2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried other brands of Mercon LV trans fluid, such as Pennzoil Mercon LV full syn. trans. fluid or others out there?? Should it matter what brand as long as it says Mercon LV or does it have to be Motorcraft??

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now the question is... Is the Motorcraft Mercon LV full syn, half syn. or not all all...If Ford says it can last 150k miles, which is nuts to me, you would think that is Full Syn...but nowhere on label or on line can you find the right answer....some say it is, some say no.....If you put Full syn.Mercon LV in , would it cause problems??..These are the questions that boggle the mines of DIYERS.....

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
....These are the questions that boggle the mines [sic] of DIYERS.....
Not if you stick with Motorcraft Mercon LV.

Per https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=MERCON%AE+LV+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid Motorcraft Mercon LV is "... manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils..." which means it might qualify to be called "Synthetic Technology" (Group III) under the weird labeling schemes allowed in the US. Group III being 'dino'-base oils that can be labeled "Synthetic Technology". Note that Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF says it's a "Synthetic Technology" fluid so it's most likely a dino-base Group III lubricant.

In theory, any oil displaying "Ford Mercon(r) LV Approval" with an MLV license number (those are specific to the blending facility) should meet the Ford Mercon(r) LV spec. FWIW Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF does say they have that approval (with three different blending facility licenses listed on page 2).

Just curious, what's the incentive / reason to use other than Motorcraft? Cost? Would you run a fluid labeled "synthetic" (not knowing the base oil Group) longer than you run Motorcraft (and if so, why do you 'trust' the longevity claims of another bottler but not Motorcraft)? Or ....?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Centex for the info...The reason behind this is I would never keep the trans. fluid in there that long no matter manufacturer or what type, but rather whats best for the longevity of the transmission..regardless of cost...I see changing at 20-30k no matter what...maybe sooner....Still wish I had that Dipstick...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I took mine to the dealer at 50k miles, $210 to flush it and used 12 quarts of fluid. I'll do it again at 100k miles. The price of 12 quarts, plus disposing of the old, and the mess, and my time, it was worth the money at the dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Thanks Centex for the info...The reason behind this is I would never keep the trans. fluid in there that long no matter manufacturer or what type, but rather whats best for the longevity of the transmission..regardless of cost...I see changing at 20-30k no matter what...maybe sooner....Still wish I had that Dipstick...
Fair enough, but still doesn't answer "Why DIY with a brand other than Motorcraft?"

I can't see why one would expect a multi-vehicle product to be any 'better' than genuine single-purpose Mercon LV. Especially since the base oils are the same (neither is a 'true' synthetic-molecule fluid).

IMHO the main reason for a multi-vehicle product is to make life easier (and the product more attractive) for folks that service lots of different vehicles (reduces the need to stock different vehicle-specific products), not to make a 'better' product for any particular vehicle.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair enough, but still doesn't answer "Why DIY with a brand other than Motorcraft?"

I can't see why one would expect a multi-vehicle product to be any 'better' than genuine single-purpose Mercon LV. Especially since the base oils are the same (neither is a 'true' synthetic-molecule fluid).

IMHO the main reason for a multi-vehicle product is to make life easier (and the product more attractive) for folks that service lots of different vehicles (reduces the need to stock different vehicle-specific products), not to make a 'better' product for any particular vehicle.
If I knew the another brand was better , regardless of cost, I would use it, That's why I asked...Most
full SYN. products tend to give better service life and protection in most categories.... I'm already using Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 Full Syn..with a Wix XP filter....Almost as soon as I switched, you noticed how quiet the engine becomes, so much, when you come to a stop,, you wonder if the engine stopped running....If I knew there's a better and safe Mercon LV trans.fluid, I would use it too...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Transmission Fluid Options?

recently purchased a 2017 SE 2.0 i'll be using for occasional towing. going through the towing forum it seems trans temps are a bit of an issue on longer runs or altitude.

has anyone used aftermarket fluids in their trans?

i've always switched to AMSOIL ATF in my last few vehicles [toyotas] and was impressed by the performance.

they make a MERCON LV compatible fluid

i can't be the only one wondering if the factory fluid is a weak point though nothing turned up on searching these forums

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
recently purchased a 2017 SE 2.0 i'll be using for occasional towing. going through the towing forum it seems trans temps are a bit of an issue on longer runs or altitude.

i've always switched to AMSOIL ATF in my last few vehicles [toyotas] and was impressed by the performance.

i can't be the only one wondering if the factory fluid is a weak point though nothing turned up on searching these forums

thanks!
I merged your thread with this existing thread on different brands of transmission fluid.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

thanks!
Mercon LV is the only choice. Everybody with any credibility says to NOT deviate from using mercon LV.

I just traded in my 2013 with 122000 miles and the transmission ran great. I did a double drain and fill at 20,000 (50 miles in between the 2), then a single drain and fill every 20-30k after that. No issues.

Checked the fluid level when I did the 20000k service, then checked it again around 100,000.

·
Registered
192 Posts
30,000 mile transmission flush????

Can anyone tell me why Ford Quicklane wants me to do a 30,000 mile transmission flush ($195.00) even though I don't drive a police car or do Taxi service? Service manual says 125,000 miles.

2015 Escape Titanium 2.0L AWD

·
Registered
462 Posts
Can anyone tell me why Ford Quicklane wants me to do a 30,000 mile transmission flush ($195.00) even though I don't drive a police car or do Taxi service? Service manual says 125,000 miles.

2015 Escape Titanium 2.0L AWD
Because the dealer is thinking of preventative maintenance, not Lifetime maintenance which is what you should be doing as well.

It's been covered in several other threads. Most recommendations in the manual are for "normal" service vs severe duty. Normal service means you NEVER see extremes (i call it la-la land). Severe duty is more about real day-to-day use (reality). Can you guarantee you transmission fluid has NEVER EVER seen temperatures above 220F or will NEVER EVER see them for 125,000 miles? Probably not. Hitting 220F for 20 or 30 minutes even once can half a transmission fluids life (from the ideal 100,000K to 50K or less). A fluid exchange/flush every 30K, 40K or 50K will help to make your transmission last the life of the vehicle. If you want to skip the maintenance, no problem but your transmission will not last as long.

Here's a nice vid to give you an idea of how bad fluid can get well before the manual's stated interval. Manuals are not the gospel when it comes to maintenance. They are guidance for ideal conditions.

Maintenance depends on your driving habits and the reality of the various conditions you drive in every single day. Most DIYers and reputable dealers will have a more realistic maintenance interval to make your vehicle last longer.

If it were up to manuals, most never mention brake fluid so that would lead you to believe it never needs to be done. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Getting back to the topic, if you change the fluid at a regular interval then using other fluids besides Motorcraft can be a waste of money. As long as you stay away from "Universal Fluids" which just load up on a bunch of additives that you don't need and add to gunk you'll be fine just using Motrocraft fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a case of Motorcraft Mercon LV from Rock Auto, at $4.19 a Qt you can't beat the price compared to $8.29 at my local A/P store. I hope I never have to pay anyone to do routine service work, I've seen too much sloppy work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Interesting that in the video that 14TheRoad posted that the tech mentioned that Mercon LV breaks down fast, although in comparison to other fluids no one says. Still though I like Dave Buzek's Rock Auto deal on Mercon LV. I guess lots of changes are a necessity, just like 50 years ago.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Interesting that in the video that 14TheRoad posted that the tech mentioned that Mercon LV breaks down fast, although in comparison to other fluids no one says. Still though I like Dave Buzek's Rock Auto deal on Mercon LV. I guess lots of changes are a necessity, just like 50 years ago.
Not sure if I would go as far as to say the fluid is bad in a short amount of time. But the facts are:

Mercon LV turns dark sooner than some other ATF’s. Doesn’t mean it’s completely toast,it’s just the nature of it. Truth is, your engine oil turns dark soon after an oil change. Doesn’t mean it’s bad.

The frequency of trans flushes really depends on how you have used the transmission and how long you want to keep it.

If you go to the track or tow often, then change it often.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The LV in the name Mercon LV stands for Low Viscosity, it has a higher flow rate and less resistance at various temperatures than the fluid it replaces, Mercon V. Since Makuloco is a Ford guy, I presume his comparison is LV vs V.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts