2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Titanium
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I recently took my `17 FE to a local shop to have the spark plugs replaced and a drain and fill performed on the transmission. Got the car back and everything seemed fine, great actually (smoother low end power delivery, better shifting), but twice I noticed that when accelerating hard from a stop the transmission (I assume) would make a loud whining sound, similar to a supercharger or straight cut gears. I've tried several times now to duplicate it but it's been quiet. If it is the trans, it's definitely on the input side as the pitch changed with engine RPM. The whine went away as soon as I let up off the throttle, and makes no odd sound at all during normal driving. After the second time it did that I started looking over the paperwork from the shop a little closer and noticed that they didn't do a drain and fill as requested but a full flush using 9qts of fluid, and they flushed it with Mercon V, not LV. So now I have several questions. First is what would cause the whine? My first thought is low fluid level, but would the slightly thicker V fluid cause it? Second, what are the potential consequences of the trans having V instead of LV fluid in it? Is it OK to leave in or should I demand they flush that out of there immediately with the correct fluid? I will admit that it shifts much better with the V fluid. I was having some 1-2 shift shudder than has mostly been eliminated. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts