2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I just bought a new (to me) 2017 Escape SE a few days ago. Since then, I have noticed that when I shift from reverse to drive after just starting the car there is a slight hesitation. The car will buck if I let off the brake too early. I always make sure to completely stop the vehicle before changing gears. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what was the culprit? I have an appointment next week for the dealer to take a look at it. Luckily the powertrain is still under warranty! Thanks!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hello everyone!

I just bought a new (to me) 2017 Escape SE a few days ago. Since then, I have noticed that when I shift from reverse to drive after just starting the car there is a slight hesitation. The car will buck if I let off the brake too early. I always make sure to completely stop the vehicle before changing gears. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what was the culprit? I have an appointment next week for the dealer to take a look at it. Luckily the powertrain is still under warranty! Thanks!
Could be the fluid is low and or dirty.. How many miles on her??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
42,000 miles. It’s a certified vehicle I don’t know if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine has been hesitating like that since new. I never really thought much of it as it only does it on very cold days first thing in the morning. Also my driveway is down hill so parking the car not level may have something to do with it. Is your parking spot level?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I park it in my garage which is level. I took it to the dealer a while back and they tested it out and told me that everything is operating as designed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same issue with our 2016 Escape. It would shudder after shifting from reverse to drive if we didn’t wait 2-4 seconds before accelerating. Tell your dealer that there is a TSB 16-2037 that says to re-flash Powertrain Control Module. There have been no issues since we’ve had it done.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I agree with the advice given.

1. Verify that there are no computer updates that may effect transmission and if any Technical Service Bulletins exist for yours.

2. One question for you. Does this symptom happen ONLY when the vehicle is cold and hasn't been run for a long period of time, OR does it happen every time you start it? I wasn't sure about that from your description. If it only happens the first time of the day, then maybe the dealer wasn't able to replicate it unless you left it overnight?

2. In the absence of no updates or TSBs, I absolutely would ask them to perform a transmission fluid service. At 42,000 miles, unless you have believable evidence that this transmission has been serviced before, it's time. Certified pre-owned doesn't mean much for your transmission, considering that Ford, in their infinite wisdom, feels that the transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed until 150,000 miles. So they could certainly give this Escape a "Certified Pre-Owned" designation. 150,000 mile transmission fluid change is an irresponsible and ridiculous recommendation and has way more to do with marketing of vehicles that have low service costs than anything else, but to be fair....Ford isn't the only manufacturer that does it. No transmission fluid lasts that long. Ask anybody that owns a transmission shop that same question and you'll get universal agreement that it doesn't. I have a friend who is a Master ASE Technician at the local Ford dealership and he agrees, we have discussed this topic at length. And BTW, he sees more than a few of these 6F35 transmissions fail prematurely.

3. If your Escape is an all wheel drive, it's time to service the PTU (power transfer unit) fluid as well. Do both at the same time.

Fluids are the "lifeblood" of your vehicle. Besides not beating your vehicle, all you can do to prolong life of expensive components like the transmission and PTU is to service the fluids. So why not choose maintenance over repairs...it is much, much easier on your pocketbook.

Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Also when starting cold, over night sitting, before I put it into reverse, I connect my seat belt and shut off the stop/start thingy and that gives the transmission enough time for the fluid to circulate so you shouldn't get any hesitation or kicks....Just don't ram it into gear the second it starts...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I just got a transmission drain and fill. The problem remains. I also tested my 2017 against my aunt’s 2019. They shift similarly, but my aunt’s might be a tad quicker.
My delayed shift only occurs in the morning after it has sat for a number of hours. When I took it to the dealer, I dropped it off at 7:30am when they opened and they didn’t test it until much later. I am going to go to a transmission shop and see what they think. If they find a problem, I’ll take it to the Ford dealer and have them fix it while it’s under warranty.
Also, as far as I could tell, the transmission TSB that EscapefromRWCY was talking about applied only to the 2016, not the 2017 that I have.
Thank you all for your input! I’ll keep you posted on the results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts