2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Curiosity has the best of me. My 2016 model Sync touchscreen doesn't have the built-in navigation. Would it be possible to just swap out the touchscreen with one from a junkyard that does have navigation? Or would it require more than just a swap like that?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It requires more. The display itself should work fine, but the APIM behind works best to be replaced. You'd also need the GPS antenna. Use the search feature, there are tons of older posts about this.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I tried to do a real quick search since I'm at work and didn't see anything pop up immediately. Much appreciated for the response though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You'll already have the GPS antenna since you have a 2016 and Ford got rid of the GPSM in favor of a single unified antenna in the Escape.

Your "biggest" problem will be that you'll need to restore your AsBuilt configuration using Forscan into the donor navigation unit (you need to make sure it isn't a Sync 2 unit which were in most Ford products until 2017, the Escape was one of the few that got it in 2016) so that the config matches the other functions in your car. After that and a master reset you'll use Forscan to re-enable the Nav in the unit and on your cluster.

The donor does NOT have to come from an 2016+ Escape since you can move your screen to the new unit (some Ford models use a different mount style), you will need to watch where you get the unit from as there are a lot of reformatted non-NAV units out there that have Nav loaded on them (and only half the memory required for nav to operate properly). The newer J through L series units (J=2018, K=2019, L=2020) can be upgraded to Sync 3.4 without any problem and if you have the donor vin you for these you can get the 1.19 maps for free from Ford.

The going rate for a true NAV APIM & screen is about $550 on eBay and there's an entire thread over on 2gfusions about the process to upgrade from Sync2. Some won't apply in this case since you already have Syc3, but the list of models that have NAV and the doc about changing out your USB hub for a newer one (Ford part HC3Z-19A387-E) to get CarPlay and Android Auto still apply.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,150 Posts
Thanks. I tried to do a real quick search since I'm at work and didn't see anything pop up immediately. Much appreciated for the response though.
If you search the forum for “adding navigation “, you should get some good responses. There is a really good thread on adding navigation via software. Should be fairly easily to find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you search the forum for “adding navigation “, you should get some good responses. There is a really good thread on adding navigation via software. Should be fairly easily to find.
I'm assuming this is the thread you were referring to? If so, thanks for the heads up! That would be a lot easier for me to handle than the process jpohlman mentioned.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The thread you link to refers to Sync2 rather than Sync3 which is a different animal entirely.
Your other option would be to update your Sync3 to the most recent available for your car via Ford's website and then to replace the USB module (simple pop out and plug in), that would allow you to use Google Maps and Waze on your 8" screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thread you link to refers to Sync2 rather than Sync3 which is a different animal entirely.
Your other option would be to update your Sync3 to the most recent available for your car via Ford's website and then to replace the USB module (simple pop out and plug in), that would allow you to use Google Maps and Waze on your 8" screen.
Bah humbug. That's unfortunate.

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0 AWD
11 Posts
Hey all,

Curiosity has the best of me. My 2016 model Sync touchscreen doesn't have the built-in navigation. Would it be possible to just swap out the touchscreen with one from a junkyard that does have navigation? Or would it require more than just a swap like that?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have a smart phone? I us the Navigation option from my smart phone linked/synced up to my Sync system. I'm running Sync 3. You may need to upgrade your sync it is easy to do you can download the software from the Ford Owner website and install it yourself. It does take about 10 min to do the full update.

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0 AWD
11 Posts
2016s require a replacement of the USB hub to get get Car Play and Android Auto.
Part number is HC3Z-19A387-E and it's a 15 minute ordeal to pop it out of theconsole and replace it. 2016-2020 Ford Control Module HC3Z-19A387-E | Varsity Ford
Thanks for the update and clarification. My 2017 must have come with that USB hub installed as my Car Play just works from day one when I got my car. He did not state what model or options he had in his car so your information could be very helpful to him Hope hi gives it a try. Much cheaper and faster then trying his ideal of a total replacement of the system from a junk yard. Also he did not say but they are not easy to update the maps in the old system. So your option and a smart phone is the way to go, mines works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts