2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not sure if I would go as far as to say the fluid is bad in a short amount of time. But the facts are:

Mercon LV turns dark sooner than some other ATF’s. Doesn’t mean it’s completely toast,it’s just the nature of it. Truth is, your engine oil turns dark soon after an oil change. Doesn’t mean it’s bad.

The frequency of trans flushes really depends on how you have used the transmission and how long you want to keep it.

If you go to the track or tow often, then change it often.
Entirely true but if you look at the fluid you can tell in the vids, it's wasted. Smelling it also helps but can't do that on a vid for obvious reasons. Dark by itself doesn't mean bad but the stuff in the video was sludgy and brown/black, not just darker'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
12 Quarts?

I took mine to the dealer at 50k miles, $210 to flush it and used 12 quarts of fluid. I'll do it again at 100k miles. The price of 12 quarts, plus disposing of the old, and the mess, and my time, it was worth the money at the dealer.

Hi, I'm just curious: Why 12qts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
FWIW, I wasn't paying attention on my Trans Fluid change & I'm now at 92K Miles on it. No problems & the trans performs great. That said, I hang my head in shame & I'm ordering new fluid after this post.

Anyway, it seems that the Mercon LV just gets ugly, really fast. But that is apparently normal.

Here's a Video regarding Mercon LV fluid appearance from a Ford Tech who knows his stuff :

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
You can only drain ~ 4 qt at a time from the transmission. So if u drain and fill 4qts, 3 times you get about 85% of the old fluid out. It a typical method for automatic transmission
The member was asking about 12 quarts in reference to a transmission flush. That is different than a drain and fill. The fluid exchange machine that is used will typically use more fluid than the total capacity of the transmission. The 6F35 has a total capacity of 9 quarts, so a fluid exchange machine using 12 quarts sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need to open the transmission to replace a solenoid. I have 160,000km only, 2013 2l turbo. The fluid is actually pretty dirty for the mileage. My 5.7; Jeep trans fluid is still red with double the mileage. Are these cars just hard on the transmissions? Is there a fluid that I should use to maybe last me a bit longer?

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
I need to open the transmission to replace a solenoid. I have 160,000km only, 2013 2l turbo. The fluid is actually pretty dirty for the mileage. My 5.7; Jeep trans fluid is still red with double the mileage. Are these cars just hard on the transmissions? Is there a fluid that I should use to maybe last me a bit longer?
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic. There are other threads if you do a search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mercon LV is the only choice. Everybody with any credibility says to NOT deviate from using mercon LV.

I just traded in my 2013 with 122000 miles and the transmission ran great. I did a double drain and fill at 20,000 (50 miles in between the 2), then a single drain and fill every 20-30k after that. No issues.

Checked the fluid level when I did the 20000k service, then checked it again around 100,000.
See now I have a Jeep WK, 300,000km. Trans fluid is still red, original fluid. I'd say the Mercon LV is a terrible choice for replacement if it only lasts 20% of it's recommended life. A recommended life that is half of other choices.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
See now I have a Jeep WK, 300,000km. Trans fluid is still red, original fluid. I'd say the Mercon LV is a terrible choice for replacement if it only lasts 20% of it's recommended life. A recommended life that is half of other choices.
Here’s the issue. It’s not what I want to use, but what has been designed for that transmission. I have no idea what the fluid additive package is in LV, but it’s what my transmission was designed for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here’s the issue. It’s not what I want to use, but what has been designed for that transmission. I have no idea what the fluid additive package is in LV, but it’s what my transmission was designed for.
That fluid was absolutely not designed for the transmission. They built the transmission and then figured out what fluid would do ok. The fact that you need to change it every other oil change is proof that it's garbage.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
That fluid was absolutely not designed for the transmission. They built the transmission and then figured out what fluid would do ok. The fact that you need to change it every other oil change is proof that it's garbage.
Sounds like you have things totally figured out and under control. Forge ahead!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts