2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Escape awd 2.0 liter ecoboost Titanium came without the towing package. If I have the oem Escape hitch and wiring harness installed, does this get me to the 3500 tow rating of the factory tow option? if not are there other things I can do to get there? Any advice will be welcome

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 2014 Escape awd 2.0 liter ecoboost Titanium came without the towing package. If I have the oem Escape hitch and wiring harness installed, does this get me to the 3500 tow rating of the factory tow option? if not are there other things I can do to get there? Any advice will be welcome
Unfortunately no, there's additional software and the AC system is larger in OEM factory hitch. getting hitch installed through the dealer using OEM parts will only get you 2,000 lbs towing capacity.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Unfortunately no, there's additional software and the AC system is larger in OEM factory hitch. getting hitch installed through the dealer using OEM parts will only get you 2,000 lbs towing capacity.
I don't think the AC system is larger. Where did you get this info from?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Both dealer and in my manual. they needed to make it bigger for the trans to stay cool.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
CrushCrush 1033 is right, your tow capacity is only 2,000lbs. with a hitch add after the fact, it's in your owners manual. Also I don't know if the A/C system is larger, but the owners manual says that it takes more R134A to fill it with the tow package. Get
Your owners manual out it's all in their. Look under towing and capacities and you will find answers to all your questions.
Mark

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow, the mis-information in this thread....

You can tow 3500lbs if you have a class II hitch installed and the 2.0l, and only 2000lbs if you have a class I hitch. The only thing the tow package includes is a sway contol and class II hitch, there is no transmission cooler added, it comes standard on the 2.0's. In the manual when they say 2000lbs they are referring to people that put a Class I hitch on, and 3500 for Class II and above.

You shouldn't be answering people's questions with wrong information. I put an aftermarket class III hitch on mine, and haul a 3200 lb boat around with no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
195 Posts

You can tow 3500lbs if you have a class II hitch installed and the 2.0l, and only 2000lbs if you have a class I hitch. The only thing the tow package includes is a sway contol and class II hitch, there is no transmission cooler added, it comes standard on the 2.0's. In the manual when they say 2000lbs they are referring to people that put a Class I hitch on, and 3500 for Class II and above.

You shouldn't be answering people's questions with wrong information. I put an aftermarket class III hitch on mine, and haul a 3200 lb boat around with no problem whatsoever.

Then why would my manual say different? and why would there be more R134A vs one that does not have tow package?... Get YOUR facts right big guy

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
4,882 Posts

Is it a good idea to double-check before responding to a question that's related to safety or other serious matters? Sure. But I think we can safely assume that when members answer questions, they're trying to help, and believe they have the correct info. Ultimately we should do our own research and fact checking, anyway, and not solely rely on posts. Unless Ashley is the one posting. ; )

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

Wow, you are right the mis-information is rampant and you need only look in the mirror to find it.
From the owners manual page 179 it clearly says the only way to get to 3500lbs. is with the factory tow package. It says nothing about class1 or class2. It says under note 2 which is without factory to package 2000lbs. and under note 3 which is with the factory tow package 3500lbs. Just because you're towing a 3200lb. boat with your Escape without the factory tow package doesn't mean you're doing it legally. I'm not saying that it won't tow it, or it won't tow it safely, all I'm saying is according to the Ford Escape owners manual graph on page 179 you are not doing it legally.
Mark

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Well, I looked on my Ford workshop DVD last night and under AC capacity is does say the 2.0 with tow takes 27oz versus 24oz for everything else. But I couldn't find any answer as to why it is 3oz more for just the tow. No diagrams, nothing.

Now, in the transmission section I found lots of diagrams on aux. air-cooled trans versus non aux. air-cooled secifically for the 6F35 transmission. It shows diagrams showing the bipass valve, the lines and the cooling fins location. I will have to look under the hood and see if I have the cooling fins and lines up by the radiator somewhere.

Never found anything in the glove box owners manual (and don't know why it would be in there)as far as the refrigerant capacity.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Well, I looked on my Ford workshop DVD last night and under AC capacity is does say the 2.0 with tow takes 27oz versus 24oz for everything else. But I couldn't find any answer as to why it is 3oz more for just the tow. No diagrams, nothing.

Now, in the transmission section I found lots of diagrams on aux. air-cooled trans versus non aux. air-cooled secifically for the 6F35 transmission. It shows diagrams showing the bipass valve, the lines and the cooling fins location. I will have to look under the hood and see if I have the cooling fins and lines up by the radiator somewhere.

Never found anything in the glove box owners manual (and don't know why it would be in there)as far as the refrigerant capacity.
Apparently not all 2014 manuals are the same. I looked in my manual from my 2014 job2 Escape and it mentions the extera R134A for the tow package under capacities, but in the online manual listed by bjeans on page 267 & 268 it lists A/C capacities, but no mention of the tow package increase.
Mark

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow, what do you think would makes the difference between 2000lbs and 3500lbs, the sway control? Some other magical device that increases that capacity by 1500 lbs?

The Class II trailer Hitch that it refers to when it says class II tow package gives you the 3500lbs, as does any class II hitch installed correctly, nothing else... The only difference between the aftermarket one and the factory one is the cut in the bumper where the factory one goes through... they are still bolted to the frame in the exact same place...

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_escape_oct1.pdf

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wow, what do you think would makes the difference between 2000lbs and 3500lbs, the sway control? Some other magical device that increases that capacity by 1500 lbs?

The Class II trailer Hitch that it refers to when it says class II tow package gives you the 3500lbs, as does any class II hitch installed correctly, nothing else... The only difference between the aftermarket one and the factory one is the cut in the bumper where the factory one goes through... they are still bolted to the frame in the exact same place...

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_escape_oct1.pdf
1500lbs is a big difference when your hauling a trailer especially a boat. Because it is a smaller SUV it has less weight to prevent trailer from swaying. I tow a boat too.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hey bjeans, I just looked and their must be a fourth printing of the owners manual that's not listed on line. The one that came in my Escape (2014 job2) has a listing for the higher capacity A/C system with the tow package, and the third printing you posted does not. Also the first and second printings don't list the A/C capacities at all.
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

It might be that Ford only had the Escape certified to tow that much with the 2.0L motor with their tow package.
All others might be at the lower level to sell the option? Who knows I really can't see why the difference. All I know is if you are towing above the ratings you can be ticketed (not likley), but if you get in a wreck you can be sued (very likely).
Mark

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hey bjeans, I just looked and their must be a fourth printing of the owners manual that's not listed on line. The one that came in my Escape (2014 job2) has a listing for the higher capacity A/C system with the tow package, and the third printing you posted does not. Also the first and second printings don't list the A/C capacities at all.
Thanks
Mark
Interesting. Can you check the date and printing of your paper manual? It should be on the back cover.

For the 2013 the digitized version of the fourth printing has been up for months but the paper manual still isn't available through the company that sells it for Ford (Helm), though I finally got one through Ford Customer Service. It's much heftier than the first edition that came with the Escape.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Thanks
Mark
That would explain why I couldn't find it. I was looking in the 3rd printing for my 2013. Geez, how many printings are there?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
That would explain why I couldn't find it. I was looking in the 3rd printing for my 2013. Geez, how many printings are there?
The link I provided about seven posts up contains links to all four of the 2013 printings.

I have one of the earlier 2013 paper versions and the fourth one, and the fourth is much thicker than the first.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts