2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's nearly time to replace tires on my 2109 Titanium. I was wondering is changing the 235-45-19s to 235-50-19, would benefit the ride any. Hopefully the small increase from a 45 to 50 ratio wouldn't have a negative effect on any of the systems. Has anyone have any experience of opinions about this?

Thanks

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,833 Posts
It's nearly time to replace tires on my 2109 Titanium. I was wondering is changing the 235-45-19s to 235-50-19, would benefit the ride any. Hopefully the small increase from a 45 to 50 ratio wouldn't have a negative effect on any of the systems. Has anyone have any experience of opinions about this?

Thanks
Usually you have to go down a rim size if you increase the profile. I think the tire size you mentioned is for the 18” size wheel. Not sure how it would work using it on a 19” rim.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
638 Posts
Has anyone have any experience of opinions about this?
They probably fit; at 3/4" taller, you need half that in fender clearance and 3/8" isn't asking much.

You will see a speedometer error. Based on revs/mile, you'll lose about 2.7% on speed but gain it in distance.

Moving to a taller aspect ratio is going the right way for better ride, but, as @Gryffindor101 noted, you really need a smaller wheel to fit a much taller sidewall to gain a noticeable benefit. A 215/65R16 is the kind of sidewall change you'll notice, and it's closer in size (1.3%) with a higher load rating. That's just an example, not a suggestion. Talk to someone at Tire Rack about wheels if you're gong smaller; that's where I got the tire size data used for these calculations.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

Thanks
probably wont benefit as much as you think.
it'll fit, but speedo will be off a bit. and acceleration will suffer a bit.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,448 Posts
It will affect the brakes a bit too- they'll need to work harder.

What tyres are on it at the moment? Changing the brand/ model tyre may give the improvements you're after e.g. choose something labeled as a Touring tyre. 245/45R19 is a common size to change to, a very small increase in height to the sidewall but it may give you more choices in tyres.

TireRack is a good place to read comparisons- there are customer ratings and they also do their own scientific tests rating various aspects like comfort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
It will affect the brakes a bit too- they'll need to work harder.

What tyres are on it at the moment? Changing the brand/ model tyre may give the improvements you're after e.g. choose something labeled as a Touring tyre. 245/45R19 is a common size to change to, a very small increase in height to the sidewall but it may give you more choices in tyres.

TireRack is a good place to read comparisons- there are customer ratings and they also do their own scientific tests rating various aspects like comfort.
Current tires are the OEM ContiProContact. I'll want a decent all season tire for the snow we get in the winter. Have been looking at Firestone Destination LE3's. I'm open to suggestions an a good riding, quiet all season tire though. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
536 Posts
@Den47 Upsizing tires one size like that (45 to 50 in the middle number) will fit. I've discussed hat in other threads here. It's when you change the first # from P235 and a P245, or when you increase the middle # by 10 instead of 5 when things get iffy with rubbing and fitment. I've noticed a small improvement in ride quality and handling is hardly affected. It will put your speedometer off 2-4 MPH at highway speed though...you get used to it and compensate accordingly! Hypothetically, if you wanted a much more cushy ride, get smaller wheels and put tires that are one size bigger than the overall stock diameter.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,448 Posts
Current tires are the OEM ContiProContact.
I'm not sure what they're like- others may be able to suggest their thoughts after changing to a different tyre. Make sure you're not running higher tyre pressures than what's recommended too.

Here's TireRack's impression of them against other tyres https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=138

All four of the tires in our test delivered the refined road manners we expect from Grand Touring All-Season tires. The Michelin Primacy MXM4 did a good job softening the sharp edge of abrupt impacts, feeling taut but not harsh. The Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring was right behind, feeling almost as refined and controlled as the Primacy MXM4. The Continental ContiProContact and Bridgestone Turanza Serenity followed, both feeling a little less supple than the Primacy MXM4, allowing a bit more of the road's imperfections to be felt by the driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Current tires are the OEM ContiProContact. I'll want a decent all season tire for the snow we get in the winter. Have been looking at Firestone Destination LE3's. I'm open to suggestions an a good riding, quiet all season tire though. Thanks for your reply.
If you're looking for a really good replacement for those Contis, look into the Michelin Cross Climates. I switched to those and love them! I'm a very energetic driver and have noticed no real negatives in handling, but the CrossClimates are much quieter and rolling resistance is almost non-existent. 65K mile warranty and they are 3 Peak rated for snow. They handle the heavy rain a lot better than any previious tire and grip great. Haven't used them in snow yet, but they are a traction tire equivalent to studded winter tires here in Oregon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run the LE3 in the stock 235/45/19 on mine. I love the tire, but anything you put on that huge wheel is going to ride like garbage & wear like butter. I got just over 35k on my Firestones. Good thing they have a 70k mileage warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts