2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towed a 6x12 single axle enclosed trailer with 6' ceiling, with a motorcycle in it... Guessing total weight was about 2000-2200lbs. Overall I thought the Escape (2.0 4WD) did pretty well.

However, I had almost constant 'warnings' from the dash/trip computer screen. It stated something to the extent of "BLIS system won't work, trailer attached". Ok, thanks for letting me know. Problem is it was continuously popping up, would stop for awhile when was up to speed, but would start back up occasionally or whenever slowed down / come to a stop / start. I went into drivers options and turned off (unchecked) everything except traction control, and also turned off the "P" switch under the hvac controls. Thank god I didn't have to drive farther than the 35 minutes, it was driving me crazy.... why could I not turn it off????

·
Registered
417 Posts
Probably because it's a safety device and without a spot mirror, the engineers at Ford felt it was necessary to assist some people in avoiding a collision.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seems typical - same issue with a 4x8 and an old Honda. The display controls all off. I didn't try the parking OFF feature - didn't think it applied logically. I don't tow often so no opportunity to play with this and find a solution - hopefully, someone will chime in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, to me it is absolutely asinine to have warning chimes and messages going off the whole time you tow a trailer with a vehicle that is equipped with a tow package from the factory....something just doesn't seem right here

Why put programming in showing you can turn something on and off, but not actually let it do it LOL. When we get some snow, will try turning on and off the traction control, see if it is a totally worthless waste of menu too

·
Registered
417 Posts
Could this be why you see the alert?

Switching the Systems Off and On
One or both systems can be switched off temporarily by using the information display control. See General Information (page 84). When the BLIS is switched off, you will not receive alerts and a telltale illuminates in the information display. The system switches back on whenever the ignition is switched on.
One or both systems can also be switched off permanently at your authorized dealer. Once switched off, switching it back on must also be done at your authorized dealer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, car was running whole time. I did see that once shut off and restared, thesystems would reset to on. But I started to pull away with the trailer, chimes and warnings came up, I switched systems to off, never turned off the car, and the warnings never stopped coming...

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Towed a 6x12 single axle enclosed trailer with 6' ceiling, with a motorcycle in it... Guessing total weight was about 2000-2200lbs. Overall I thought the Escape (2.0 4WD) did pretty well.

However, I had almost constant 'warnings' from the dash/trip computer screen. It stated something to the extent of "BLIS system won't work, trailer attached". Ok, thanks for letting me know. Problem is it was continuously popping up, would stop for awhile when was up to speed, but would start back up occasionally or whenever slowed down / come to a stop / start. I went into drivers options and turned off (unchecked) everything except traction control, and also turned off the "P" switch under the hvac controls. Thank god I didn't have to drive farther than the 35 minutes, it was driving me crazy.... why could I not turn it off????
This article should help, explain the BLIS and why it goes off.

http://corporate.ford.com/doc/BLIS.pdf

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think some of you are missing the point. My experience with how this system worked basically renderings the tow package useless, because I can't stand all the chiming and pop up warnings in the cluster display. I could understand one or two warnings, but then guess what.... I know the dang trailer is there already give it a rest LOL. I couldn't look at any other info half the time due to the warning displaying randomly / all the time (except when just cruising down the road, it would take a break). To me the way it acted is totally a malfunction.

as far as the "P" switch under the HVAC controls. it will turn off the sensor system. I have pulled up close to an object both in the front and side, listening to the chime, and turned the system off, the warning chimes stopped. I wish I still had access to the trailer to experiment some more, or maybe a smaller trailer that didn't have the mass of the enclosed trailer i pulled.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to post this followup in case someone comes looking at thread with same problem.

In my case, it appears the problem was the LED trailer lights. I bought basic "old fashioned" lights and the message comes up once or twice when you first start the car, but after that remains silent.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
So, l have asked before and no one seemed to know, so I will ask again.
I have a 2014 job2 Escape with the factory tow package, will I have a problem with a trailer that has LED lights? I don't have one to try right now, but might in the future. If I do and the dealer installs the LED wiring fix, will lose sway control or any other options? I thought that Ford had fixed this on the 2014s, but others here Swy no.
Thanks for any help
Mark

·
Registered
267 Posts
So, l have asked before and no one seemed to know, so I will ask again.
I have a 2014 job2 Escape with the factory tow package, will I have a problem with a trailer that has LED lights? I don't have one to try right now, but might in the future. If I do and the dealer installs the LED wiring fix, will lose sway control or any other options? I thought that Ford had fixed this on the 2014s, but others here Swy no.
Thanks for any help
Mark
According TSB-13-1-5, this problem only occurs on some 2013 Escape. You have the 2014, so, you should be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two trailers: A boat trailer with standard bulb lights and a utility trailer with led lights.
Using a 2014 Titanium with tow package for towing.
The lights work fine with the boat trailer.
The lights do not work properly with the LED lights on the utility trailer. The turn signals fire rapidly and the dash computer chimes and signals the bulbs are burnt out on the trailer. Upon checking the trailer, the turn signals flash rapidly as do those on the car. My plan is to have the dealer check the problem at the first service interval.
As a side note, the tow package states 3,500 lb. capacity. The electrical connections with the tow package aren't set up for this. The owners manual clearly states that trailer brakes are required for loads between 1,500 lbs and 3,500 lbs. In order to operate trailer brakes, a 7 pin electrical connection is required. The tow package provides a four pin electrical connection which limits the capacity to 1,500 lbs without brakes.
I believe Ford is somewhat off the mark with the LED lights and certainly with the tow package capacities.
I had a 2012 VW Tiguan with tow package with 2,200 lb capacity with trailer brakes; and 1,750 lbs without brakes. It came with a seven pin connector. A $5 converter plug readily handled my 4-pin LED and Standard lighting needs. VW got the towing right for stated capacity and lighting performance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have two trailers: A boat trailer with standard bulb lights and a utility trailer with led lights.
Using a 2014 Titanium with tow package for towing.
The lights work fine with the boat trailer.
The lights do not work properly with the LED lights on the utility trailer. The turn signals fire rapidly and the dash computer chimes and signals the bulbs are burnt out on the trailer. Upon checking the trailer, the turn signals flash rapidly as do those on the car. My plan is to have the dealer check the problem at the first service interval.
As a side note, the tow package states 3,500 lb. capacity. The electrical connections with the tow package aren't set up for this. The owners manual clearly states that trailer brakes are required for loads between 1,500 lbs and 3,500 lbs. In order to operate trailer brakes, a 7 pin electrical connection is required. The tow package provides a four pin electrical connection which limits the capacity to 1,500 lbs without brakes.
I believe Ford is somewhat off the mark with the LED lights and certainly with the tow package capacities.
I had a 2012 VW Tiguan with tow package with 2,200 lb capacity with trailer brakes; and 1,750 lbs without brakes. It came with a seven pin connector. A $5 converter plug readily handled my 4-pin LED and Standard lighting needs. VW got the towing right for stated capacity and lighting performance.
My thoughts as well. We are looking for a little camper, and my 17 only has the 4 prong plug, not the traditional 7 needed for anything over 1500lbs...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts