2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer with a 2013+ escape? Thinking of towing one with my 2017 Escape 2.0L with factory tow package. Curious what fuel mileage to expect and how comfortable others have felt towing a trailer like this. The trailer would be about 2000 lbs total weight when towing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer with a 2013+ escape? Thinking of towing one with my 2017 Escape 2.0L with factory tow package. Curious what fuel mileage to expect and how comfortable others have felt towing a trailer like this. The trailer would be about 2000 lbs total weight when towing.
Towed a 6x10 2000 pound from Seattle to Minnesota with 2016 2.0 AWD (factory tow package), no problems even through mountains. I think the thing to watch for is does the trailer have brakes?? Our rental did not, so use caution on downhill in snowy conditions. Fuel mileage dropped into the 14-16 MPG range. Also if you can get trailer that matches height of Escape vs the taller ones, I would think that helps MPG.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Towed a 6x10 2000 pound from Seattle to Minnesota with 2016 2.0 AWD (factory tow package), no problems even through mountains. I think the thing to watch for is does the trailer have brakes?? Our rental did not, so use caution on downhill in snowy conditions. Fuel mileage dropped into the 14-16 MPG range. Also if you can get trailer that matches height of Escape vs the taller ones, I would think that helps MPG.
Factory tow package doesn't include brake controler and comes with only 4 pin connector so having trailer brakes will be of no use anyway. I have towed 2000lb loads with my FE multiple times and had no problems towing. My advice to you is to watch your hitch tongue weight. Too little hitch weight and you would end up having stability issues, too much and you can overload your rear suspension. The maximum hitch weight for our escapes is 350lb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Factory tow package doesn't include brake controler and comes with only 4 pin connector so having trailer brakes will be of no use anyway. I have towed 2000lb loads with my FE multiple times and had no problems towing. My advice to you is to watch your hitch tongue weight. Too little hitch weight and you would end up having stability issues, too much and you can overload your rear suspension. The maximum hitch weight for our escapes is 350lb.
Lots of trailers have surge breaks and those would work fine with 4 pin connector.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've owned a whole bunch of trailers...big boats, little boats, travel, flatbed, box, and have never seen a trailer of that small size with surge or electric brakes. Not saying they don't exist but that would be a real oddity for that weight class. That said, I've pulled my 17' aluminum bass boat with a single axle trailer behind my 2018 SE a number of times with no issue with pulling nor stopping. I'm just under max GCWR. What I did is what I would strongly suggest what you should do and that is go into the owners manual under towing capacities and do the math. I started by taking my boat/vehicle to the local truck scales while fully loaded as it would be when I would be hauling it on a trip. Account for your payload IN the car, too. Make absolutely sure you are well within the constraints of the vehicle's GCWR standards and in the short term, you'll have little to worry about. In my opinion, in the long term, towing anything with these new generation Escapes is sketchy at best. These motors ALL suck at longevity, the same as most of these types of cars. Turbo this, turbo that, these motors will burn up prematurely if towing is any sort of regular thing. You'll be into the turbo constantly while towing, not to mention the crappy transmissions these are sporting. Occasional tow well within limits, probably no issue. Regular towing....short engine/trans life and begging for repairs costing more than the car is worth.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most states require brakes on any trailer exceeding 1,000 pounds.
At any rate, it's a very bad idea to not have trailer brakes. If you get in an accident it will likely be ruled your fault, even if the other driver did something stupid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Escape SE turbo 2.0L with factory towing.
I have been able to tow my 18 foot 2000 pound boat dual axle no brakes trailer up and down the hills, 150 miles each way to the beach no problem at all. I get 10-12 MPG. I rarely tow the boat and it is for sale.

I tow my family camper which is a single axle with brakes and comes in at 3000 pounds. I contacted eTrailer.com to buy and personally install the 7 pin connector and a brake controller to allow me to have brake control for the camper. Works great! Mileage is in the 10-12 MPG but I only use this for vacations so I don't care about the fuel cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts