2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

TRANSMISSION Replace Timeframe

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  alan_mac 
#1 ·
Hello all thanks in advance for the valuable information I’ll receive

I have a 2018 Escape SE it has been my favorite auto i have every owned . Over the weekend i developed a transmission issue, took it to a shop i impeccably trust ( with over 300 respondents they have a 5.0 rating)
they told me the transmission needs to be replaced and i am supposing due to COVID 19 it will take 2 month‘s (end of May) for the part to arrive ??
i run a small in home appliance repair business and with out a vehicle it is next to impossible to operate a in customers home repair service ,so i am unofficially unemployed until i can drive my Escape again. It’s my work/personal vehicle and i have no spare vehicles
Any idea why it will take 2 months to get the Transmission ??

#2 · (Edited)
Hi. Welcome. Sorry for your issue.

Highly recommend a second opinion on a big-ticket repair. Could be transmission, as discussed a lot on here.

Story ... Friend in grad school's car had no power years ago. Firestone said he needed a new transmission.

I said he needed a second opinion. We took it together to a transmission shop. Owner said that he wanted to drive it, and he took it out for a test drive with us in the car. We came back and he said that he doesn't know what it is, but he knows it's not the transmission.

He told us to take it up the street to a friend mechanic of his and say that he sent us. Told us to ask that the mechanic back off the exhaust manifold bolts. He suspected that the engine wasn't breathing. His friend mechanic did that and confirmed that it was a collapsed catalytic converter.

#3 ·
And another anecdote....
Girl down the street had a 2015 Focus that slipped and kicked, the tranny shop told her it needed new clutch packs. Guy jumped straight to it being a PS6 (if you want to read a real horror story) even though it had a 6F35 in it.
Real cause, two (2) bad coil packs and a set of plugs.

#5 ·
Gawd that thing was a classic case of bad engineering, take a manual tranny, put an automatic clutch on it AND use the tranny fluid to cool the PCM.
The Ford clutch replacement plates just bandaided the problem for a few months, if you wanted it to last for more than 12k miles you used Borg Warner and if it was slipping the overheated fluid killed the PCM.

#7 ·
How many miles. Has it had a fluid change. I would get a second opinion. There are plenty of used transmissions with low miles out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.