2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a rear diff, a transmission and a power transfer unit right next to the tranny.

I was just playing with you. The rear diff has no drain plug. And the rear sub-frame is almost right up against the fill plug. Here in this picture you can see that the gap between the fill plug and the sub-frame is barely enough to get an allen wrench in there. You my have to cut the allen wrench down a little. Let alone getting your tube in there to suck out the old fluid. Really poor design. I guess its another "throw away" unit that never needs servicing. Remember, life of the vehicle = warranty + 1 day.

The PTU looks doable, and its on my target list.

Yes, the rear differential fill plug location is a bad design. The manual says to check the fluid after 90k, so I lifted the car and wanted to do the job. But I gave up after I saw it’s hidden behind the frame with a small clearance .... Can you share the wrench size, I plan to try your method.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I finally got around to start the rear-differential drain and fill. I have the NEW :
Part#: W700251
Usages: 3/8", 04/09/2012, Escape, 4WD

The factory OEM fill plug is an ALLEN style but I can't get my ALLENs into the space to see what is the right size. I know I have to CUT on but want to know the size I need before cutting. New plug is 3/8 square. I searched but can't find reference to the ALLEN size.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I finally got around to start the rear-differential drain and fill. I have the NEW :
Part#: W700251
Usages: 3/8", 04/09/2012, Escape, 4WD

The factory OEM fill plug is an ALLEN style but I can't get my ALLENs into the space to see what is the right size. I know I have to CUT on but want to know the size I need before cutting. New plug is 3/8 square. I searched but can't find reference to the ALLEN size.
Found the posting: 5/16 Allen !!!

Thanks all

·
Registered
197 Posts
The rear diff is a classic example, having no drain plug... So it must not be serviceable, right!? Lol
Syringe that old dish water outta there and replace it with a quality gear oil every 2 years!
Same with the PTU...
Automatic tranny...? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Which also raises the question... Does the Escape run a Haldex AWD unit or....?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nope, not at all. Lots of online reading about our active torque coupling.

View attachment 75003
Oh, nice! I'll have to look into that. Looks like a clutch coupling? Surely not the same as the RS Focus AWD setup!?
I think it's clutch pack is in the rear diff?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Oh, nice! I'll have to look into that. Looks like a clutch coupling? Surely not the same as the RS Focus AWD setup!?
I think it's clutch pack is in the rear diff?
The picture I sent is the RDU, or rear drive unit. The active torque coupling and rear differential make up our rear drive unit. This is the same across much of Fords lineup. The Focus RS is similar in theory, but way more advanced than ours. The dynamic torque vectoring system used in the Ford Focus RS sends drive torque to the outer wheel, which actually pushes the car round the bend using power from the rear of the vehicle, and increases speed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Haven't seen anything posted yet. maybe you and I will be the first! I'm going to give it a shot, but it is pretty far down on my list.
Here is what I did for 2017 FE 1.5L 4WD: photo are also attached.
Plug type: 3/8"

Tool needed:
https://www.harborfreight.com/Serpentine-Belt-Tool-Kit-63689.html, this one is long and slim give me enough torque to remove the plug
2.https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-38-in-drive-dual-head-ratchet-67993.html, this one is short and slim, once it was loose, you can use this one.
2017_FE_4WD.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, just did wife's 2013.
Do not believe the maintenance schedule, I did hers at 30,000 and rear diff and ptu were black, and heavy on the magnets.

As they said ptu is easy. Rear diff was a 5/16" Allen, cut off 3/4" using a racheting box end.

It was 1/2 quart low with no leaks showing, based on what I caught in vacuum system.
And yes all was done thru fill hole.

Also trans fluid was just changing color, no odor just color.

Hope this helps.
If ya have any questions I'll try to help.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just a rear diff, a transmission and a power transfer unit right next to the tranny.

I was just playing with you. The rear diff has no drain plug. And the rear sub-frame is almost right up against the fill plug. Here in this picture you can see that the gap between the fill plug and the sub-frame is barely enough to get an allen wrench in there. You my have to cut the allen wrench down a little. Let alone getting your tube in there to suck out the old fluid. Really poor design. I guess its another "throw away" unit that never needs servicing. Remember, life of the vehicle = warranty + 1 day.

The PTU looks doable, and its on my target list.

FYI, the PTU gear oil change is super, super easy. Just did it 3 days ago.... T50 bit for both the drain & fill plugs; a small piece of hose (like 10mm ??) attached to the nozzle tip of just about any quart-size gear oil and squeeze it back in.

·
Registered
605 Posts
FYI, the PTU gear oil change is super, super easy. Just did it 3 days ago.... T50 bit for both the drain & fill plugs; a small piece of hose (like 10mm ??) attached to the nozzle tip of just about any quart-size gear oil and squeeze it back in.
Or get one of these which can be used to drain and refill oil. I used one of these through the dipstick tube to drain off excess oil my dealer service dept. put in the sump and they work great.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Does it work good with what I expect will be gooey & clumpy gear oil?
I don't know the diameter of the drain hole but I would imagine it would work fine with the larger supplied hose if it fits. It has a pump action which sucks the stuff out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1/4 to 5/16 OD hose is about all you can get to make the transition with the space you have to work with. 3/8 will fit it hole, but kinks getting inside, and no way to get it to bend back down into bottom.
And yes first time will be thick and slow to pull out.
At least that what I had going on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
1/4 to 5/16 OD hose is about all you can get to make the transition with the space you have to work with. 3/8 will fit it hole, but kinks getting inside, and no way to get it to bend back down into bottom.
And yes first time will be thick and slow to pull out.
At least that what I had going on.

Ty

·
Registered
1 Posts
Search for slippery Pete quart bottle pumps on Amazon. By far the quickest and easiest gear oil transfer system. I threw away my old suction tube transfer device. Constantly leaked and was a PIA to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 40 Posts