2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,835 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Which EcoBoost engine have you got?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,835 Posts
Hopefully it is the 2.0l - perhaps compare pictures off the internet of the engine bay for both. The 1.6l is a bit of a problem child (multiple recalls for cooling system problems etc.), personally I wouldn't be towing much with that engine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Without factory towing package I believe you are limited to 2000 pounds and 20 sq. feet of trailer frontal area. With factory towing the max is 3500 pounds and 30 sq. feet of frontal area. Trailer brakes and an add on controller would be a must towing near 3500. We have towed with our 2017 with factory tow- 3,000 lbs UHauls with surge brakes and it works on flat ground. Wouldn't be too good in the hills.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without factory towing package I believe you are limited to 2000 pounds and 20 sq. feet of trailer frontal area. With factory towing the max is 3500 pounds and 30 sq. feet of frontal area. Trailer brakes and an add on controller would be a must towing near 3500. We have towed with our 2017 with factory tow- 3,000 lbs UHauls with surge brakes and it works on flat ground. Wouldn't be too good in the hills.
In do have the factoring package. Will the dealer tell me the whole story???meaning what I can and can't tow. or a Trailer seller. I just don't know who to trust to help me. I would love to practice driving ie pull a trailer to feel it but now sure if that's allowed.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Below is a link to a good article that gets into what you can reasonably tow with your 2015 Escape.

Assuming you have the 2.0 liter Ecoboost with the factory towing package, that shows a maximum towing capacity of 3500 pounds.

I've been towing with vehicles for around 50 years now and the old rule of thumb (old but still holds up) is to not tow more than 75% of the max towing capacity of your vehicle.

So lets take 3500 pounds max towing capacity. 75% of that is around 2600 pounds. That is what I would use as a benchmark of what weight not to exceed for regular towing.

That being said, with towing you put some excess strain on your transmission, which means "HEAT", which is hard on a transmission. And the 6F35 transmission in your Escape is not over-designed with more premature failures than we would all like to see. Which would mean to me that if you are towing regularly, you would absolutely want to put your transmission on a frequent fluid change interval. I use 30,000 miles as a change interval for a non-towing Escape. I'd certainly change it more frequently than that if I was regularly towing something.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us updated on what you decide to do!

·
Registered
29 Posts
What kind of camper trailer are you thinking of towing? I'd say you will have to limit yourself to something like a 'teardrop' or 'pod' type of camper...

If you are thinking of any kind of hard sided trailer you can stand up in, then forget it...

You might also get away with a smallish tent trailer, but even with a 'tow package' on your rig, I would not go anything over #2000 loaded weight..

Forget what RV dealers tell you about your "tow rating" and then tell you "this trailer only weighs xxx". What they tell you is the DRY weight of it and not after you put in a few things, plus what you plan to haul in the vehicle itself.. The tongue weight of the trailer, plus passengers, plus anything else you load into it will all add more weight.

With my Escape, (2014 2.0 Eco, no tow package) I would not want to tow even my little 4x8 utility trailer even if I a trailer hitch on it...

Trans would be my biggest concern on these things... I've been changing the fluid on mine since I bought it with 44k miles on it and it's now around 47k and 3 drain and fills later, it's still pretty dark fluid (but does NOT smell burnt.)

I would try renting a small U-Haul trailer and load up some stuff in it and tow it around with your Escape to get an idea of how it does.. If you've never towed anything before, jumping right in with a full on TT that you've just spent a lot of $$ on is not how I'd like to learn how it tows... :)

Your own driving ability has a lot to do with it too... Not just what the "tow rating" is... It's a different beast when there is something hanging off the tail of any rig compared to when there isn't.

Good luck! Here is what I tow and what I tow it with. :)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Forget what RV dealers tell you about your "tow rating" and then tell you "this trailer only weighs xxx". What they tell you is the DRY weight of it and not after you put in a few things, plus what you plan to haul in the vehicle itself.. The tongue weight of the trailer, plus passengers, plus anything else you load into it will all add more weight.
this is very important. you might put 4people and their luggage in your escape, which would severely limit how much tongue weight you could have which in turn would limit the trailer weight you could pull. tongue weight is usually 10-15% of total trailer weight.

assuming you have the factory tow package.

take your gross vehicle weight (~4800), subtract the curb weight (~3600), subtract the weight of people and luggage. whats left is maximum tongue weight (trailer hitch max is ~350 lbs), multiply by 10 is max trailer weight for that load (max 3500). keep in mind the wet weight vs dry wieght of the trailers, but realistically aim for <3000lbs

also consider gross combined vehicle weight GCWR (~7600), so curb weight + people/luggage + trailer must be below 7600 lbs

also you probably want a trailer with electric brakes and would need to install a brake controller.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have a 17 2.0 that we tow a 1400 lbs pop up camper that has one slide out. It’s pretty small, and has almost no frontage. We also tow a 10x5 enclosed trailer with a gvwr of 2900 lbs. Both trailers are well below the 3500 benchmark where you are required to have trailer brakes. Our escape tows those trailers well, and at 80,000 miles she’s had 3 drain & fills already. Keep in mind that most of not all of that towing is highway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have seen no transmission cooler on my Escape, I've owned 3 of them, a 2014, 2016 and now a 2019.
2 of the 3 had the optional tow package installed.
Interesting, a quick search came up with this

"The optional towing package is only available for the Escape 2.0-liter EcoBoost AWD models. It has a four-pin wiring hardener, factory-installed trailer hitch receiver, Trailer Sway Control, and an auxiliary transmission oil cooler.Apr 21, 2021 "

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting, a quick search came up with this

"The optional towing package is only available for the Escape 2.0-liter EcoBoost AWD models. It has a four-pin wiring hardener, factory-installed trailer hitch receiver, Trailer Sway Control, and an auxiliary transmission oil cooler.Apr 21, 2021 "
After a bit of research on my part, I have found that there is an oil cooler on my current Escape, one that mounts to the top of the transmission, and is a coolant/fluid cooler, that uses engine anti freeze to cool the trans fluid.
My current Escape came without the optional tow package. The car does have this cooler.
So this begs the question, is there an additional cooler on the tow package cars?
I haven't found an answer to this question, be very glad to hear from others who might know more than I do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I looked into this for my 14 at a Ford dealer. There is an external 'air to fluid' trans cooler available. These are just like the old school trans coolers where they go in front of the rad and is plumbed into the whole trans fluid route.

The fluid still goes thru the trans thermostat first (set to around 210* as far as I can tell??) then it goes to the coolant/fluid cooler next, then it would go to the external one in front of the rad and then back to the trans.

It was going to cost some $200 for just the cooler then another $200 or something for the lines..

I looked into it myself, but have decided since I ain't gonna be towing anything with this vehicle anyway, no need to spend that kind of money if it's going to get to 210* before it does anything anyway... :)

Mitch

·
Registered
4 Posts
I looked into this for my 14 at a Ford dealer. There is an external 'air to fluid' trans cooler available. These are just like the old school trans coolers where they go in front of the rad and is plumbed into the whole trans fluid route.

The fluid still goes thru the trans thermostat first (set to around 210* as far as I can tell??) then it goes to the coolant/fluid cooler next, then it would go to the external one in front of the rad and then back to the trans.

It was going to cost some $200 for just the cooler then another $200 or something for the lines..

I looked into it myself, but have decided since I ain't gonna be towing anything with this vehicle anyway, no need to spend that kind of money if it's going to get to 210* before it does anything anyway... :)

Mitch
Thanks Mitch, it's weird, I asked my local Ford service and parts guys about this, they scrolled through their diagrams of the transmission fluid cooling, and could find no reference to this cooler, I did stipulate it's stated to be included in the tow package vehicles, and still, they could find no parts diagram for it. But I guess it does exist, however your dealer is more adept at his job than mine.
Mystery.

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2015 2.0 eco towed a fully-loaded uhaul closed trailer from San Fran to North Carolina (yes, I'm an emigrant!) with the seats down and packed with luggage and our cat. 4-1/2 days, 75 - 80 mph up hill and down dale with no problems at all. I installed an aftermarket class 3 hitch in my garage, wired and mounted the trailer plug and set off early one morning 🎶.

Averaged 20mpg over 10 tanks of gas. Once we left sunny California, gas mileage improved from ~18 to ~22 mpg.

Go get a trailer for a couple of days, load it and drive. This car will do what you ask and more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts