2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Escape came with 19" tires. What is the advantage or disadvantage of having the 19" tires?
Bob

·
Registered
244 Posts
More visually appealing to some. Less sidewall, so in turn you get a stiffer ride. These are also less appealing to others, who hate the stiffer ride due to less side wall.

Its basically a look and feel that some crave. I'm still debating between 18", 19" myself.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have 19s since the car came with them. As mentioned, more responsive handling, though I doubt I can tell in normal use.

Going -2 to 17s for winter wheels and tires. More sidewall is better if you live in an area with potholes. Both my wife and I have snapped sidewalls on potholes in the spring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One disadvantage is they are more expensive to replace. Ours came with the 19's as well. I like the ride.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Many owners go 19" or even 20" simply for the looks - the bigger diameter wheels fill in the wheel wells more proportionately. But as others have said, the ride, handling, and price can all be affected positively or negatively.

·
Registered
860 Posts
19" baby!!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My 2015 Escape came with 19" tires. What is the advantage or disadvantage of having the 19" tires?
Bob
im going to say the only possible advantage is looks.
with teh amount of compliance in the suspension, i doubt there is any noticible improvement in turn in response.

the disadvantages are weight, including rotational inertia (affects accel and braking slightly), price, potholes etc.

but if you like how it looks, go with it. all the other performance metrics are very small. this isn't a race car where every gram or hundreth of a second counts

oddly enough on my race car, i still put really large and heavy wheels on it for the street, just for looks. but when to comes time to race, i swap out to the lightwweigt wheels

·
Registered
144 Posts
I prefer the look of the 19" but the tire options are very limited. That's what made me get 18".

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
19s for looks, 17s for ride (and lower cost), nice that there's the 18s as a blend of both

·
Registered
338 Posts
My late father in-law was an engineer for Goodyear. When I was car shopping I asked him about the difference between 18 and 19 inch. In short he told me if they gave me the option to take 18 over 19.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you feel that there are so few options with the OEM 19 size, go up a bit with a 245/45. Much more choices and you can get cheaper Dunlops, Generals, Contis or if you prefer, pretty decent imports like Kumhos and Sumitomos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Escape Titanium with the 19 inch wheels option. I was wondering if I can put 18 inch steel wheel rims along with 235/15 18 winter tires on this vehicle. I had bought winter tires for my 2013 Escape SEL and traded in the vehicle but kept the winter tires. Anyone out there that can answer me, it would truly be appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts