2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight while driving my car i noticed a small amount of binding in the steering wheel anytime i had to adjsut to stay in my lane on the highway. I could easily push past it and when i did, it was just tight enough that the wheel would not turn back on its own, rather stay in that position till i pushed it back manually. This happened in either direction. annoying but driveable. A few miles later it got tighter and i was having to forcibly push the wheel past that point, and started to notice a clunking sound as i did, A few more miles and the wheel would literally get stuck to the point where I had to manhandle it with both hands and use all of my strength to get it to move, and when it moved, started sounding like a ratchet, lots of binding and clicking. 2 Miles from my house I got a Steering fault error code om my dash, and as i pulled into my driveway, the final message i got displayed steering Failure, Please pull over, or something to that effect. I cant turn the wheel at all with the car stationary, even with the engine running. Mechanically both tie rod ends look fine, the Steering shaft ujoint appears to be fine as well, as best I can tell.

I read codes with my regular ODB2 and had none. I used Forscan with my high speed CANBUS and got a C102D, High Friction inside Power steering.

Any ideas here, am i looking at a total replacement of the EPAS rack and pinion? Any idea of the general labor and cost if thats the route?

has anyone had this before?

·
Super Moderator
2,252 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts