2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been trying to find a tutorial on how to replace the fluid on the whole transmission parts for the AWD Escape and have been unsuccessful. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Basically Transfer Case, Transmission, and both differentials. From mixed posts, I have the idea that the rear differential is integrated into the transfer case and that the front is into the transmission. Is this correct?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Have you crawled under your vehicle? Good luck with the rear diff. You will know what I'm taking about when you crawl under and take a look at the drain plug and fill plug. As far as the transmission, I can do that blind-folded at this point. But be warned, there is a specific procedure for doing the tranny. And as far as the AWD, you must be referring to the PTU, otherwise known as the power transfer unit.

It would be nice if you posted your vehicle info in your signature, similar to mine below. That way we know your vehicle specs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not crawled under it yet, however I've done rear diff refills on my old car (a 370z). I remember I had to use a syringe type of device.

So I was wrong assuming that the PTU and rear diff come as one unit and the Tranny and front diff come as another? For some reason that is what I thought, but looking at the fluid specs it seems like the PTU is it's own unit as well as the rear diff. Don't know about the tranny and front diff.

I've a 2013 Escape SEL AWD.

I'll update my signature.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Just a rear diff, a transmission and a power transfer unit right next to the tranny.

I was just playing with you. The rear diff has no drain plug. And the rear sub-frame is almost right up against the fill plug. Here in this picture you can see that the gap between the fill plug and the sub-frame is barely enough to get an allen wrench in there. You my have to cut the allen wrench down a little. Let alone getting your tube in there to suck out the old fluid. Really poor design. I guess its another "throw away" unit that never needs servicing. Remember, life of the vehicle = warranty + 1 day.

The PTU looks doable, and its on my target list.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Thanks for the picture, it is very clear now. So I'm guessing no one is servicing these items?
Haven't seen anything posted yet. maybe you and I will be the first! I'm going to give it a shot, but it is pretty far down on my list.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Took me awhile to figure out that was a mirror. When I did, I wondered why the red circle didn't have a reflection...

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Took me awhile to figure out that was a mirror. When I did, I wondered why the red circle didn't have a reflection...
Ah! Sorry about that. I should of mentioned that the only way your going to get an eyeball on the plug is with a mirror. Thats how close the sub-frame is! I was using a mirror to confirm the tool needed. Looks like a hex head to me, not the square 3/8 or the torx that seems to be used throughout this vehicle.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
almost need to buy one at harbor freight and cut to fit.
Tell me about it. :). Have you ever tried to cut tool steel? It's no fun. More than likely I will use a zip wheel on my "donor" allen wrench.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
so I guess no tutorial on the rear diff....
The Workshop Manual simply shows:

Material: Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant / XY-80W90-QL (WSP-M2C197-A)

Fill Level: level with fill-hole to no more than 5mm below fill-hole (vehicle level of course, so ya gotta raise both ends the same to get under it ;-)

Plug Torque: stage 1 20 Nm; stage 2 180 degrees (I'm reading that as 20 Nm + 1/2 turn)

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
The Workshop Manual simply shows:

Material: Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant / XY-80W90-QL (WSP-M2C197-A)

Fill Level: level with fill-hole to no more than 5mm below fill-hole (vehicle level of course, so ya gotta raise both ends the same to get under it ;-)

Plug Torque: stage 1 20 Nm; stage 2 180 degrees (I'm reading that as 20 Nm + 1/2 turn)
I had to look this up to confirm. I strange spec for a fill plug. Usually a staged torque spec is reserved for engine assembly or when there is a crush washer involved. Or something special like that. Makes me wonder is there is a non-serviceable gasket/washer involved.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I had to look this up to confirm. I strange spec for a fill plug. Usually a staged torque spec is reserved for engine assembly or when there is a crush washer involved. Or something special like that. Makes me wonder is there is a non-serviceable gasket/washer involved.
From looking at the cross-section in the Workshop Manual I believe you'll find the plug is a 'flush-type' with no shoulder or gasket/washer surface. It may even be NPT tapered threads.

I've not looked myself, the info I posted is just a verbatim 'clip' from the Workshop Manual, FWIW.

·
Registered
116 Posts
so on the rear diff, are there 2 holes, one up top and a level plug hole? or just the one hole up top?

if there' s alevel hole, can you use that to blow the crap out, or suction it out from there and just avoid using the top hole completely?

·
Registered
770 Posts
You can't drain the RDU "rear drive unit" RDU does not have a drain plug
the PTU "power transfer unit" is easy
it is mounted on the passenger side of the transmission
there is a drain plug and a fill plug

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can't drain the RDU "rear drive unit" RDU does not have a drain plug
the PTU "power transfer unit" is easy
it is mounted on the passenger side of the transmission
there is a drain plug and a fill plug
that's not quite my question :)

on the rear unit I know there's no drain plug, but does it have a 'level' plug on the side? I would think you could use that to suck/blow out the old stuff or worst case use new to push out the old stuff.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Has anyone confirmed the HEX / Allen size to remove the rear drain/fill plug on the rear DIFF ?

Thanks in advance...
It’s best to confirm on your vehicle. I have found that they change the plugs from year to year.

I ordered a spare from Ford and what arrived was different than what was in my vehicle.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts