2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am having same slow up shift. Almost feels like a stall in between 3-4 gear. I read a solenoid needs to be replaced, others saying a reflash has helped. Looking for definitive answer. Fluid has been changed every 50K with 3 drain/refills. Started acting up with 103K easy miles.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I am having same slow up shift. Almost feels like a stall in between 3-4 gear. I read a solenoid needs to be replaced, others saying a reflash has helped. Looking for definitive answer. Fluid has been changed every 50K with 3 drain/refills. Started acting up with 103K easy miles.
How about the fluid level? Has that ever been checked?

·
Registered
429 Posts
It will be difficult to get a definite answer without further investigation. Like the engine, the transmission can store codes related to faults or pending faults. Start there. I'm not sure how a vehicle without an O/D (overdrive) light will tell you but, in cars that have that light, itt will blink or stay lit to tell you there is a transmission malfunction/code that is pending or stored.

You'll need a scanner/code reader that can see and read the transmission to tell you if anything is pending or recorded. If that yields nothing, the next step would be a full blown scanner to see ALL of the vehicles systems to see exactly what is going on when that problem shows up.

If the fluid is fine there's not much else you can do at this point. I would strongly advise against throwing parts at it. A reflash would be the next logical step or, since you have to go to the dealer anyway for that, have them diagnose the problem for you. The reflash will probably be done as part of the initial diagnostic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am glad to know i'm not alone. I had mine rebuilt at 50k miles and sadly the 2-3 shift is still not as smooth as any of the other gears (but its better). The key for me to not get a "could not reproduce" was to list exactly when it happens (for me its first in the morning and on the way to lunch at work). The other key seems to be if its just a delayed shift vs a mis-shift. Mine was mis-shifting, pop out of second, wait, pop into third. They found the bearing was worn and they replaced all the valves. What I have also found is it most appears when I am driving "abnormally" such as accelerating very fast vs slower, which leads me to believe its software vs hardware. If you're still within warranty I would document the conditions and relay them to the service department to have the best shot at resolution.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We had two Escapes, a 2014 and a 2016. The 2016 was a bad shifter from day one. It was clunky and I’m pretty sure it had that delay. Eventually, someone was driving it and it flashed a dramatic error message like “Get serviced immediately”. Something like that, a message you can’t ignore. Never seen anything line it. It went to the dealer and they replaced the entire transmission under warranty.

Then it worked fine, like the 2014. Until the turbo blew like 15k later.

Wouldn’t have been a bad used car to get. Under 70k with relatively new trans, new turbo, and brand new tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So this is my second escape. It’s the 2.0L T. I don’t know if anyone has this problem, but I find it shifts hard into second and third. Took it to Ford. Had them do the transmission case fluid change which they were nice enough to not tighten the cap on which cause fluid to go everywhere over the undercarriage causing It to have a nice burning oil smell for six months. They reset the transmission tables as well. The car still slams into those gears and they tell me it just does that. Third is definitely harder then second. The car has 97,000 miles on it and I’ve owned it since 51,000. I guess if it’s not broke don’t fix it, but I do wonder if anyone else has this problem...?

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,619 Posts
So this is my second escape. It’s the 2.0L T. I don’t know if anyone has this problem, but I find it shifts hard into second and third. Took it to Ford. Had them do the transmission case fluid change which they were nice enough to not tighten the cap on which cause fluid to go everywhere over the undercarriage causing It to have a nice burning oil smell for six months. They reset the transmission tables as well. The car still slams into those gears and they tell me it just does that. Third is definitely harder then second. The car has 97,000 miles on it and I’ve owned it since 51,000. I guess if it’s not broke don’t fix it, but I do wonder if anyone else has this problem...?
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same issue. If you don’t find an answer to your issue in the other posts here. There are a few other threads. In addition to the one that @murcod posted above.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a 2013 Escape Titanium 2.0 . Approx. 55K miles. Had the 2nd-3rd shift issue warm or cold. No signs of leaks anywhere. Did a trans fluid replacement, draining and replacing fluid 2 times. No change.

Dealer supposedly did a TCM reflash. No change. Never did get the issue resolved. In March I traded it in on a used 2018 Escape Titanium.

This transmission shifts as smooth as silk. Night and day difference.

Ford definitely had (has) a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a used 2016 ford escape 1.6L and it is shifting very slow like the first post in this thread mentions. Big lag in between a couple of the shift points. Sometimes it is really bad, other times just that annoying lag the post mentions. The dealer said the problem appears to be the fuel pressure sensor. The car only has 41K miles and is well within the 5 year/60K powertrain warranty but they said it will not cover it. Cant believe this isn't powertrain related. Does this sound like it could be the answer to the problem? Seems odd that would be the cause but they said they got a code back for part 9f972. Looks like a cheap one to replace and I can probably do it myself if I can find it in the engine bay. I can get the part for $50, they wanted $300 to $500+ for the part and labor. Thoughts?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I bought a used 2016 ford escape 1.6L and it is shifting very slow like the first post in this thread mentions. Big lag in between a couple of the shift points. Sometimes it is really bad, other times just that annoying lag the post mentions. The dealer said the problem appears to be the fuel pressure sensor. The car only has 41K miles and is well within the 5 year/60K powertrain warranty but they said it will not cover it. Cant believe this isn't powertrain related. Does this sound like it could be the answer to the problem? Seems odd that would be the cause but they said they got a code back for part 9f972. Looks like a cheap one to replace and I can probably do it myself if I can find it in the engine bay. I can get the part for $50, they wanted $300 to $500+ for the part and labor. Thoughts?
To my knowledge a faulty fuel sensor would not cause shifting problems. It would cause bad fuel mileage, poor acceleration and stalling as per this article and other Ford specific articles but I don't think it has anything to do with transmission dramas.

If you are going to pay for it anyway I would be inclined to get a transmission expert check it out.
If you are then advised it is a transmission issue this should be covered under Ford's powertrain warranty so get it in writing and go back to Ford otherwise you could find yourself shelling out $300 to $500 for Ford to fit a new fuel sensor and still have the issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
Looks like a cheap one to replace and I can probably do it myself if I can find it in the engine bay. I can get the part for $50, they wanted $300 to $500+ for the part and labor. Thoughts?
You're likely to have to open the high pressure fuel line to replace that pressure sensor. That would be really high pressure on a direct injection engine- so dangerous.

I guess fuel pressure sensor issues could affect the drive-ability of the vehicle when the auto is changing gears. The PCM would control both and it might be doing something bizarre if it gets the erroneous fuel pressure readings when gear changes are taking place.

If there's a fault logged the sensor should be replaced (or the fault investigated further); if it fixes the auto change issues then that would be a bonus.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If there's a fault logged the sensor should be replaced (or the fault investigated further); if it fixes the auto change issues then that would be a bonus.
Yeah...but was the fault logged? We don't know whether the dealer tripped a code or is just guessing as he said "it appears to be a fuel pressure sensor". No point guessing and going to the expense of replacing it if it is not the problem.

It needs further investigation as you say preferably by an independent source in my view if Ford won't do it especially if a fuel sensor problem was not detected by a code.
It may or may not affect the trannie problem with gear changes...who knows at this stage?

Some dealers often take the easy way out rather than commit to a warranty issue just to see what happens and hope for the best.
We have seen that many times on these forums...😒😒.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
As an added thought. Is it possible that a Ford dealer would resist doing warranty work because Ford would reimburse the dealer at "flat rate" whereas a customer would pay "shop rate"?

4 or 3.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m sure that is part of it. Feels wrong that a fuel pressure sensor attached to the fuel injection rail isn’t covered under powertrain. I brought the car home and said I will figure out what I want to do. They just called and said oh you need to come back out here regardless and pay a diagnostic fee of $150, we would have waived that if you let us fix it. I’m pretty sure all they did was do a quick scan. They never mentioned said fee when I dropped it off.

·
Registered
429 Posts
There is always a fee from any shop that diagnoses something unless it's warranty. Dealers are not infallible. If they hooked up the car to Forscan or some other ford diagnostic software, it would see things that a regular handheld could not see unless you have a $400-500+ scan tool that can see actual data from the ECM/ECU and know what you're looking for.

As far as it goes for shift feel. Does putting it in sport mode change anything? if it does, then I suspect the dealer guessed wrong as the fuel pressure sensor would affect both modes.

Maybe try another dealer and don't say anything about the first diagnosis? See what they say?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reading this now, I had a fault on the car for a Fuel Pressure Sensor a few months back. I reset it a few times so that I could use the remote start and it never came back after doing that. I'm having similar issues when shifting into 2nd and 3rd. The car starts to shift, you hear the engine rev high while the momentum pushes you forward, and then the car catches the gear.

2014 Ford Escape Titanium 1.6L

Is this normal with the trans? Anyone have a video or resource for checking the trans fluid without a god damn dipstick? I don't even know the code for the fuel pressure sensor, should I get that checked out by the dealer?

81 - 100 of 126 Posts