre rotations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts