2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Escape 59,000 miles has a rough shift from 1st to 2nd. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a transmission temperature sensor and they had to replace the transmission wiring harness main frame, The service adviser said it would require the vehicle to remain overnight as they had to remove the inner fender to get to it. when i drove home i still had the same issue.When looking at the repair order the tech indicated that after the repair he topped off the transmission fluid, Since there is no dipstick , i called another dealer, and inquired how they would know if the transmission was filled to the proper level.The person explained that the plug on the side of the transmission is removed and fluid is added until it runs out of the hole. I looked at the plug and it still had the factory seal. I took a picture and showed it to the service manager at the servicing dealer and asked him how they could have determined the transmission was full.He said he did not know and to bring the vehicle back and they would check it and do a test drive.

Could someone advise if low fluid would cause a rough shift ?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Could someone advise if low fluid would cause a rough shift ?
Yes...and that is the first thing the dealer should have checked, however if the plug still has the factory seal it appears they did not do this.
From your post it looks like the diagnosis of a faulty trannie temperature sensor etc. was just a wild guess if the problem is still there unless it showed up in a fault code.
Please let us know the result of your next dealer visit. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you should consider using a different dealership to try to get to the root cause of your issue.
I was thinking about it but it is now out of warranty and my feeling is if the repair started before warranty expiration the dealer should cover it. Im tempted to remove the plug and add fluid myself.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I was thinking about it but it is now out of warranty and my feeling is if the repair started before warranty expiration the dealer should cover it. Im tempted to remove the plug and add fluid myself.
It's the dealers responsibility if you reported it before the warranty expired.
I understand your frustration but if you interfere with it at this stage they may wipe their hands of it. They are probably aware that you know they didn't check the oil level. Just insist they do so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried calling the dealer. Service manager not returning phone calls.Called Ford customer relations and they do not have email feature to chat. Suggested i go to another dealer for second opinion but i would have to pay for it.

Does anyone know if the 6F35 transmission requires removal to replace transmission internal wiring harness frame or can it be accessed by removing inside fender ?
Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you Are talking about the solenoid wiring harness, it is accessable without removing the transmission. There is a pan on the front of the tranmision behind the radiator under the airclaner housing. It can be removed as well as the valebody and solenoids.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is probably it. Ford description is internal wiring harness frame. The RO indicates the fluid was " topped off "
I thought if you added fluid you have to remove the side transmission plug for the correct fluid level.

·
Registered
755 Posts
That is probably it. Ford description is internal wiring harness frame. The RO indicates the fluid was " topped off "
I thought if you added fluid you have to remove the side transmission plug for the correct fluid level.
Yes, you do have to remove that plug to 'top it off' as they claim. Don't know how they managed to check and add fluid if the plug factory seal is not broken as you mentioned earlier.
To my knowledge there are only 2 plugs, one to drain the fluid and another at the side to add fluid until it runs out of the hole. Normally though, you would not need to add fluid unless there is a leak, however at 59,000 miles it would probably need changing anyway and this may fix the issue.

If the problem was reported to the dealer and the 'repair' started before the warranty expired I would be getting onto Ford Customer Relations again and putting pressure on them to contact the original dealer and put a bomb under them to fix it as they are apparently avoiding you.
That is the purpose of 'customer relations' and it usually results in some action being taken.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i looked at the front main cover .No evidence of wrench marks on the bolts i could see. I would have thought that their would have been some fluid loss also no evidence of finger marks . I will call ford when i get back from a trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
if you've seen the procedure its quite messy, the fluid would run down the casing. Unless the area looks much cleaner than everything around it thats a dead giveaway that they didn't do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally was able to connect with the dealer. Went for a drive with the service manager with him driving. He noticed a rough shift and said to leave the car and provided a loaner. They kept the car for 3 days. He called me and said he and the shop foreman drove and they agreed there is a hesitation. He said they were on the tech line with Ford and that was a characteristic of the transmission and that there were no codes and the fluid was full and clean. Ill drive it as i have an extended warranty.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You make me happy my dealer is decent. However, the previous Ford dealer was a nightmare. I won't even let my insurance make me use them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts