2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 hybrid sport. I would like to get a hitch for a bike rack as well as small trailers. My concern is that I will lose too much ground clearance for certain dirt roads. Many trailheads in Colorado require no less then what the Escape can give. Does anyone with a hitch know if it is lower then other parts of the vehicle bottom? Is it possible to cut out an opening in the middle of the bumper and have the hitch stick out there rather then below the bumper?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,126 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with your question, but don't forget the change to the departure angle eg. also take into account how far it extends (as well as any ground clearance reduction.)

Reactions: CoreyMcD

·
Registered
9 Posts
The factory receiver is pretty high, the bumper covers go lower than the receiver does. You may be able to get the parts from Ford, but that does require a new inner bumper as the reciever is welded to that and would need the plastic bits that are attached to the outer bumper cover.

Note adding that does not increase your tow capacity beyond what it is rated for when new.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,126 Posts
You'd lose quite a bit of departure angle clearance- see below:

You may find it bottoms out going out steep driveways etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The factory installed hitch appears to mount higher than after-market units.
Update: However, this may be a 2.0L Ecoboost model. I found a link stating that only the 2.0L has the full tow package installed. For Hybrids, the hitch is dealer-installed which may mean below-the-bumper and no Aux oil cooler. Will ask our dealer today.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update for 2020-21 Hybrid: We spent 30 minutes at the dealership trying to determine what a factory-ordered towing package means for a Hybrid (besides the 1500lb weight limit). It appears the Hybrid gets a dealer-installed accessory that probably mounts below the bumper. The dealership could not confirm that the Hybrid bumper and hitch would mount as high as in the 2.0L Ecoboost photos. Time permitting, I'll try to find dealership photos of Hybrids that have a Tow Package on the window sticker.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found this towing spec sheet for 2020 but not 2021. Read the fine print to see where it says the Hybrid "towing package" is only a dealer-installed accessory.
2020 Escape Towing Spec Sheet

Update: Today, I found some time to search for Hybrids with the $495 towing package. Found one dealer with enough photos to confirm the hitch was in fact mounted up into a notch in the bumper. The Hybrid AWD badge was visible in separate photo. We're not confused and annoyed since the day we ordered, the Escape spec sheet made it sound like the Hybrid hitch may not have been that well integrated.

Update: I found this video of a Hybrid Titanium with a tow hitch mounted up inside the bumper. Wish we had seen this earlier in the year when opening.
Hybrid video

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just had an after market Hitch installed by U-Haul on my 2021 titanium hybrid, and the hands free lift gate still works great. Just have to swing my foot slightly to the right of the hitch, and so far so good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your video is for a 2021 Escape where there was a factory hitch option for the hybrid. That did not exist on the 2020 as it was only dealer installed. I would like to add one too but very much would like to have the factory setup so as to not lower my ground clearance or departure angle just in case. Has anyone added the factory part that is available on-line to a 2020? I assume you have to cut or replace the rear bumper with the 'notch' for the hitch. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update for 2020-21 Hybrid: We spent 30 minutes at the dealership trying to determine what a factory-ordered towing package means for a Hybrid (besides the 1500lb weight limit). It appears the Hybrid gets a dealer-installed accessory that probably mounts below the bumper. The dealership could not confirm that the Hybrid bumper and hitch would mount as high as in the 2.0L Ecoboost photos. Time permitting, I'll try to find dealership photos of Hybrids that have a Tow Package on the window sticker.
Did you every figure out what type of 'hitch' the dealer installs? Like the factory or aftermarket?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes and no. It took awhile to find some dealers with 2021 Escape Hybrids with the tow package and actual photos. It does appear the hitch mounts up inside a bumper cutout as with the 2.0 Ecoboost "real" towing package. I'm annoyed my dealer could not get a solid answer for us before we ordered ours - all they could do was parrot the "dealer installed accessory" language. All I can say is let each buyer do their due diligence.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts