2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post but 2-week lurker after buying a used 2013 Escape SEL 2.0, 23k miles. Build date is something around August 2012 I believe. I appreciate all the information here.

I wanted to get some experiences to give me an idea if something is wrong. One thing I've found with my new-to-me Escape is that shifting from 2nd into 3rd always has a delay, it's a longer shift then any other gears. It's one of those shifts where you catch yourself instinctively leaning forward slightly to combat momentum because it hangs for a second before completing the shift. Going from 1st to 2nd is acceptably quick, fraction of a second. Then 2nd to 3rd feels like it hangs in-between gears for about a second (maybe slightly longer) before completing. Third into 4th and so on are all fine.

In driving the vehicle with varying temperatures, it seems to do this from anywhere 15F-50F (it could do it in hotter weather, this is the only temperature I've driven the vehicle at so far).

Has anyone else seen something like this? I'm trying to determine if this is a nature of the transmission in this vehicle or if it could be signs of a problem.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Hmmmm. Not sure how it is supposed to feel. Have you checked your trans fluid? I guess there is no dip stick, but there is a drain hole. You should check to see what color and the smell. If it is burnt and/or black/brown you should get it looked at for sure.

Sounds like, it could be the clutch plates wearing/burning out for that shift change. I hope someone with some experience and model year can comment and help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
See my post here on my hang shift 2nd to 3rd usually worse when cold .

Includes video of my 2013 FE with a huge hang shift at 4000 RPM and transmission whine .
Transmission Hang Shift Post

Issue fixed
. Found transmission was 2 quarts low on fluid . - Leak at left front axle seal . Ford dealer replaced the Seal, Bushing and half shaft . Topped off transmission fluid . Drove it home and it shifted much better .
When it got it back I also changed the transmission oil ( 4.5 quarts) at 68000 miles. I plan on changing another 4.5 quarts in another 30,000 miles. Used Mercon LV fluid as recommended.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine does the EXACT SAME THING. mine is a 14 2.0 titanium fwd build of 09/14. Been thinking it was just normal but its almost too weird to keep ignoring. You explained it perfectly, worse when cold after first takeoff then seems to get better. Mine only has 7k mi tho ???

·
Registered
145 Posts
same here. seems to hang/slip on the 2 into 3 shift more so cold then warm. after it warms up no more issue, so imm normal for the transmission model

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Everyone check your oil level in the trans! There is not a dip stick :( but from the other trans thread, I found there is a adding plug on the side. You add the oil until it slowly drains from the hole.

·
Registered
982 Posts
First post but 2-week lurker after buying a used 2013 Escape SEL 2.0, 23k miles. Build date is something around August 2012 I believe. I appreciate all the information here.

I wanted to get some experiences to give me an idea if something is wrong. One thing I've found with my new-to-me Escape is that shifting from 2nd into 3rd always has a delay, it's a longer shift then any other gears. It's one of those shifts where you catch yourself instinctively leaning forward slightly to combat momentum because it hangs for a second before completing the shift. Going from 1st to 2nd is acceptably quick, fraction of a second. Then 2nd to 3rd feels like it hangs in-between gears for about a second (maybe slightly longer) before completing. Third into 4th and so on are all fine.

In driving the vehicle with varying temperatures, it seems to do this from anywhere 15F-50F (it could do it in hotter weather, this is the only temperature I've driven the vehicle at so far).

Has anyone else seen something like this? I'm trying to determine if this is a nature of the transmission in this vehicle or if it could be signs of a problem.

There is a TSB for slow shifting at lower temperatures.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
First of all, I want to say welcome to the neighborhood, blurredvision! :D

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

I wanted to get some experiences to give me an idea if something is wrong. One thing I've found with my new-to-me Escape is that shifting from 2nd into 3rd always has a delay, it's a longer shift then any other gears...
Mine does the EXACT SAME THING. mine is a 14 2.0 titanium fwd build of 09/14. Been thinking it was just normal but its almost too weird to keep ignoring. You explained it perfectly, worse when cold after first takeoff then seems to get better. Mine only has 7k mi tho ???
Hey guys,

Let me get this escalated. Please private message (PM) your full name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

same here. seems to hang/slip on the 2 into 3 shift more so cold then warm. after it warms up no more issue, so imm normal for the transmission model
Hello ocean48,

Which model year is your Escape, and what’s the current mileage?

Hmmmm. Not sure how it is supposed to feel. Have you checked your trans fluid? I guess there is no dip stick, but there is a drain hole. You should check to see what color and the smell. If it is burnt and/or black/brown you should get it looked at for sure.

Sounds like, it could be the clutch plates wearing/burning out for that shift change. I hope someone with some experience and model year can comment and help!
Issue fixed[/B][/COLOR][/U] . Found transmission was 2 quarts low on fluid . - Leak at left front axle seal . Ford dealer replaced the Seal, Bushing and half shaft . Topped off transmission fluid . Drove it home and it shifted much better...
There is a TSB for slow shifting at lower temperatures.
The dealer, the TSB is a PCM reflash.
Mark
Hi guys!

You’re totally awesome when it comes to giving support to one another, and I love it! If you decide to tackle a task on your own it’s okay. Don’t hesitate to go to your Ford Dealer, and contact me if you get stuck on anything. I’ll be happy to check my resources.

Since this weekend is all about showing love, I figured I’ll give you all a little gift. Continue to keep your vehicle in great shape by using the Maintenance Schedule .This tool makes helpful recommendations on when to service it next.

Have a great weekend! ;)

Tricia

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks leadmic for the heads up?. Tricia how should i tell the dealer about this? If you could get the ball rolling, i bought the car from allan vigil ford in morrow ga, bout to go in for first oil change it would be great to have it fixed while it is in!! Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks leadmic for the heads up?. Tricia how should i tell the dealer about this? If you could get the ball rolling, i bought the car from allan vigil ford in morrow ga, bout to go in for first oil change it would be great to have it fixed while it is in!! Thanks
send Tricia a PM with your name, phone numbers, VIN. milage and the dealer your dealing with name and city.

T

i am not worrying about mine. it slips cold since new and is about to be turned in for a special order 2015 due at the dealer around the 23rd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am not worrying about mine.

Wish I could say the same! My expectations are that this vehicle will last me at least 8 years without major problems. I've been spoiled over the last 16 years in that I've had exactly 2 cars (both Pontiac Grand Prix) and neither had any issues whatsoever, just regular maintenance.

Tricia, I've sent my info over, I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
send Tricia a PM with your name, phone numbers, VIN. milage and the dealer your dealing with name and city.

i am not worrying about mine. it slips cold since new and is about to be turned in for a special order 2015 due at the dealer around the 23rd.
ocean48,

Thanks for the mention, and I’ll be here if you need any updates! :)

You're welcome, Blurredvision.

I replied to your PM, and please send the requested info. I’ll be happy to get it escalated at that time! :D

I sent her a pm havent heard anything been 4-5 days
Hello Maloy99,

Unfortunately, I do not work on the weekends but the first PM I received from you was on 2/13/15. Did you send one earlier than that date? I’ve since replied and provided updates. Are you still having an issue receiving them as you informed me of today? If so, maybe there is something in your settings that is not allowing you to receive messages from me. Try checking your inbox again, and let me know if you’ve gotten anything because I am receiving your messages.

Tricia

·
Registered
52 Posts

ocean48,

Thanks for the mention, and I?ll be here if you need any updates!

You're welcome, Blurredvision.

I replied to your PM, and please send the requested info. I?ll be happy to get it escalated at that time!

I sent her a pm havent heard anything been 4-5 days
Hello Maloy99,

Unfortunately, I do not work on the weekends but the first PM I received from you was on 2/13/15. Did you send one earlier than that date? I?ve since replied and provided updates. Are you still having an issue receiving them as you informed me of today? If so, maybe there is something in your settings that is not allowing you to receive messages from me. Try checking your inbox again, and let me know if you?ve gotten anything because I am receiving your messages.

Tricia
Thanks, yes i will apologize for being impatient my fault, but no i still cant see any of your messages. I have been doing all of this from my phone maybe if i use a desktop computer things will change. I will let you know either way

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok so the representative contacted me in regards to my issue. She claimed there is no tsb for a trans problem for my vin #? I do have an appointment with the dealer to drop off the car and let them "diagnose" the issue. My other question is do i not get a rental for leaving my car? This is my first new vehicle so bare with me. I know the transmission is not acting right, if this is how it was designed, i dont want it.
Thanks again tricia

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Ok so the representative contacted me in regards to my issue. She claimed there is no tsb for a trans problem for my vin #? I do have an appointment with the dealer to drop off the car and let them "diagnose" the issue. My other question is do i not get a rental for leaving my car? This is my first new vehicle so bare with me. I know the transmission is not acting right, if this is how it was designed, i dont want it.
Thanks again tricia
Hello Maloy99,

It depends on the dealership, as they are all independently owned and operated. If you've purchased an ESP, you would have to read through the terms to see if a rental/loaner is part of the selected plan. I recommend contacting the dealer and speaking with the service manager.

I’ll be sure to note this in your case, and let me know if you need anything else! :)

Tricia

1 - 20 of 128 Posts